Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Simeon View Post
    Well I think it was released in March 2004... that's somewhat after xmas yes
    There's a difference: when you're almost ready to release for christmas, you release for christmas. When you're a few month away from release still at christmas, you forget about christmas.

Essentially it's a situation of weighting missing the christmas sales versus ******* off customers with bugs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [209] View Post
    i got the same label, and play the game it's really not finished yet, still some bugs in it so RC7 would be a correct way to label it
    Actually, a release candidate is deemed good enough for release.. it's not something like "alpha/beta" (that's earlier in development). Being a release candidate doesn't imply that it has bugs (though in large software projects like this, it inevitably will but that's a different topic), it just means that it's (one of the) final builds before release.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My DVD label also says "UT3_RC7". This is the Australian release.

Poor form Epic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i got the same label, and play the game it's really not finished yet, still some bugs in it so RC7 would be a correct way to label it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hocuspocus
    care pm me a link or post it here i couldnt seem to find what you are talking about.

or it could mean "release candidate 7, oh **** we dont have time to fix anything else" also wasnt ut2k4 was released after xmas, correct me if im wrong.
    Well I think it was released in March 2004... that's somewhat after xmas yes

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you know what release candidate means? It's a version that you expect to be stable enough to become the release.
    So, you label the first such build "RC1". Then you test it.

If there is an issue, you fix it and make a new build with an incremented number.

When you don't find any more issue that you consider a release show stopper, you decide that the current release candidate is the "gold master" and ship it to manufacturing.
    Hence, by definition, the last release candidate is the gold master. They just didn't rename the DVD, big deal.

(not that I do agree that the game was released too early, but the ugly video game industry realities says that you don't miss christmas or even thanksgiving, especially when you can just release a patch later)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hocuspocus
    i think what he was trying to say is... epic might have been rushed to release the game for the holidays, by their publisher. hence the RC7 label. even if they knew it wasnt ready yet. your guess is as good as mine if thats what really happened or not.
    Check the troubleshooting section for the answer to that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
    Mine says the same. Extremely unprofessional, I hate to say.
    Wha...? Since when is the label of a DVD you take out once to install the game then leave in the case important to anybody?

(NB: Still waiting for mine to arrive from Play.com... )

np: Bola - W.i.K (Soup)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fenrar View Post
    I think the CE is functional the same like the "regular" edition.
    There is just the cooler metallbox and some goodies like the little art-book and the second dvd with making-of and some construction-vids ...
    You would be correct.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Grisu View Post
    My label is "UT3_GLG_RC7", non CE!
    "RC" could stand for release candidate, yes.

Connecting to the master server seems fine here.
    I think the CE is functional the same like the "regular" edition.
    There is just the cooler metallbox and some goodies like the little art-book and the second dvd with making-of and some construction-vids ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mine says the same. Extremely unprofessional, I hate to say.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hellcat, read posts above if you dunno obvious things. RC stands for Release Candidate. Wonder what the first six were like

Leave a comment:

• replied
    RC = Region Code? Regular Cast? Really Cool? Roller Coaster?

uhm, I think it's just a simple product code, like 9874646R2GH5, or the such

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Release candidate = potential build for release. The retail version was probably RC7, they just didn't change the DVD label.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Fenrar View Post
    Hi ,

just bought the german version of UT3 and I'm a little bit irritated, because the label of the dvd is "UT3_RC7" ...

Is this the final version or just release candidate 7 ?

Other prob is, that when i try to create an account, it doesn't function and its stops with a message "... online-server blabla isn't online, try later ..."

Does anybody know about this problem ?
    So does my DVD (UK Version), don't worry about it, it's just a name,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X