Cd key invalid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number1SuperGuy View Post
    Try adding -nohomedir to the UT3 shortcut ("D:\games\unreal tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -nohomedir).

This will force all created files to be created local to where you installed the game rather than the \my documents folder.

Why the hell did they try to use the "my documents" folder for UT3 in the first place? Jesus Epic...
    alot of games are doing it these days

Comment

Originally posted by Lazymutant View Post
      alot of games are doing it these days
      Every PC is laid out differently based on a user's preferred file structure. I hate the "My Documents" folder. The only time I ever use it is for Microsoft Office files. No games should try to use it.

Comment

Why the hell did they try to use the "my documents" folder for UT3 in the first place?
        That's because Microsoft has introduced new guidelines since Vista. They don't want programs to write in the Program Files anymore; developers have to use the user folder (Documents and Settings --> My Documents) now.
        I don't really have a problem with it, as long as they all stay in My Games. Sometimes a game makes a subdirectory directly in My Documents, which messes up my own structure.

More on-topic: I had a similar experience today. I have played the game the last couple of days, and was suddenly asked for the CD key again. After I entered that, the autologin to Gamespy failed (something about the number of characters in the password). After retyping the password everything went to normal again. I did install the beta patch ... maybe that has something to do with it?

Comment

Dont you hate when this stuf happens :/ and it seems to always happen when you really dont want that to happen.

Comment

With the process of "-nohomedir"

How would you go about installing mods? Since there INI's seem to need to be placed in the mygames/ut3/utgame/config etc?

I take it by what no1superguy says you'd just bung them into the UT3 installed directory in program files or w/e yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by CameO73 View Post
              That's because Microsoft has introduced new guidelines since Vista. They don't want programs to write in the Program Files anymore; developers have to use the user folder (Documents and Settings --> My Documents) now.
              I don't really have a problem with it, as long as they all stay in My Games. Sometimes a game makes a subdirectory directly in My Documents, which messes up my own structure.

More on-topic: I had a similar experience today. I have played the game the last couple of days, and was suddenly asked for the CD key again. After I entered that, the autologin to Gamespy failed (something about the number of characters in the password). After retyping the password everything went to normal again. I did install the beta patch ... maybe that has something to do with it?
              It's also different under Vista:
              C:\Users\Name\Documents\My Games

So they are likely using the %userprofile% variable for the base reference.

Comment

Working...
              X