This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Impression: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

NOTE: These are OPINIONS. I do not consider what I say to be either the truth or the only word. And I hope I change my mind someday. I hope. So don't harrass me if you disagree. Just disagree.

The good
    1. Map and weapon design is fantastic
    2. Vehicle design and functionality are excellent and very cool

The Bad
    1. Almost zero customization (see "The Ugly" below)
    2. Bland, lackluster character design... take any really, really, really bad sci fi movie and photocopy 5 characters. that's it. Whoever did these characters deserves to retire... they've obviously been around for WAY too long and have no new ideas
    3. Sea-sickness-provoking movement with no way to change it... REALLY annoying
    4. Way, way, way too much emphasis on design and textures and way too little attention to basic, simple GAMEPLAY. I mean, seems like no one asked themselves the obvious question in the world: "What did UT2004 do well and how do we make sure those things are IN this game and not RUINED?" Did anyone on the development team ever go out and watch -- for a few weeks at least -- people who, for instance -- obsessively play UT2004 Onslaught online, and see what keeps them coming back night after night? Didn't ANYONE take ANY notes? Doesn't seem like it. Seems like they arrogantly tossed some of the best aspects of UT2004 over their shoulder in favor of designing Gears of War, "The UT Version"
    5. No spectating on online games anymore? No viewing who is IN online games anymore? No ability to do ... (could list about 100 things). And please don't tell me they will come out with all of that later... ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS PUT A NEW **** LOOK ON THE GREAT SAME OLD UT2004 ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY and they would have done three times better. How can you spend 4 years and have come up with ZERO innovation or even paying attention to what was done well ALREADY?

The Ugly
    1. Even a fifteen year old game designer -- if handed UT2004 and told to "design the next best version of that" -- would think... I KNOW, GIVE PLAYERS MORE CHOICE! Um... what the hell was going on over there at Epic for 4 years? I mean, it seems like they had 60 designers working on maps and weapons and maybe one clueless, junior dude to focus on customization, interaction design, interface design and player options.
    2. Yeah I said this already... but who at Epic thought that the gigantic, loyal millions of devoted players of UT2004 wanted their game to look like a clone of Gears of War? Can someone PLEASE fire whoever is responsible for stealing the Gears of War design-mind-control device and realize that this is A DIFFERENT GAME.

Hate to say this but i do agree with you there. I got the game today and spent about 2 hours testing it out and i was disappointed with it. Although a good game it still lacks alot of things.

6 game modes. Just 6 mode. This is shocking. Where is invasion/assault/mutant? I enjoyed all 3 of these when playing online with mates. I was disappointed that there was no invasion as this was one of the best game modes for online playing.

I think alot of their time went into the unreal engine. I have to give it to them that the graphics do look pretty amazing.

Comment

What i would do if i made this game is make ut 2004 with better graphics more features better chars and more character development of existing characters and a new weapons and a better tournament system.

I dont mean a carbon copy of ut2004 i meant use that game as a basis of this game.

This game looks to me like they got ut99 and improved the graphics. I think the characters in that game are better than these, at least there was some humor with the nali war cow.

This game shouts console at me every aspect is what youd expect a console game to have. If this was a pc game it would be better than the previous game and have more features.

Comment

Originally posted by Easthawk9 View Post
        NOTE: These are OPINIONS. I do not consider what I say to be either the truth or the only word. And I hope I change my mind someday. I hope. So don't harrass me if you disagree. Just disagree.

The good
        1. Map and weapon design is fantastic
        2. Vehicle design and functionality are excellent and very cool

The Bad
        1. Almost zero customization (see "The Ugly" below)
        2. Bland, lackluster character design... take any really, really, really bad sci fi movie and photocopy 5 characters. that's it. Whoever did these characters deserves to retire... they've obviously been around for WAY too long and have no new ideas
        3. Sea-sickness-provoking movement with no way to change it... REALLY annoying
        4. Way, way, way too much emphasis on design and textures and way too little attention to basic, simple GAMEPLAY. I mean, seems like no one asked themselves the obvious question in the world: "What did UT2004 do well and how do we make sure those things are IN this game and not RUINED?" Did anyone on the development team ever go out and watch -- for a few weeks at least -- people who, for instance -- obsessively play UT2004 Onslaught online, and see what keeps them coming back night after night? Didn't ANYONE take ANY notes? Doesn't seem like it. Seems like they arrogantly tossed some of the best aspects of UT2004 over their shoulder in favor of designing Gears of War, "The UT Version"
        5. No spectating on online games anymore? No viewing who is IN online games anymore? No ability to do ... (could list about 100 things). And please don't tell me they will come out with all of that later... ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS PUT A NEW **** LOOK ON THE GREAT SAME OLD UT2004 ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY and they would have done three times better. How can you spend 4 years and have come up with ZERO innovation or even paying attention to what was done well ALREADY?

The Ugly
        1. Even a fifteen year old game designer -- if handed UT2004 and told to "design the next best version of that" -- would think... I KNOW, GIVE PLAYERS MORE CHOICE! Um... what the hell was going on over there at Epic for 4 years? I mean, it seems like they had 60 designers working on maps and weapons and maybe one clueless, junior dude to focus on customization, interaction design, interface design and player options.
        2. Yeah I said this already... but who at Epic thought that the gigantic, loyal millions of devoted players of UT2004 wanted their game to look like a clone of Gears of War? Can someone PLEASE fire whoever is responsible for stealing the Gears of War design-mind-control device and realize that this is A DIFFERENT GAME.
        i disagree to the max

Comment

Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post

This game looks to me like they got ut99 and improved the graphics. I think the characters in that game are better than these, at least there was some humor with the nali war cow.
          Far from it, UT99 had a completely different player/map scale, gamespeed and weapon damage to this, there nothing alike.

I actually think UT99 deserves better then to be compared to UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocky View Post
            Far from it, UT99 had a completely different player/map scale, gamespeed and weapon damage to this, there nothing alike.

I actually think UT99 deserves better then to be compared to UT3.
            I know its better.

They have the same weapons.

And the underbalanced weapons.

Remember the sniper in Ut99?

Comment

There are so many good things about this game, they far outway the bad. 2 points out 9 that are good, the rest are bad? Very unbalanced and unfair impression if you ask me. I think that starts to constitutes the usual repetative whine which people are getting sick of reading about.

Unless you are going to judge the game on its merits, then perhaps you should take the game back. What Multiplayer game out there can even offer anything CLOSE to what UT3 does for hardline FPSers?

As for the game modes, there was an insignificant amount of players playing assault, and invasion and ballrun and anyother ones I could care to remember, when compared to the other more popular functional game modes. Why would EPIC waste thier time and money creating them? If there is a significant amount of demand for it, the community will create it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyWakko View Post

Unless you are going to judge the game on its merits, then perhaps you should take the game back. What Multiplayer game out there can even offer anything CLOSE to what UT3 does for hardline FPSers?
                Hang on ive been a huge fan of UT since ut99, and to hear you say that we should only judge this game on its merits is just crazy. If anyone has concerns about the game then there is no better place than here to speak about it.

The game is very disappointing to me and to others, and as fans of UT for the last 7 years why should we just say "yeah its great" when its not for us ?

Comment

Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post
                  I know its better.

They have the same weapons.

And the underbalanced weapons.

Remember the sniper in Ut99?
                  Whats your point? all the games in the UT series share the same weapons and have slightly different strengths and weaknesses due to epic tweaking them, in UT2003/4 weapon damage was reduced/tweaked from UT99, in UT3 it's further reduced/tweaked from UT2003/4.

Actually one weapon has been improved and thats the snot gun, the gun everyone hated, nice one epic.

Comment

Patch added spec mode and menu is getting better, has a "History" tab now so you can join up fast (though mine broke for some reason).

My main gripe is the player size, looks like im fighting midgets (coming from orig ut)

Comment

Haven't we really seen enough of these "UT3 is consolized blahblah the UI is bad blahblah therefore the game is bad blahblah and there is no assault omgomg!"

At least I'm going to be too busy with playing the great game called UT3 to argue with every compulsive whiner, who is dissapointed that UT3 wasn't UT2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwixx View Post
                        My main gripe is the player size, looking like im fighting midgets (coming from orig ut)
                        Yep, all the charactors look like bulky armoured dwarfs . lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nacher View Post
                          Haven't we really seen enough of these "UT3 is consolized blahblah the UI is bad blahblah therefore the game is bad blahblah and there is no assault omgomg!"

At least I'm going to be too busy with playing the great game called UT3 to argue with every compulsive whiner, who is dissapointed that UT3 wasn't UT2004.
                          Agreed, it's kind of getting old.

Comment

Working...
                          X