The jumps are limited. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You bet. I am targetting next Wednesday for my movement metrics analysis for UT3. It takes time because I have to build the custom maps for my tessting, and I have to relearn stuff I haven't done in 2-3 years.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Let me get this straight. The retail UT3 game has been out for less than two weeks and the beta demo for about six weeks, and you guys are already clamoring about the lack of "depth" in the game and that there is nothing to "learn"? IIRC, it took months for really great players to find and learn all that UT2003 and its follow-on, UT2004, had to offer as far as depth goes in regards to gameplay and the learning curve. I suspect UT3 will be a similar deal.

Ultron, I do miss your in-depth analyses. Please bring them to UT3 soon, mmkay?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by armagon917 View Post
    I dont care about the movement so much, As I said above the level design needs to compliment the new movement which it does not. Whatever movement we get should compliment gameplay of the levels. Sorry but it does not. Its like some of the maps were made before the final player movement was nailed down which is why ou cant reach seemingly obvious places you should.

I think thats what the first post is about. Not the dodgejump part. Just the fact that you cant get up there is stupid IMO. You can't setup an ambush or use it for Z axis attacks. It makes the maps feel like this is what you can and can't do. When it should be, if I get sneaky I can do this!! Thats a much more satisfying way to play which has been gutted and which UT2004 had not directly because of the dodgejump, but because of the smart level design. If you are blinded by the good graphics and ignore the basics then yeah the game looks great. But for people looking for great gameplay its not close to the level that UT2004 had. And to make myself clear. This is not based on the dodgejump.

It all comes down to options, in UT2004 our options were presented by movement, and smart level design. In UT3 out options are taylored back to make it what weapon? and thats about it. In UT3 having the right weapon in your hadn is the most important thing when it ued to be movement, and knowing how to navigate the maps well. Gameplay has been changed for the worse.
    so true! - me and my clan/ friends played ut2004 to destruction it was a great game in every way and balenced to wepons did not make the player- sometimes a greatplayer with only 1 wep and sheild gun could hold his own against somone with an entire loadout due to map / movement and the tactics these allowed.
    now? the game is such a barrel of **** than we will no longer be playing it competitivly in any form ( we'er of to cod4 i think ) its a **** shame as i know for a fact 5 of us totaly rebuilt out pc's with mainly this game as the reason.
    with all the gameplay choices and omissions / not great scalability / and downright terrible UI options etc this game fails. very strange that epic thought they would triumph with this game in its state of being when we look at the market it is going into in 2007 not one of its peers has anywhere near the terrible UI and options it has for a start. pc gamers and consoles are being polarised into 2 camps i think - on 1side the console gamers want a hassle free easy to get into experence with basic options of configuration and a one size fits all mentality. pc gamers on the other hand are tinkerers! they want ultimate configurability / vast scalability / wide open games that can be played in a variety of styles and also they want depth -where you can go as deep into the game as you want from the people who played ut2004 at pub level to the people who configured there ini to the last detail and practiced jumping shock combos and learerned the absolute fastest ways across maps. im sorry but in ut3 there are 2 things to learn where the wepons are and how the maps go- thats it no depth you see.. so nothing to draw and keep players in.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
    If the single jump is higher, then the game will get less grounded and more floaty. The jump is fine as it is now.
    Ah I disagree. I haven't yet made the time, but I intend to find out what jump height is, among other things. I strongly suspect double jump height is lower than UT2k4, but not much higher than original UT. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If the single jump is higher, then the game will get less grounded and more floaty. The jump is fine as it is now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IMRO we should just be able to single jump the height we can currently double jump, and the double jump should not have gone in. However, on a scale of things, it's largely unimportant, as it doesn't really hurt map scaling or change gameplay dramatically. So I've just accepted double jump as a compromise between UT and UT2.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can't we all just accept the fact that UT, UT2004, and UT3 are stand-alone games and that quite naturally there are going to be differences.

For everyones info, the dodge-jump in the Unreal series was introduced -- to the best of my knowledge -- by Digital Extremes, not Epic. DE wasn't involved with the making of UT3. So there you have it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PeterS_01 View Post
    hey mate, this is UNREAL remember?
    And if I remember correctly Unreal didnt have dodge-jump, nor double jump, untill 2k3 came out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PeterS_01 View Post
    It is a name, nothing more.

Loser.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [FfFC]_-(MAD)-_ View Post

I know its a thing of taste, but: double jump and dodge-jumping is extreme unrealistic,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There are still lots of tricky things you can do.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=l-2bkVD9k9s

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I dont care about the movement so much, As I said above the level design needs to compliment the new movement which it does not. Whatever movement we get should compliment gameplay of the levels. Sorry but it does not. Its like some of the maps were made before the final player movement was nailed down which is why ou cant reach seemingly obvious places you should.

I think thats what the first post is about. Not the dodgejump part. Just the fact that you cant get up there is stupid IMO. You can't setup an ambush or use it for Z axis attacks. It makes the maps feel like this is what you can and can't do. When it should be, if I get sneaky I can do this!! Thats a much more satisfying way to play which has been gutted and which UT2004 had not directly because of the dodgejump, but because of the smart level design. If you are blinded by the good graphics and ignore the basics then yeah the game looks great. But for people looking for great gameplay its not close to the level that UT2004 had. And to make myself clear. This is not based on the dodgejump.

It all comes down to options, in UT2004 our options were presented by movement, and smart level design. In UT3 out options are taylored back to make it what weapon? and thats about it. In UT3 having the right weapon in your hadn is the most important thing when it ued to be movement, and knowing how to navigate the maps well. Gameplay has been changed for the worse.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by River View Post
    Hey, why not just make it so we all FLY instead of jumping? Or better yet, we could have our players use telekinesis to move the MAP. So that way we can move any where we want whilst not actually moving.

You read my mind.

Double jump is out and im glad its gone. I dont get it why all the whining about "I cant get high enough, bohoooo" well thats why there are jump boots, also impact hammer can boost people up quite a bit also lift jumps are in too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by T1tusCr0w View Post
    hmm now there is only stright paths around arena's no longer can a skilled player in full command of the controls make inovative ways around to quicken there route.

one more thing gone im afraid in a plethora of stuff to be missed
    Agreed, and if these things were taken out then EPIC should've constructed their maps to allow for interesting navigation of the maps. Instead the movement which by itself is fine (not IMO as good as UT2004s but acceptable) but the way the maps were contructed to not compliment skilled players traversing the maps. Every player navigates the maps the same way which is boring. In UT2004 a skilled player could reach areas quicker and there were jumps that could only be made by skilled players. That stuff is gone. In fact there are ledges in Shangrila you should be able to jump up to keep gameflow fast and gameplay interesting by circumnavigating or cutting off your opponent that you cant get up.

Here EPIC could've added a way for you to get up these ledges by making an area that had crumbling concrete or something. Now all we have in this situation is a staircase which screams to the other players this is where I'm going to be in a few seconds. In other word they've made a bottleneck for you to be killed. All truly talented and hardcore followers of the UT series do or should see this. Not only is it in that map, you can find it throughout the game. Whatever player movement used, the maps should be designed to compliment it. This is basic level design stuff here that the only conslusion I can come up with for why it was overlooked was laziness.

Read "The Hows and Whys of Level Design", its all in there and written by someone who worked on UT2004. Among his work are maps like DM-Rankin and ONS-Torlan. This simple stuff overlooked by EPIC is all in there. So all I can do is scratch my head and say WTH?? Heres alink to that book if anyone is interested BTW.

http://www.hourences.com/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yep...the game in it's present form jus plain blows. Tired of the "99" versus "04" argument also.Face the facts...the new business model of epics is for profit, not perfection.Totaly dropped the ball.
    And profit is made by making a game that is popular to the masses. Clearly the masses wanted UT99 movement thus it was the right decision.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X