AI settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AI settings

I play Unreal Tournament since the old UT days, and I've always liked that bot option in UT where you could name your bots, change their accuracy, jumpiness, strafing, Reaction times ETC. Also their auto-assign orders so I can set all the bots to "Offence" so they don't stick together like noobs in TDM games.

All the previous UT games had options to change your AI setup. Anyone is working on this, or we can have a official word from Epic?

Thanks.

It's possible they didn't want these characters to have configurable profiles, though it would be nice to add our own characters and edit their profiles. That would be an idea. Maybe someone could code a mutator and work with Epic to get more details on how to possibly configure custom bots.

Comment

YES!!, bots should definitely be fully configurable like they were in the previous UTs, including the (potentially very funny) renaming feature, which for some strange reason was dropped in 2kx.

On a related note, there should also be custom voice pack support, and the ability to choose from all available stock VPs.

Comment

In the UTCustomChar.ini there are AIData like CombatStyle and that stuff for the bots. Dunno if they change anything but you can try.

Comment

I just hope that one day soon we will get all these customizable bot features like in UT99. I just wished they would have improved on providing better features over the newer series than reduce them down to what we have now, nothing!

The way I look at it, as we keep getting newer series, they should always continue adding newer features and options, not reduce them. Keep building UP on your game!

Comment

Originally posted by LordLuzifer View Post
            In the UTCustomChar.ini there are AIData like CombatStyle and that stuff for the bots. Dunno if they change anything but you can try.
            Perhaps, but basic stuff like this should be configurable via the UI like it was in all previous UTs. Having to dig around the .ini just to change some bot attributes is rather silly (assuming it works at all), nevermind potential compatibility issues etc.

Originally posted by Emmet Otter View Post
            The way I look at it, as we keep getting newer series, they should always continue adding newer features and options, not reduce them. Keep building UP on your game!
            QFT. Evolution instead of regression!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet Otter View Post

I agree.

However, because consoles are the gaming platform for the masses you will see more and more "dumbing down" of game features if they are cross-platform games like this one for precisely this reason. It's because the console systems themselves are limited in what they can do on a technical level. Especially, the input a.k.a. controller pad.

This is why the UI is stripped of almost every configurable item the previous UTs had.

It also has to do with the target audience who plays consoles as well.

I say this not to insult console players. I play consoles too, but I also play PC and know the consoles target market are casual gamers who don't want a lot of configuration or customization. They just want to put the disk in, push a few buttons and play. That is what makes the consoles so popular: Ease-of-Use.

Comment

I thought there was at least a way to add bots to the list, if for nothing else to assign names and custom model settings. But, I just learned that "add" only moves existing bots from one list to the other...

What about importing player-made skins and models, and using them for bots? That's not as important as the setting accuracy, aggression, etc, but it I had fun with that too, and it's been around for as long as I can remember.

I really hope they're working on this, or at least considering it.

Comment

Originally posted by LordLuzifer View Post
                  Ah, thanks, that's good to see. If the settings are still there, that's the main thing. I was thinking they no longer even had settings, aside from basic difficulty mods. I don't really mind messing with ini files, but makes me wonder why they omitted them from the UI. Maybe it's a simple thing to include it with other much needed UI improvements.

Comment

Working...
                  X