Not enough colors in UT3 - too much grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not enough colors in UT3 - too much grey

I agree with what NikhtiUT3 said earlier that UT3 is in need of more color. I must say that I have purchased all of the Unreal Tournaments going back to 1999 when UT1 came out and that is one of the things I liked about the UT series is that they had vibrant colors. Now it seems that Epic decided to use the Gears of War color pallet and stick to a 1000 shades of grey. Don't get me wrong. The graphics themselves look great, just the colors are not very appealing. With the change in color pallet to greys and browns I keep forgetting that I'm playing a UT game.

My only hope is that when the user made maps start coming out, they have more color. After reading through the forum I've noticed that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Please Epic, learn from this. People want more color. Aside from that, the game plays great.

Thanks.

Here is what NikhtiUT3 said in a different post...
    The whole game is in need of some real color ... if you really examine each level they are really not all that colorful ... most of the textures are just browns and greys and the game has lost the familiar UT "brightness and brilliance" of colors it has been so well known for all these years. I mean look at the characters themselves and the robots especially ... they are wearing pretty bland outfits ... no real color. I mean what happened seriously? Too much of this game reminds me of Gears of War and now even the same washed out look is being applied to what was once the MOST colorful game around is not what I was expecting. But hopefully this is something else that is on their list for the patch ...

I recall an interview where Jeff Morris said they first made the graphic textures in the game look all shinny and new but then decided to go back and make them look grungy and beat-up. I think it was an attempt to make the environments look war torn.

Comment

I hope you realize stock maps are not about to get a complete overhaul.
      Just FYI.

Comment

Yes you are probably right that the stock maps will be too difficult to edit to put vibrant colors in the user made maps. I'm just hoping that's all.

Comment

Sh*t guys!
          1. The map texture color balance and lighting is perfect - they look **** natural, no UT2k4 cartoonish stuff everyone who has the taste in grafics hated bad.
          2. Take a look at the best map designs. Unreal1, UT99, UT2k4 1on1 mappak, UT2k4 CBP, Painkiller, Gears, UT99 7Bullets, Xidia, ONP, U1: Hexephet, Quake: Scourge of Armagon.. Maybe it's gonna tell you the answer if you can't figure it out on your own.
          "People want more color."? Speak for yourself please.

As for the color scheme and atmosphere - looks like those who post alike threads never played nor understood U1 and UT99. UT99 was all about destruction, chaos, blood and neverending fight. Ye, let's set it all up in the Teletubbies lawn

ps all who want bright colors - eat shroomz and watch the Teletubbies series, would be a charge for all the remaining life

Comment

UT3 looks fine to me. You want more color then jam the color slider on your nvidia control panel up to max and shut off post processing.

Comment

I think you should make the colors a bit more vibrant to, with a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatality1963 View Post
                Please Epic, learn from this. People want more color. Aside from that, the game plays great.
                An why do you think you know what "people" want? I don't have any problems with the color, it all looks great to me. I don't want more color, cos' I don't want it to be as "cartoony" as UT2k4.

You're entitled to your view, but please don't generalize saying that's what everyone wants cos' it's obviously not true.

Comment

You misunderstood me. I'm not asking for cartoony graphics or colors. I just like the color pallet from previous UT games better. I still think UT3 plays great. I'd rather have the game play great and have poor graphics than have great graphics but play poorly. That said, Epic has spoiled us with both vibrant colorful graphics and great gameplay in the past. By the way there is a difference between bright colors and vibrant colors. Look at the picture at the top of this website and you can see the vibrant red colors in the uniform. There are very few vibrant standout colors like that in UT3 unlike previous versions of UT. I'm not at my house so I can't remember very many map names but in previous ut games there were maps such as Lava Giant, CTF-Magma and DM-Antalus all had very vibrant colors.

The current colors are not bad, it's just not what I was expecting. Thanks for letting me rant.

Comment

I should apologize for implying that everyone doesn't like the colors the way they are. This subject is obviously subject and a matter of personal taste. I was just expressing mine. I had noticed a few others commenting a similar view. That is why I said what I said above. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Have a great day.

Comment

It's okay if u think that there should be more colors.

But I played U1 Botmatch and then UT99, I buyed UT2k3 and I didn't bothered buying UT2k4 after playing it on the CeBIT, cuz I didn't liked the game at all.

As I can remember, UT99 didn't had that much colors. I think it was very dark, that's what I'm thinking, it was one of the fast shooters where u actually could hide in a dark corner, without getting shot. ^^

I think it's fine, but I haven't played the full game yet, but as what I saw until now, Im very expressed. Especially when I saw a Screenshot of the new Deck! I love the REAL ACID-LIKE green and the blobs of the Bio rifle.

Up to everybodys liking. Fatality1963, you may start thinking about developing a Mutator which pumps up Saturation ?

Comment

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584678

This topic has been discussed thoroughly. A lot of people agree with you Fatality. If you look at the poll(poorly designed) you'll see that 50% want more color, and 50% either like grey or said "mmm pie" which implies they don't care or didn't agree with the way the poll was worded. Either way you can presume the issue is divided about down the middle.

I want more color. If I wanted washed out and dingy I would play COD. however, the gameplay is great in UT3 and that's what matters regardless of how it looks.

Originally posted by Reise View Post
                        UT3 looks fine to me. You want more color then jam the color slider on your nvidia control panel up to max and shut off post processing.
                        I'd rather not have to use external post processing to make a game look appealing. Nonetheless, I've tried digital vibrance and it makes the screen shimmer. Otherwise I'd use it.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                          http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584678

This topic has been discussed thoroughly. A lot of people agree with you Fatality. If you look at the poll(poorly designed) you'll see that 50% want more color, and 50% either like grey or said "mmm pie" which implies they don't care or didn't agree with the way the poll was worded. Either way you can presume the issue is divided about down the middle.

I want more color. If I wanted washed out and dingy I would play Gears of War. however, the gameplay is great in UT3 and that's what matters regardless of how it looks.

I'd rather not have to use external post processing to make a game look appealing. Nonetheless, I've tried digital vibrance and it makes the screen shimmer. Otherwise I'd use it.
                          Fixed. CoD actually manages to use colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Phanta View Post
                            An why do you think you know what "people" want? I don't have any problems with the color, it all looks great to me. I don't want more color, cos' I don't want it to be as "cartoony" as UT2k4.

You're entitled to your view, but please don't generalize saying that's what everyone wants cos' it's obviously not true.
                            Preach it! The game looks awesome to me.

Comment

The colours are fine. The tones look appropirately realistic and grungified.

Good job Epic.

Comment

Working...
                              X