Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Xbox360 Controller Support (How-To)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Xbox360 Controller Support (How-To)

This is for players who are new to PC games and or PC gamers who wish to play Unreal Tournament III with full gamepad support.

I tested this using the Xbox 360 controller that can be plugged into a PC via the USB port. It works flawlessly due to the XINPUT code already in the UE3.

I do not know if it works with other controllers, so if someone could try it with Logitech, and other brands and report their findings I would greatly appreciate it.

.................................................. .................................................. ........

1) Copy the following set of bindings to your UTInput.ini under the [Engine.PlayerInput] heading:

Bindings=(Name="Fire",Command="Button bFire | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire")
    Bindings=(Name="AltFire",Command="StartAltFire | OnRelease StopAltFire")
    Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0")
    Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0")
    Bindings=(Name="TurnLeft",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-200.0 AbsoluteAxis=100")
    Bindings=(Name="TurnRight",Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+200.0 AbsoluteAxis=100")
    Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0")
    Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+1.0")
    Bindings=(Name="Jump",Command="Jump | Axis aUp Speed=+1.0 AbsoluteAxis=100")
    Bindings=(Name="Duck",Command="Button bDuck | Axis aUp Speed=-1.0 AbsoluteAxis=100")
    Bindings=(Name="Look",Command="Button bLook")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_A",Command="Use")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_B",Command="Jump")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_X",Command="ToggleTransl ocator")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="SwitchToBest Weapon")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="SetShowSc ores true | Onrelease SetShowScores false")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="|onrelea se showmenu")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder",Command="P revWeapon")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder",Command=" NextWeapon")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up",Command="ShowCo mmandMenu")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down",Command="Togg leSpeaking true | OnRelease ToggleSpeaking false")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="Togg leMinimap")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="Cam era ThirdPerson")
    ;Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="Pl ayVehicleHorn")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger",Command="F ire")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger",Command="Al tFire")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.2")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="Axis aLookup Speed=0.8 DeadZone=0.2")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick",Command= "")
    Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick",Command ="Duck")
    CHECK EACH LINE. THE FORUM INSERTS RANDOM SPACES BETWEEN COMMAND NAMES. DELETE THOSE SPACES AFTER YOU PASTE THE TEXT.

2) Save the file.

That's it

BASIC CONTROLLER LAYOUT (XBOX360 Controller):

Left Shoulder Button = Previous Weapon (9-->1)
    Right Shoulder Button = Next Weapon (1-->9)
    Left Trigger = Alternate Fire
    Right Trigger = Primary Fire
    Left Thumbstick Press = ?
    Right Thumbstick Press = Duck
    Back Button = Displays Scoreboard
    Start Button = Menu Display (SP/MP)
    X = Translocator
    A = Use (Enter Vehicles; Buttons)
    Y = Switch to Most Powerful Weapon
    B = Jump
    D-Pad Up = Bot Command Menu (SP) and Taunt Menu (MP)
    D-Pad Down = Push to Talk (MP)
    D-Pad Left = Minimap (MP)
    D-Pad Right = Third Person View (SP Only)

Alternate D-Pad Right = Honk Horn (SP/MP)

You can assign any button, triggers, and directional pad to anything you want. The trick is to look at at the aliases and find the ROOT COMMAND and bind that directly to the button, trigger, etc. you want. You might have to script certain functions to behave properly like I did here.

Enjoy

sweet. another guy was just wondering about this.

Comment

How does the game play with a controller? Cause one might think that UT realy demands a mouse/keyboard.

Comment

****, you did your homework. I'll be using my keyboard and mouse but it's good to see that someone out there has taken the time to figure it out and post it for everyone.

Comment

Using a gamepad for the vehicles would have been fun if they were meant to be used that way, most of them have weapons aimed best with the mouse so it's a liability to use a gamepad.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Inothep View Post
            How does the game play with a controller? Cause one might think that UT realy demands a mouse/keyboard.
            It doesn't play that bad in my opinion. And if you are wondering, there is no auto aim present unless you specify it in the main menus.

Obviously, you are going to want to use the KB & Mouse because they are more accurate (and because all online opponents will be using them). But for SP and just trying something different... Or if you are more comfortable playing with a controller than the KB & Mouse... It plays fairly well.

What prompted me to do this was because I knew this was a cross-platform title and was going to the PS3 and 360 eventually. The logic being the developers aren't just going to leave out the controller code if they know a controller-based platform is going to be ported next.

I was also able to unlock some settings (UTGame.ini) for the menu that allow you to tweak the turning radius and sensitivity as well. I didn't post them because the default values are pretty good, IMO. If someone wants them, I can easily post those changes as well.

The reason I like to play with both (at separate times) is because I am a PC and console gamer and there is no real difference between the two inputs as far as my personal preference is concerned. I can switch back and forth after years of using each.

Comment

I'm so utterly frustrated right now. I really appreciate you taking the time out to post these configuration options - however, I can't seem to get anything to work.

I've been trying to tweak both the BaseInput.ini and the DefaultInput.ini, but neither will let me save the current configuration.

Now, I'm a fairly persistant individual, but my tolerance for this ordeal is draining fast. Why this needs to be such a difficult task is beyond me.

I absolutely love Epic and have been extremely patient for UT3 after all these years - but for them to leave out any controller options is almost unforgivable.

Comment

1) You want to edit the UTInput.ini file only in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament\UTGame\Config

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE ORIGINAL GAME FILES IN THE INSTALL DIRECTORY

(You can, but this makes things more complicated because of the CRC checks that have you update your My Documents .ini files).

2) Make sure the files are not "Read Only".

A) Right Click
                B) Properties
                C) General (Tab)
                D) Attributes
                E) Make sure the "Read Only" checkbox is not ticked

Comment

Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
                  1) You want to edit the UTInput.ini file only in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament\UTGame\Config

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE ORIGINAL GAME FILES IN THE INSTALL DIRECTORY

(You can, but this makes things more complicated because of the CRC checks that have you update your My Documents .ini files).

2) Make sure the files are not "Read Only".

A) Right Click
                  B) Properties
                  C) General (Tab)
                  D) Attributes
                  E) Make sure the "Read Only" checkbox is not ticked
                  Well, I found the UTInput.ini - and I definitely appreciate it. However, I still can't get this controller to work for the life of me. I'm really at a loss right now. I'll just keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by snoogans460 View Post
                    Well, I found the UTInput.ini - and I definitely appreciate it. However, I still can't get this controller to work for the life of me. I'm really at a loss right now. I'll just keep trying.
                    What is, or is it not doing?

Please, be more specific.

Also, what OS are you using (not that it matters)? This is all done under XP, so I don't have to worry about Administrator rights and all that security stuff.

Also, be sure that you are checking and correcting each line after you cut & paste from the above code. You can see the gaps between some of the words that should not be there, but the forum puts in for some strange reason.

If all else fails, I will post up my UTInput.ini file for download.

Comment

Works Great Thanks
                      Just had to make a small setting to make it all work.
                      AllowJoystickInput=1 in UTEngine.ini

Just one question how do I make the right thumb stick a little faster
                      Maybe just 5% or 10% faster

Comment

Originally posted by Briz600 View Post
                        Works Great Thanks
                        Just had to make a small setting to make it all work.
                        AllowJoystickInput=1 in UTEngine.ini
                        Whoops. I forgot to include that part. Thanks for reminding me

I'll post the other changes in a while that can be made to the UTEngine.ini that allow actual in-game (menu) sliders to adjust thumbstick and turning sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Briz600 View Post
                          Just one question how do I make the right thumb stick a little faster
                          Maybe just 5% or 10% faster
                          Use the "Find" option and put: aTurn, thats gonna take you to the right stick commands. Where it says "speed", you can change the numbers to adjust the turning speed. By the way, you might want to change the deadzones too, because deadzones make the aiming a little stiff.

Comment

OK. Here are some things you might want to change in the UTGame.ini file to customize your controller experience:

(Use the "Find" feature in Notepad to go directly to these entries)

[ControllerVibration UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                            OptionSet=Input
                            DataStoreMarkup=<OnlinePlayerData:ProfileData.Cont rollerVibration>
                            bRemoveOnPS3=1
                            bRemoveOnPC=1
                            Change bRemoveOnPC=1 to bRemoveOnPC=0

[ControllerSensitivityMultiplier UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                            OptionSet=Input
                            OptionSet=MidGameMenu
                            DataStoreMarkup=<OnlinePlayerData:ProfileData.Cont rollerSensitivityMultiplier>
                            OptionType=UTOT_Slider
                            RangeData=(MinValue=5,MaxValue=20,bIntRange=1,Nudg eValue=1,CurrentValue=10)
                            bRemoveOnPC=1

[TurningAccelerationFactor UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                            OptionSet=Input
                            OptionSet=MidGameMenu
                            DataStoreMarkup=<OnlinePlayerData:ProfileData.Turn ingAccelerationFactor>
                            OptionType=UTOT_Slider
                            RangeData=(MinValue=1.0,MaxValue=10.0,bIntRange=1, NudgeValue=1.0,CurrentValue=5.0)
                            bRemoveOnPC=1

Once you save the file, load up UT3, and look in the "Settings" Menu where you normally set your Mouse sensitivity. There will be new sliders for your controllers sensitivity and a check box for Controller Vibration (Force Feedback).

Comment

Very cool Thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                              X