Vista vs XP performance comparison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xPloSiV View Post
    I've got Vista Home Premium 32 bit and im having no probs except a or two crash every two weeks
    eh?
    if your having one or two crashed every two weeks then you do have a prob with vista.
    I very rare get a crash with my xp tbh,if i got one every week or two weeks i would be looking to why that is happening.

all ops systems crash now and then,but not as much as your having tbh.

Comment

id use XP, but i cant find drivers for my motherboard -_-

Comment

Originally posted by T@F View Post
        eh?
        if your having one or two crashed every two weeks then you do have a prob with vista.
        I very rare get a crash with my xp tbh,if i got one every week or two weeks i would be looking to why that is happening.

all ops systems crash now and then,but not as much as your having tbh.

Well that kinds depends on what you are doing. if you are constantly testing new drivers and OCing your GPU and your CPU then it could happen that you get these issues. I know that I don't have problems if I watch what I am doing but one sure fire way that I can crash my system is to play Crysis for over a half hour. At that point my vid cards over heat and cause my system to lock up. Its crazy but my temp on my graphics card can rise more than 17 C while UT3 never causes my temps to rise more than 10 degrees C. And I am constantly pushing my GPU by OCing. I probably need a volt mod for my cards and then I probably wouldn't crash. My cards usually run at about 48-50C but easily get to 65C when playing Crysis ... at 67C my cards spaz out and cause my system to freeze up. I had higher tolerance but I removed the factory cooling and installed these DuoOrbs GPU coolers and now I can't even get to 75C which was what my cards easily got to before the PC crapped out. I will never do a GPU card mod again. From now on I will just make sure the card has good cooling out the box.

Comment

I've crashed vista once, I bumped the video card out of it's socket.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyDevil View Post
            id use XP, but i cant find drivers for my motherboard -_-
            what motherboard do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
              what motherboard do you have?
              #
              Manufacturer: Asus
              #
              Motherboard Name: P5BW-LA

Comment

I thought framerate was limited to 62 in singleplayer and 90 in multiplayer?

Comment

Mwah I am running UT3 with all settings high and 1280-1024 with 80 fps average in vista, it seems to run smoother in XP but it's rlly a minor difference for me.

P5E AI - Q6600 - 8800 GTX - 4 gig corsair XMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnsen View Post
                    I thought framerate was limited to 62 in singleplayer and 90 in multiplayer?
                    So what is about this? If this is true (read that somewhere on two different magazines) I wonder how you people get your 150+ fps.

Also it is a fact that vistas ram management is not good yet. So you can say "I get good fps, rethink if vistas performance is bad now" Even if your ressources are still enough to get a game on high settings with good quality, that does not mean that the performance is good if it is not as good as it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnsen View Post
                      Also it is a fact that vistas ram management is not good yet.
                      and this statement is based on what exactly? the fact that you have higher usage under Vista? really, what is the point of having ram, if you're not going to use it?

right now, at this moment, i'm hitting nearly 50% ram usage... but i can pull up Vista Media Center to put on LiveTV WHILE playing UT3 if i so choose. i know this, because i was playing R6 Vegas while the tv was going among other things.

XP on the other hand, i believe would choke.

Comment

And this of course, doesn't have to do anything with your machine configuration, right?
                        Edit: Sorry guys, I'm out of this discussion and won't read here anymore because the discussion does not make any sense to me.

Comment

Hi,

I am currently running on Vista-32 (the one that came with my computer), but I now really think I'll just revert back to XP. People that have less powerful hardware get better framerates...

But I was wondering? What do you think about XP-64? Good idea? Bad idea? Why? I'm asking because I have 4 GB of RAM and the computer only sees 3,25 of course.

Comment

I never had a problem with Vista on my rig and the game runs great at 1920 x 1200 on a 24 inch LCD.

Comment

Same here .. the only problems I have had I am responsible for making a mess. But otherwise Vista has done great by me and my hardware with no problems whatsoever. UT3 as well as all my games run just fine and if I want to use DX9 mode for some of my games that I can do that with no issue and some games (notably Crysis) runs even better. Like I said if you only have UT3 as a game on your rig then it makes sense to use XP since it is a little faster. Still on a powerful rig I don't see how there is a difference ... especially if you don't unlock the fps to go past 62 fps as its set in the defaults. But for folks who want the absolute highest possible fps then yeah XP is for you but again what's the practical difference between 120 fps and 85 fps???

Comment

Originally posted by PyrHExile View Post
                                Hi,

I am currently running on Vista-32 (the one that came with my computer), but I now really think I'll just revert back to XP. People that have less powerful hardware get better framerates...

But I was wondering? What do you think about XP-64? Good idea? Bad idea? Why? I'm asking because I have 4 GB of RAM and the computer only sees 3,25 of course.
                                That is a Vista 32 limit, but also a limit for many motherboards. Check your hardware specs to see if you can see more than 3.25. XP_64 works great for UT3.

My very obsolete specs;
                                Opty 180 @ 2.6GHz (socket 939)(AMD Dual-Core Optimizer)
                                DFI Infinity NF4 SLI (nforce 6.85 driver)
                                2GB DDR400 (value ram, 4x512MB single sided)
                                2 x XFX 7950GT 570MHz 512MB SLI (169.04 driver, AFR2)
                                BFG Ageia PhysX (1.1.1.14 driver)(quiet Vantec ICEBERG5 cooler)
                                SB Live 24 bit (1.004.0055 driver)
                                XP64 pro SP2 until Linux port arrives
                                1600x1200, 3-3 quality, 38-85 FPS (I set a 85 FPS cap)
                                1600x1200, 3-3 quality, 26-70 FPS PhysX maps
                                21" Sony Trinitron G520, 100Hz refresh
                                UT3 ver. 1.2

Comment

Working...
                                X