Vista vs XP performance comparison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawn14316 View Post
    I have a 8800gtx and have never hit 40 fps with Ut3 when using vista as a os.
    I have a 8800gtx and I easily hit 40 fps with mine..

Comment

Originally posted by Dr3thepooner View Post
      Vista is a pile of steaming poo. Its a Miscrosoft's ******* child just like ME.
      own goal

Comment

Originally posted by XEDR View Post
        If you really have too much time without something useful to do- use a GNU/Linux distribution.

If you love typing sudo _____ times infinity- use a GNU/Linux distribution
        Try the "root terminal" or apt-get remove sudo

If you have PROPER hardware and enough brainpower left to know what's taking REAL advantage of your hardware- use Windows.
        Proper hardware such as ? 64bit , dual/quad cores , lots of ram? , fancy graphics adapters ? all have been supported for a long long time on GNU/Linux platforms more than can be said for microsoft products , also never use brainpower and windows in the same sentence.

EDIT: Top Tip , try adding APIC=off to the GRUB line if your having issues with a SMP machine

Linux kernels are incredibly idiotic that they ARE slower than Windows on most gamers' PC. Ram usage means ****e. Unless you patch the kernels with the -CK patchset (and he's not making it anymore) you are enjoying HELL performance. As in the lack of it.
        When was the last time you compiled your own kernel ? , you dont need CK sources or vanilla sources , just compile your own kernel simple enough task . a stock kernel will run fine however for day to day tasks.

I'm not even gonna compare- Fedora 8 vs Vista on the same PC starting Firefox/Amarok (vs Winamp or Foobar), using those apps, Photoshop vs GIMP (which sucks again), even Vista feels MUCH faster and much more responsive.
        I can run photoshop via wine , it works as was intended but microsoft didnt make photoshop , photoshop is 3rd party software , what you should be comparing the GIMP with ( which is a very worthy application ) is ms paint. Like Kaffine /amarok vs windows media player - no contest what so ever. If your GNU/Linux isnt as fast as windows vista then you did something wrong somewhere.....

Linux acts like it's running on a single core P4 machine. It uses less resources but takes MUCH longer to load anything. Even updating the stupid packages occasionally freezes the update manager if your internet is too slow. (Athlon X2 "4500+" here, full smoothness on Vista)
        Again , i can only assume you have not setup correctly - either track down what is going wrong in your system ( lots of tools to help with this ) or install another ( better distro ) arch linux is quite nice and no one should forget the all powerful gentoo

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=1

this benchmark is taken from a stock fedora core install running ati graphics ( which are sposed to suck in linux/xorg-x11)

/me chuckles with his custom kernel and custom xorg-x11 :P

Comment

I am surprised no one has mentioned Windows Server 2003.

This is by far one of the fastest Windows OS to date.

I have mine running as a workstation and play UT3 on it with exceptional performance (high FPS). Maybe even higher than XP since I have not done any official benchmarks. It just feels smoother than XP.

The bad news is you can't install UT3 on Windows Server 2008

I would go for WS2K8 over Vista any day because it is much faster (you can turn it into a fully functional workstation like 2K3) and what Vista should have been out of the box... Except there is currently no game support for it... Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
            I am surprised no one has mentioned Windows Server 2003.

This is by far one of the fastest Windows OS to date.

I have mine running as a workstation and play UT3 on it with exceptional performance (high FPS). Maybe even higher than XP since I have not done any official benchmarks. It just feels smoother than XP.

The bad news is you can't install UT3 on Windows Server 2008

I would go for WS2K8 over Vista any day because it is much faster (you can turn it into a fully functional workstation like 2K3) and what Vista should have been out of the box... Except there is currently no game support for it... Yet.
            Xp64 has Server2003's kernel and subsystems (which is where Xp64 gained 64bit support & newer ACPI support etc) but without the additional 'server' functions that 2003 supports (IIS, 4 physical cpu's etc).

And Vista Sp1 adds 2008's kernel and subsystems as well, barring the server specific ones again of course.

fwiw...

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
              169.09 drivers
              I found your problem...

Yea Vista's a bit slower -- but nothing I really noticed under XP... not when I tweaked Vista properly.

UNDER 169.28 DRIVERS!

Note: Tweaking includes (but is not limited to):
              • Disabling unnecessary startup items
              • Disable automatic defragmentation ***big one***
              • Disable desktop composition and visual themes in compatibility tab
              And several other things...

Comment

Originally posted by SpitFire View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=1

this benchmark is taken from a stock fedora core install running ati graphics ( which are sposed to suck in linux/xorg-x11)

/me chuckles with his custom kernel and custom xorg-x11 :P
                Wow, that's really good news. Excellent benchmark. About time some competition arises. I noticed ATI had really improved the speed of the releases for linux and promised to make big improvements. I installed the driver in a FC7 install for an old X700 card with 128MB of DDR3 back in October for the kids machine and it ran UT2004 real well. When the UT3 port is finally out we will be able to see who has the better drivers.

Comment

(Athlon X2 "4500+" here, full smoothness on Vista)
                  Is that even a real cpu? Never heard of it, all AMD X2 are even numbers. Did you like just make all that **** up?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggity View Post
                    I have a 8800gtx and I easily hit 40 fps with mine..
                    I mean i never hit as low as 40.

Comment

yeah I tested this a while ago and noticed a good (10-20 fps boost if not more) fps difference in xp vsvista

Comment

I also see huge performance loss in this game with Vista (currently dualbooting XP SP3 and Vista SP1). I may be imaging things but seems like it looks a tad better in Vista (perhaps some DX10 enhancements used) as I doubt the OS itself can be the cause of 30 ~ 40 FPS loss.

In XP the game runs between 100 ~ 150 FPS usually with max detail settings, with Vista it runs like 70 ~ 110 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
                          I may be imaging things but seems like it looks a tad better in Vista (perhaps some DX10 enhancements used) as I doubt the OS itself can be the cause of 30 ~ 40 FPS loss.
                          I think you are, as the game really uses no DX10 enhancements - Vista is just slower, as countless posts before yours stated, some backed up with benchmarks

Comment

I was having problems with UT3 in vista64. The game would stutter in big pauses, I would get FPS drops when I looked over big distances but other than that I was usually smooth sailing at like 50fps. The worst part was the temporary freeze ups. It seems the more players were in the map the more frequent the freezes were and the longer they lasted. Warfare with 20+ people was unplayable.

I went back to XP32 and it runs like magic. Not a SINGLE freeze up or stutter (outside menu stutter in level transitions). My FPS is constantly at the capped limit of 60 and it is just pure win.

This was my reason to hate vista. I think it was taking up valuable memory so UT3 had to do memory swapping to/from a page file.

**** you, vista!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066MHz FSB
                            ASUS P5N-E SLI rev. 0703
                            PCI-E x16 w/ Geforce 8800 GTS (320MB)
                            2x1024mb DDRRAM at 400(800mhz)

Comment

I've got Vista Home Premium 32 bit and im having no probs except a or two crash every two weeks

Comment

At the moment there is no doubt if what you are using your gaming PC for are UT games then you don't need to move to Vista. In fact since not one single UT game uses DX10 code it is better that you do stick with XP. If that is all you are playing. But if you are also playing games like Crysis, Gears, Lost Planet, and Bioshock then using Vista is more desirable since you are getting some real DX10 enhancements ... whether it be graphics or just AA (Gears) it makes sense to use Vista if you play lots of different shooters on the PC. If its only a UT3 pc then yeah for now XP is fine. I'm just hoping that in the next patch there will be DX10 code to do proper MSAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X