No announcement yet.

Vista vs XP performance comparison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure you're using 64bit Vista? Those messages are quite strange. My experience with Vista x64 was pretty good, and the system is similar (Q6600 / 8800GT) i use a intel chipset-based motherboard instead of nvidia, though.

Comment

Originally posted by haslo View Post
      Uhm, judging by those benchmarks, XP is up to 8% faster than Vista, everything else equal, and never slower (except that one time when Vista64 got 0.2 fps more than XP). What exactly are you trying to tell us?
      Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen any comprehensive benchmark tests showing games with Vista outperforming XP. Has anyone? LOL

Now that doesn't mean Vista performance won't improve with driver optimization and game development optimization (especially with new games).

Comment

Originally posted by Cenotaph View Post
        Are you sure you're using 64bit Vista? Those messages are quite strange. My experience with Vista x64 was pretty good, and the system is similar (Q6600 / 8800GT) i use a intel chipset-based motherboard instead of nvidia, though.
        Yeah, positive. Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

It might be a motherboard problem, who's to say really with a completely fresh build there could be any number of problems. All I know is all fresh driver software and the like(BIOS) manipulations have proved futile due to the retardation of Vista. It simply won't take them.

Comment

Complaining about non 32 bit installers suggests the OS is expecting x86 architecture only and is not really capable of supporting anything else like x64, that's why i asked if your sure that's the x64 version. But if you are, that's just very strange behaviour.

Comment

The Vista 64Bit CD will lockup the system on bootup befor any message can appear.

@ Muhbashl: Your PSU/ powersource is maybe defektive or damaged. Second: maybe your RAm is instabil. Do you have 2 or 4 modules? Vista is working fine, especially with new systems.

Comment

Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
              Talk about an immature, little troll.

You have anger issues, buddy. Seek help...
              yeah he acts like someone beats his *** all night. I didn't even say I had an X-fi w/Xram and OpenAL enabled. I said I had an X-fi working with OpenAL.

Comment

Originally posted by [FfFC]_-(MAD)-_ View Post
                The Vista 64Bit CD will lockup the system on bootup befor any message can appear.

@ Muhbashl: Your PSU/ powersource is maybe defektive or damaged. Second: maybe your RAm is instabil. Do you have 2 or 4 modules? Vista is working fine, especially with new systems.
                I have 4 G's RAM, or 4 modules

Comment

Hopefully Windows 7 will be faster than XP But I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 bit now.

Comment

my god , some e-penii on display here , both xp and vista are excrement. hurry up epic with the *nix client ( massage mr Gordons shoulders , give him energy drinks and a pay rise ect ) so we can see some comparisons on REAL operating systems not just super computers running mickey mouseware , i'll laugh when m$ is made to look silly ( yet again http://omploader.org/vOW51 )

P.S. Mr Gordon is also one of the authors of openAL and libSDL ( dont spose you vista (L)users know what libSDL is but its an amazing API

Comment

When I saw you mention that Windows (L)users don't know what is SDL, I remembered about this
                      [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/xboxkeyboard.png[/shot]
                      I just took a shoot on Windows, but I made this to input text on a modded Xbox, just using the controller. I was supposed to click one of the coloured buttons, and then moved the joystick to the direction I wanted, it was better than a virtual keyboard or whatever.
                      Don't remember how usable it was, but IIRC it already managed to redirect it's output to a text file ...

It ran both on Linux (GentooX) and on homebrew mode, SDL directly over the OS. Oh my, SDL over a MS OS, using MS hardware. Sorry dude, couldn't resist

Now please, let stick to the topic.

Comment

Older os`s will run faster than new os`s ...duh

New os`s have much more to offer and has great potential, I went over to vista bout 3 weeks ago and loving it, avg 120+ fps in ut3, world settings 5 texture 1 @ 1680 x 1050 with a 6000+ and a 8800gt

Been using xp to long, time for a upgrade, learn something new again and master it

Regards
                        Stuart

Comment

i'm with ATI Radeon X1950GT and on Vista UTIII is performing very slow comparing to windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                            When I saw you mention that Windows (L)users don't know what is SDL, I remembered about this
                            [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/xboxkeyboard.png[/shot]
                            I just took a shoot on Windows, but I made this to input text on a modded Xbox, just using the controller. I was supposed to click one of the coloured buttons, and then moved the joystick to the direction I wanted, it was better than a virtual keyboard or whatever.
                            Don't remember how usable it was, but IIRC it already managed to redirect it's output to a text file ...

It ran both on Linux (GentooX) and on homebrew mode, SDL directly over the OS. Oh my, SDL over a MS OS, using MS hardware. Sorry dude, couldn't resist

Now please, let stick to the topic.
                            My point is most wintendo userz think that openAL is like openGL for audio ( made by the same people ect) when its nothing of the kind and i'm totally on topic , all microsoft products fail miserably when it comes to performance ( no IMO about it , its been proven time and time again ) , security is just a joke on microsoft systems , they are unstable ( i've no doubt someone will attempt to put me right on this but show me a windows box that has an uptime in years ) and they are FAT or "big boned" - just look at vista 2GB of RAM just for the operating system !!! wtf !!! , so i urge epic once again to give me a use for this ut3 dvd i have here as its just gathering dust atm then we'll see comparisons between OSes , not just comparisons between two joke OSes

P.S. well done with the keyboard it looks nice , gentoo is my choice too

Comment

95% of the worlds PCs run Windows. Everyone has the choice of running a free OS, but still 95% of the worlds PCs run Windows...

I am not arguing that Windows is better than the alternatives, just stating the facts.

Ducks for cover....

Comment

lollerskates

Comment

Working...
                                X