Vista vs XP performance comparison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista vs XP performance comparison.

I did a little comparison of performance between XP and Vista. Both "benchmarks" were using the 169.09 drivers, all background programs closed, 1440x900, world and texture detail set to 5, AA disabled, vertical sync turned off, mouse smoothing turned off, framerate cap disabled. Also have made sure all other drivers (sound card, chipset, etc) were all at the latest versions.

My "benchmark" level was Shangri-La, zero bots, picked two specific points to compare framerates. One was the spawn point, before moving anything. the other was a corner in the courtyard. I backed myself into the corner and put my crosshair (enforcer in all cases) on the same spot on the steeple of a building across the courtyard.

Throughout playing the game Vista has visually noticably lower framerates. This was echoed far more in the framerate scores than I expected.

Upon spawning, XP gave me a solid 120fps before I'd moved a muscle. Vista in the exact same circumstance gave me 71fps solid.

In the courtyard XP gave me a solid 79fps while Vista gave me 41 fps.

Visually the two systems were identical.

Obviously, if you have a choice, choose XP over Vista for UT3. Coincendentally Vista decided to stop recognizing my DVD rom drives when I booted in. I had to do some stupid registry hack which I found on google to get them to show back up so I could even install the game. Vista sucks.

Vista has had a feud going with my DVD drive for some time now...

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post

Obviously, if you have a choice, choose XP over Vista for UT3.
      This is not for UT3 only btw, Vista just sucks for gaming (and in general but thats just my opinion) when compared to xp.

Just go check out some benchmarks where they compare the 2, Xp is ALWAYS faster (and in some RARE cases its even with vista)

Comment

Vista is a pile of steaming poo. Its a Miscrosoft's ******* child just like ME.

Comment

Ive been using vista for a long time and really like it. No major issues to speak of. i understand Xp may be slightly faster in games but FOR ME it is not woth switching back when i find vista on the whole to be a superior OS

i would say im getting about a 30FPS avg at 1280x1024 with both sliders at 5

specs:
          680i motherboard
          intel E6600 @2.7Ghz
          ATI X1800XT

Comment

lets see im running vista and im getting 100fps solid didnt know vista was ****

Comment

the thing is.... if you are playing online, you are capped at 90 fps...

don't matter what your offline is... unless you are only playing offline and lans of course...

but I am running vista and uncapped 150+

but I capped it, so all play is the same @90fps...

my other rig xp same spec...etc there is little difference well not enough to make me say xp is better

Comment

I have XP/Vista dual boot and tested UT3 on both platforms and Hickeroar is 100% correct. Vista is totally inferior to XP when it comes to running this game.

I have 8800GTX and I think that what's Hickeroar has as well.

ATI solutions may be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr3thepooner View Post
                  Vista is a pile of steaming poo. Its a Miscrosoft's ******* child just like ME.
                  Pretty good analogy. VistaME

Comment

Originally posted by brdempsey69 View Post
                    I have XP/Vista dual boot and tested UT3 on both platforms and Hickeroar is 100% correct. Vista is totally inferior to XP when it comes to running this game.

I have 8800GTX and I think that what's Hickeroar has as well.

ATI solutions may be a different story.
                    QFT all the way.

I don't buy these stories of people running under vista with their 8800's getting 150+ fps. That's a total line of bull and I'd stake money on it.

Comment

Vista is like Microsoft's answer for Os x.

Comment

Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post
                        Vista is like Microsoft's answer for Os x.
                        Except OSX is a well put together, all around decent operating system. Performance has always increased across the board with every OSX release as well. If Vista is MS's answer to OSX, MS needs to pack up shop and find a new industry to be in.

Comment

glitchy software

Seems to be the the latest craze, release your unfinished Beta to the PDN (Public Developers Network) and let them repair the glitches. Remember when you used to get the free Beta? Now you have to pay for the privelege of repairing software mistakes. I found a couple in the Nvidia Control Panel and it seems all Nvidia wants to do is ignore it. (fan speed on the second gpu and fan speed on certain GS cards). Well in all fairness they do make money if you burn up a card out of warranty. I think its actually just a case of the difficulty of writing the software for all the different systems and variations i.e. xp vista different service packs dx9.0c dx10 ati nvidia, etc... . But it would be very nice if a software developer would just consider releasing a Beta to a bunch of gamers/haxors ahead of time. Of course even if they had the vista thing might have been difficult, has me thinking about linux..., or have I done that before, ah yes fedora and couldn't get a video driver to work, omg! Let us all pray it doesn't get any worse and I am sure that people are working on the problems, that is the PDN.
                          IronMan

Comment

more bull****...

sorry but enless you have a setup of about 10 or more different systems to compare the results on, your results are only valid for your own system.... to bad for you.. but i'm seeing 5-10% performance improvements using vista vs xp..

thanks... have a good day

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
                              Except OSX is a well put together, all around decent operating system. Performance has always increased across the board with every OSX release as well. If Vista is MS's answer to OSX, MS needs to pack up shop and find a new industry to be in.
                              Actually they both suck

Comment

Working...
                              X