Ut3 retail performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ut3 retail performance

To everyone that has it, how is it running? Are you surprised how good it's running or are you not? I've read benchmarks but it's better to get it from actual people. For those of you with 8800gt's and up does it ever slow down with a lot of people in a server plus firefights? I just got the chance to order my new system (q6700, 8800gt, evga 122-CK-NF68-A1 board, 4gb corsair XMS2 ram) and i'm wondering if I'll need to get another gt or not or if it will even help. Thanks.

I have the frame rate cap (62 fps) unlocked via the config file, maxed in game settings + AA 8xQ Forced On thru the Nivida Control Panel (163.75 drv) and hardly ever do I see frame rates drop below 50 fps in the most intense action. Most often in runs around 70 ~ 90 fps in most scenarios at 1680x1050.

edit: my PC is overclocked at 3.33 GHz while running the game, GFX is stock

Comment

Well, I've actually not seen any difference between full version and demo. A single 8800gt/gts does in NO WAY play at 60+ fps all the time on high graphics. My 8800gt with all settings on Low and 1280/1024 goes as low as 35 fps at some points in Shangrila(I play shangrila because no one is on the other servers yet:/), just like demo. Normally it's 70-90, but it drops during heated fights outdoors(just when you need the fps). My results might be due to my processor. Your C2D might do better.

This said, every benchmark I've seen shows 8800gt SLI has 0 improvement over a single card. In fact in 2 different reviews, the SLI 8800gt performed worse then the single 8800gt in UT3.

If anyone with an SLI setup can confirm or deny this, that'd be great.

Comment

Just played Shangrila in multiplayer on line, intense scenes with my above settings frame rate stays around 45 fps. Maybe the C2 Duo is the difference. The game is running super smooth so far.

Comment

I dont know if it's due to updated drivers or what, but I'm seeing much higher framerates across the board than in the Beta. I'm running 1440x900 with all settings up (under XP) and Averaging 70+ fps. I say 70 because when i'm looking up there when nothing's going on I'm doing about 95-110. I figure I'm getting that much of a hit when the action is on. May or may not be.

Comment

Originally posted by duddley View Post
            Well, I've actually not seen any difference between full version and demo. A single 8800gt/gts does in NO WAY play at 60+ fps all the time on high graphics. My 8800gt with all settings on Low and 1280/1024 goes as low as 35 fps at some points in Shangrila(I play shangrila because no one is on the other servers yet:/), just like demo. Normally it's 70-90, but it drops during heated fights outdoors(just when you need the fps). My results might be due to my processor. Your C2D might do better.

This said, every benchmark I've seen shows 8800gt SLI has 0 improvement over a single card. In fact in 2 different reviews, the SLI 8800gt performed worse then the single 8800gt in UT3.

If anyone with an SLI setup can confirm or deny this, that'd be great.

Just my .02 - I also have a 8800GT (albeit overclocked to 725/1816/2000) and I have yet to see Fraps show anything under 50. It get's close only on warfare maps. That is with max in-game settings and 4x Anti-Aliasing turned on through Forceware 169.04 - Those drivers gave me FPS gains across the board, perhaps try them out if you haven't yet.

I also have a C2D: E4300 @ 3.6Ghz (400FSB @ 1.525v)

As AnandTech found: a lower clocked C2D performs as well as a higher clocked one, suggesting that performance is GPU bound. Although, AMD's architecture is much slower in UE3 even if you disregard a "clock for clock" comparison. It looks like part of the problem is that UE3 is better optimized for performance on Intel architectures while possibly neglecting their sponsors rival.

Anandtech seems to have been reliable over the years:
            http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=6

It's a shame that Epic didn't spend more time on performance on AMD processors. We all know about the differences between C2D and A64 X2, but if the game is being GPU bound then that suggests they over looked faulty AMD optimization.

PS: Here is the only place I found to have SLI to single card benches. Apparently they had to "force" it somehow but it did indeed improve performance.
            http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=464&type=expert

g'luck

Comment

you use fraps? Just type "stat fps" in the console and you don't have to worry about the slight fraps overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by thaDAWG View Post
                I have the frame rate cap (62 fps) unlocked via the config file, maxed in game settings + AA 8xQ Forced On thru the Nivida Control Panel (163.75 drv) and hardly ever do I see frame rates drop below 50 fps in the most intense action. Most often in runs around 70 ~ 90 fps in most scenarios at 1680x1050.

edit: my PC is overclocked at 3.33 GHz while running the game, GFX is stock
                happy to hear that. then i can go to the max. 16x qaa on 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. just making sure never falling below 40 fps

Comment

Originally posted by duddley View Post
                  At least in the demo I never saw fps go below 60 in Shangri'La with 1600x1200 and demo max settings. Not even in a 16 player deathmatch on courtyard.

C2D e6750 3.3ghz and GF8800GT 700/1000

Comment

I'm gonna hook UT3 up to my 1080P tv one of these days and see how it performs there. I'd imagine the moderate bump from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 wouldn't make an overly huge difference in performance. With what I'm averaging right now I think the drop would be insignificant...

Comment

Well this confirms it runs well on the C2 Duo processors and you don't needed an SLI setup for max settings. That was my goal when I built this rig for running Photoshop CS3 and UT3 7 months ago, I'm a happy camper.

I was going to get 2 more gigs of RAM but don't need it with WinXP.

I have no intentions of buying that glorified Far Cry game either.

Comment

Mine hangs up every time i try to play campaign mode.
                        Otherwise it is fine, but i really want to play campaign mode!
                        Help.

Comment

Playing offline at 1920 x 1200 with details levels at 5 and have been had no issues to really speak of. I haven't messed with any ini tweaks or driver control panel settings (drivers are at default).

The only oddness I've experienced is around the portal down by the RL in Deck which makes no sense really since all of the warfare maps run perfectly. I have traditionally sacrificed uber high frames for some good eye candy as long as it's playable and doesn't get me killed though.

Specs:
                          • AMD Athlon X2 4800+ 939 @ stock
                          • Zalman CNPS9700 NT CPU Cooling
                          • Asus A8N-SLi Premium
                          • BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 (626/2000)
                          • 2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 (PC3200)
                          • Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
                          • 24" SGI FW9011 Widescreen CRT

Comment

Performance in game appears to be on par with the demo. However, I get mouse lag in the menus which never occurred with the demo. Also, does it lag for anyone else when customizing your character?

Comment

Well, performance wise, there are some maps that perform very well, some, not so good. Yes, my hardware is ancient, but still some maps are playable.

Probably only subjective otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X