Thoughts on the campaign [very minor spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I've noticed they(teammates) like to sit in the leviathan stuck doing nothing.. All of a sudden half the team is missing and then you see. 2 of them sitting in the leviathan doing nothing. Happened to me twice in one of the torlan maps. + I've seen them stuck in other vehicles too, doing nothing. Even if they don't get stuck you hav to do everything yourself.
    Also I agree with every single point the threadstarter had.

I like playing deathmatch in instant action against the bots though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I still like the whole "It's WWE with guns and ****" stuff rather than this **** campaign they tried to pull off. They did it pretty good in Unreal Championship 2.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I thought that they had lost the whole tournament idea when they stopped with the yearly numbers. I thought that there would be more of a story line to it :\

Ut 2004 for me was so much better that this one

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tried different choices, leading up to this example of strikingly bad game design:

[shot]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7440/badgamedesigniw2.jpg[/shot]

6 against 4? I get that, no problem, a horde of krall and all. They get exclusive acces to the Darkwalker? Fine, the walker is there because I didn't move on Heatray sooner. I get that too. First time around I moved on Heatray immediately and didn't have to deal with the Walker. What I don't get, however, is why my teammates just give away free frags under these circumstances.

And it's not just Heatray. Several other matches have been designed in such a way that you have no hopes of winning unless you turn down the difficulty level and take on the entire enemy team by yourself. Unwinnable matches just don't make sense, and if I'm supposed to fight 6 on 1 then why not include some free for all Deathmatch?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After talking to some people I get the feeling that I missed quite a bit because of the "choices" I made. I didn't get some of the cards and I didn't play some of the maps. I'm giving it another try but it's still pretty much impossible to make the right "choices".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Getting the final trophy in UT99 and hearing the ending theme song for the first time was and still is one of my most memorable and satisfying gaming moments. It was a god **** nice trophy.

I can say without a doubt that I like the tournament style single player best and I didn't want anything other than that, but I don't blame Epic for trying something new. People say they didn't like the old one and want something new. They get something new, don't like it and they suddenly want the old back. Can't be easy for those guys, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well this time around the rest of your team feels more closely knit, they all chime in about stuff occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really liked the ut2k4 hiring/team management based singleplayer as well. It seemed to have more replay value than simple instant action.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Imo playing easy bots or solo on each map after the other is better to learn the maps than get thrown into 2:1 fights with teammates that spend most of the game guarding a node that can't be attacked, running back to the core to get the orb or simply being stuck in some random part of shrubbery.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Agreed, the campaign sucks a lot. The duel versus akasha was actually one of the easiest fights, due to not having to compensate for ****ty teammates. I played through the campaign to get a nice feel for all the maps, and make sure I played all of them. Loved pretty much all the maps, hated pretty much everything else about the campaign - especially the fact that there were no regular deathmatch games and only 2 duels. It was much more satisfying in UT99, going through the tournament cups and getting a big trophy after winning the finale of each game type.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You get very limited information about your missions. Malcolm feeds you some one-liners, which you can't play back without exiting to the main menu and which don't match the descriptions in the mission details.

Extremely linear. You rarely get offered a choice at all. When you do get a choice, Malcolm usually doesn't stop to tell you which is which or what the point of either is, so good luck choosing. When you pick one, usually you have to do the other anyway.
    Yes it's really hard to know which mission he refers to when he does say which is which, it's a guessing game.

And yes the 8 vs 4 Krall games can test anyone's patience, and your team is utterly useless, 300~ points for me, 15-3 range on my team and 30-20 for the 8 Krall, you feel like a one man army alone against 8 enemies, which is exactly what happens btw.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Thoughts on the campaign [very minor spoilers]

Thoughts on the campaign [very minor spoilers]

Just finished the campaign. My thoughts:
    • Fun while it lasted. Could have been way better.
    • World maps look very nice.
    • You get very limited information about your missions. Malcolm feeds you some one-liners, which you can't play back without exiting to the main menu and which don't match the descriptions in the mission details.
    • Extremely linear. You rarely get offered a choice at all. When you do get a choice, Malcolm usually doesn't stop to tell you which is which or what the point of either is, so good luck choosing. When you pick one, usually you have to do the other anyway.
    • Didn't last as long as it could have. Bunch of maps were missing, though that may have been the result of my "choices".
    • The cards... since you never get a clue what's coming next, you never know when to play the cards until after you try and fail.
    • The story... heh, who am I kidding? What story?
    • The corporate struggle/war backdrop is... interesting. Epic's attempts at passing off a blatant tournament setting as an actual warzone are hilarious ("steal three FLaGs to destroy the enemy respawner").
    • The cutscenes are pretty good, though not "OMG absolutely must see again" good (with the exception of the Necris invasion). Curiously enough, some of the vehicles seem to showcase movement and firing modes that don't entirely correspond with their actual workings.
    • The in-game tutorials are nicely made but fall short in the schooling department. They explain the basic game modes (steal the flags, heal your nodes, translocate) but didn't go into finer points *cough* such as how to dodge, how to use the jump boots, how to time powerups (the clock is off by default), how to combo... n00bs will still be at least half-n00b after playing through the campaign.
    • You have no influence on your team (except for playing a card, which you can do, like, twice ever). You can't fire or hire anyone, which was one of the cooler features of UT2. You get to play Warfare with only 3 (count 'em!) teammates.
    • Some matches are horribly unbalanced. Like being outnumbered 2 to 1 and/or starting with a huge disadvantage. I don't have problems with challenges, but I do get annoyed at constantly having to compensate for the inadequacy of my teammates. The only way you're going to win some of the matches is by outperforming the entire enemy team single-handedly.
    • Teammates are somewhat clueless. They'll outperform your enemies in the early chapters but not after that (and that's when you get outnumbered, too).
    • Bishop has serious style! Great voice, great quotes!
    • Othello always scores in the single digits and really hurts your team in TDM. I'd rather play TDM with one man down than with Othello on my team.
    • **** ending.
    • Replayability is almost nonexistent since the campaign is basically Instant Action + cutscenes - options. I wouldn't know what different choices to make anyway.
    • I wonder if it's hard to mod the campaign... make a new one, with real options and team management.
Working...
X