Vista or XP??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista or XP??

I have a dual boot system running Windows XP and Windows Vista. I was just wondering which OS will give me the best performance for UT3? Anyone out there tried the game on both, or can link me to a valid review/comparison of UT3 performance under each OS?

XP.

Though it's not a big difference, I also dual boot XP32 and Vista64, and by dual boot I mean I got both OS:es on my machine and I can pick which on boot, haven't used XP more than occasionally since I installed vista.

Comment

also the Direct x 10 in vista...

Comment

Originally posted by m3b View Post
        also the Direct x 10 in vista...
        UT3 doesn't make use of DX10 yet, it will after patching according to Epic.

Comment

oh, i didnt know that, thanks for the info krill

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. So for now I'll install it under XP, and if I hear of performance increases with direct x 10 I'll shoot it over to my vista installation.

Comment

DX10 will only hurt your performance. Look at the DX10 vs DX9 performance difference in Gears of War (same engine, same game company.) Hardocp.com had a comparison. DX10 vs DX9 with the same settings saw a massive drop in framerate under DX10 and literally NO difference in graphics. XP will probably always be a faster platform for gaming as well. Vista + gaming = sucks. DX10 (at this stage of the game) is an utter waste.

Unless there's some massive visual jump when DX10 gets added to UT3, I'll be sticking with XP.

Comment

Thanks for the input man. I agree, that's why I have a dual-boot system. XP for games, and Vista for normal applications. Yeah DX10 is only worth it for visuals, and a lot of times the visuals don't justify the performance hit.

Comment

Working...
                X