fps and you; a story how 60fps changed my ut life lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sidesh0w View Post
    Can someone explain about TFT screens ? Do they have that same refresh rate of 60Hz ?
    My TFT monitor has "an update of 8ms" ... how does that correspond to the Hz of a CRT screen
    I am not sure if this translates directly to monitors or not, but in electricity time and frequency are inverses of each other. So 8ms would be 0.008 s which would be 1/(0.008) = 125Hz.

Comment

100 frames+ = amazing shock combos being made !

Comment

One thing about vsync - even if you are getting below 60FPS (or whatever your framerate cap is for your monitor) you can still get screen tearing with vsync disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
          It locks the FPS of the game to the refresh rate of your screen (60Hz = 60 FPS) the ms of the screen has nothing to do with it.
          Not entirely true on the first part. 60hz != 60fps all the time. If your system can only crank out 45fps and your refresh rate is 60hz, but the rendering of frames only lines up with a refresh at 40 frames a second, you effectively lose 5fps by enabling vsync, but you don't have any tearing. The same thing might happen if you can pull off 65fps. It's possible only 55 of those frames will line up with a refresh and the extras will be dropped. Enabling "triple buffering" in your vid card control panel can help minimize this supposedly.

I encounter so little tearing that it's not an issue. I'll take liquid smooth framerates over the extremely minimal visual gains of vsync anyday.

You are correct on the second part though. The MS of the monitor is how long it takes from the signal being sent to the monitor until the monitor picture actually changes. It has nothing to do with vsync. It was a real problem with LCD monitors a couple years ago where you'd move the mouse in a FPS game and there would be a visible lag between your move and the screen moving. Anything under 10ms is just fine. You could probably go a bit over 10ms and not notice it at all as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidesh0w View Post
            Can someone explain about TFT screens ? Do they have that same refresh rate of 60Hz ?
            My TFT monitor has "an update of 8ms" ... how does that correspond to the Hz of a CRT screen
            Refresh rate don't matter with an LCD monitor the "8ms" does though. For best gaming the lower the number the better.

Comment

I think losing a few FPS is a better tradeoff than having screen-tearing. But then a _lot_ of that depends on a few things:

What the FPS is, in the first place.

How much slower the FPS drops with Vsync enabled.

How much screen-tearing is occuring.

In my case, I am on a slow PC, and I still get screen-tearing. When I enable Vsync I get more of an advantage with no screen-tearing, than a disadvantage of losing about 3FPS average. So for me, the FPS drop is not noticable. The lack of screen-tearing is very noticable.

This will vary for different systems and people, naturally.

Comment

Working...
              X