Jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping

I noticed that jumping on ut3 is smarter than in ut2k4....

in ut2k4 jumping was a spam and annoying to some point.. but i was for survival and sometimes it was fun... i founded my self lots of times jumping over nothing...

i have noticed on ut3 there is not much jumping.. people dont jump much is it just me or this people i been playing against and i been watching in videos suck?

For me in UT3 jumping and dodging are mostly used like this:

Dodging - Get to places quicker, and literally dodge incoming projectiles (Rockets, Stinger Shards, etc.)

Jumping - Used with strafing to give my opponent a hard to hit target, and occasionally to get over objects. Most effective vs hitscan weapons like the Shock and Stinger.

Since you can't jump as long distances in UT3 compared to 2kX people are thinking about how they move rather than just moving. I've seen people dodge a nonstop spray from a Stinger, including myself, using just the strafing and jumping technique. It's all kinda something you learn as you gain experience, you'll find yourself moving around where you believe your enemy is and will be aiming. And once you truly get it down, you can make really accurate shots back at your enemy while doing those maneuvers. The same is true for dodging vehicles like the Manta, and other stuff.

Since people don't have to move like that as much in a vertical sense you'll see what looks like a noob doing fairly well without those amazing feats of acrobatics. Couple that with weapons that are more damage-intensive like UT99's were and you have a much more fast-paced and gritty combat experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Reise View Post
      For me in UT3 jumping and dodging are mostly used like this:

Dodging - Get to places quicker, and literally dodge incoming projectiles (Rockets, Stinger Shards, etc.)

Jumping - Used with strafing to give my opponent a hard to hit target, and occasionally to get over objects. Most effective vs hitscan weapons like the Shock and Stinger.

Since you can't jump as long distances in UT3 compared to 2kX people are thinking about how they move rather than just moving. I've seen people dodge a nonstop spray from a Stinger, including myself, using just the strafing and jumping technique. It's all kinda something you learn as you gain experience, you'll find yourself moving around where you believe your enemy is and will be aiming. And once you truly get it down, you can make really accurate shots back at your enemy while doing those maneuvers. The same is true for dodging vehicles like the Manta, and other stuff.

Since people don't have to move like that as much in a vertical sense you'll see what looks like a noob doing fairly well without those amazing feats of acrobatics. Couple that with weapons that are more damage-intensive like UT99's were and you have a much more fast-paced and gritty combat experience.

Thank you

Comment

I'm the kind of guy that loads up 2/3 rockets, jumps and sends them flying, rockets area easier to aim from above imo.

Comment

Anybody notice that anywhere you need to jump onto something, you'll need to doublejump? The single jump seems pointless.

Comment

I jump if a target as moved so that I need to shot over something. But I mostly dodge. I also double jump wall dodge a lot. Jumping and constantly dodging are not the smartest thing to do unless your almost 100% accurate. I tend to just walk around the map, with dodging when I need to move fast, it's easier to keep an idea of your opponents position.

Comment

The single jump is good for movement - jump/dodge forward/jump/dodge forward is much faster with a single jump.

EDIT: And Bebo, I generally dodge all the time, I only walk when approaching someone from behind (and know that no one's behind me).

Comment

I find walldodge way more usefull here, it gives you a nice vertical boost if you do it when you are still rising. so jump/dodge jump/jump/dodge is very useful for getting around quicker, and you can perform nice tricks with this (like on shangri's belt lift to the roof over amp), and also usefull during combat

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                  I'm the kind of guy that loads up 2/3 rockets, jumps and sends them flying, rockets area easier to aim from above imo.
                  now i know ill have to use hit scan vs u!

Comment

i'm sure i'll get used to the new jumping and moving technique, but while i was playing a ctf map in the full game today, i found myself stuck a lot on a map that i wouldn't have been stuck if I had a higher double-jump. I understand why some people thought it was lame, but I think it actually added to the game. It made it much easier to get around a map.

Comment

Working...
                    X