Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 bindings

Hi everyone,

I have a question related to the key bindings. How do I bind "Walk" or "Walking" to some key? I don't find "Walk" or anything like that in the menu where you can choose your controls.

In UT (1999) and UT2004 you had this in your user.ini:

Shift=Walking
    Aliases[18]=(Command="Button bRun",Alias="Walking")

In UT3 full game I only find the following lines that might refer to "Walking", in my UTInput.ini

[Engine.PlayerInput]
    Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="Walking")
    Bindings=(Name="Walking",Command="Button bRun")

[UTGame.UTPlayerInput]
    Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="Walking",Contr ol=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="Walking",Command="Button bRun",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Holding the LeftShift button just doesn't do anything for me, you keep running fast. I tried changing the line in the ini to 'Shift' or "SHIFT" without any luck.

Why is such an essential movement element NOT available through the "Configure keys" menu? Many people use the walk key both in their movement (in combination with strafing) and for strategic purposes (noise = giving away your position). While playing a fast shooter there are still many moments where you simply do not want to move or make noise. OK, ducking helps, but that's just not the same (and not meant to the the same) as just walking silently.

Could someone of the UT3 crew tell us more about this or point me to a similar topic when this is already discussed? (didn't find any related topic yet).

Best regards,
    Kenny

Im with you... someone knows?

Comment

Let's hope someone can provide an answer!

Comment

Have you tried "Walk" as opposed to Walking?

Comment

Got the same problem. I really don't get why it's not possible to set a bind for walking through the menu where you can bind other keys.

Is there anyone who managed to "walk"? If so, could you tell what is in your UTInput.ini?

I really miss the "walk" key, it's a key I used to use alot.

Comment

Yes I tried walk. Also, I tried changing this part too: Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False
            (I tried putting True in all, or in one of the three)

What I noticed, when I START a map and you're in 'spec' while the countdown starts, when you're 'flying' through the map and you PUSH SHIFT, then your flying speed increases. While I would expect a decrease. It's weird, I hope someone of Epic can explain us if it's possible to walk or not. Good movement (including the ability to walk) is crucial in any FPS, just like aiming (mouse settings). It seems both aren't as good as in previous UT versions.

Comment

Indeed, saw the same just before the countdown of a map.
              I'm not an expert, but it sounds logic to me that if things like "Walking" can be found in UTInput.ini, it has to be possible to bind a kind so you can walk. I don't really understand the binding system in UT 3 yet.

Maybe someone has a clue on how to bind a key to this "Walking"? If so, don't hesitate to share it with us :-) Because it makes no sense that it doesn't seem to work or that it doesn't seem to be available. Never though I would have to ask others how I can walk in a game. But now, for the first time, I see no other option than asking others.

Comment

Originally posted by Drets View Post
                Indeed, saw the same just before the countdown of a map.
                I'm not an expert, but it sounds logic to me that if things like "Walking" can be found in UTInput.ini, it has to be possible to bind a kind so you can walk. I don't really understand the binding system in UT 3 yet.

Maybe someone has a clue on how to bind a key to this "Walking"? If so, don't hesitate to share it with us :-) Because it makes no sense that it doesn't seem to work or that it doesn't seem to be available. Never though I would have to ask others how I can walk in a game. But now, for the first time, I see no other option than asking others.
                Nobody seem to reply so far. Anyone knows how I can find this out?

Comment

Just curious. How often do you "walk" in a UT game? In UT99 the only reason I ever used it (and had a bind for it) because it would allow you to jump without wasting a jump boot boost. That's not an issue in UT3 since you have to double jump to use them now. Is it a stealth thing?
                  In retrospect, one of the funniest things I saw in UT99 was someone using the nick "The Walking Man" and had "always run" turned off. Nothing looks outragously ridiculous more so than watching the UT models in the walking animation constantly.

Comment

To me, nothing looks more ridiculous than not being able to walk.

When using walk in UT99 in combination with strafe, you can e.g. snipe more easy between little gaps that are like 2 mm big on your screen...it also makes it harder for your opponent to really predict your movement (especially in instagib).

Given the fact that aiming is still a little "floaty" in UT 3 and there still seems to be some acceleration/delay when aiming very fast horizontally from the left to the right, I think having an option to "walk" can help. In instagib, it gives you more stability to make a long range shot (when you only have one chance...)

Maybe you don't think it's usefull and think it's ridiculous, but that's your problem. If you can't see the use of having a walk button, than you obviously never played instagib in competition. No offence. I just think walking should be possible. Still can't believe it isn't

Comment

How hard it actually is to get a simple answer in this *official* forum. Nobody knows more about binding or enabling "Walk" ?

Comment

It's not in the game because a walk command would be too complicated for console play.

Yes, the PC version of UT3 has been severly nerfed for the sake of consoles.

The horror.

Comment

Here is what I found looking at the UTInput.ini:

Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="MoreSpeed | OnRelease NormalSpeed",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

This is what makes you slow down when in observer (flying) mode when you press SHIFT.

Go from there...

Comment

not sure about the command to bind a key but double-tapping crouch lets you walk/creep around

Comment

Originally posted by rozy View Post
                              How hard it actually is to get a simple answer in this *official* forum. Nobody knows more about binding or enabling "Walk" ?
                              It's probably because that features does not exist, to be honest. Hate to disappoint you but if we don't know, then it probably isn't there.

Comment

Working...
                              X