Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 System Specs

Hey guys

Just wondering what some of you think about my system, and if it will be able to run UT3 decently? It's just a temporary thing until I can get my new one built sometime in the future ;D

CPU: AM2-940 x2 Dual Core 6000+
    Motherboard: ASSU (AM2-940) M2N-X
    GFX Card: ECS PCI-E 512MB 8600GT
    Memory: Samsung 2GB DDR2 800

I know I know, terrible system

Let me know what you guys think!

yes you're ok, the beta demo seem to run fine on my computer, at 1024x768, with full everything (with tweaked inaccessible useless graphics options from the ini files, like taking out quality bloom, depth of field, disablind D3D10 since i have a DirectX 9 video card...enabling a Geforce 6/7 option so it won't hang for a few seconds the first time you use a weapon...)

i just hope the full version will be even more optimized graphically than the beta demo.

Comment

Sounds re-assuring I actually have no idea which cards support DirectX10 etc since I haven't built or bought any PC parts for a loooong time. Does mine?

I'm picking everything up in a few days so it's why i'm asking :P Not infront of me so I can't see it hehe

Comment

Originally posted by sw1ft View Post
        Hey guys

Just wondering what some of you think about my system, and if it will be able to run UT3 decently? It's just a temporary thing until I can get my new one built sometime in the future ;D

CPU: AM2-940 x2 Dual Core 6000+
        Motherboard: ASSU (AM2-940) M2N-X
        GFX Card: ECS PCI-E 512MB 8600GT
        Memory: Samsung 2GB DDR2 800

I know I know, terrible system

Let me know what you guys think!
        Look, false modestly will get you nowhere.

Seriously though, that's a good system. You could upgrade to 4GB RAM and Vista 64 and that'll help some, but outside of that you are looking at more substantial upgrades. Like to CPU and video card. That could be expensive. Whereas a little more RAM might not cost more than $100, getting a faster CPU, motherboard and video card might be $500 or more.

So don't sweat the big upgrades. Consider getting more RAM if you can do it cheaply, and if you don't have Vista64 you won't recognize much more than 3GB of RAM anyways, so the RAM upgrade might not help as much.

BTW your current video card, the 8600GT, is a DX10 card. All GeForce 7 and 8 cards are DX10 cards.

edit: I don't know what I was thinking. GeForce 8 cards are DX10 cards. It's late.

Comment

Hah, didn't intend to make it sound like false modesty :P

Will Vista 64 make much of an impact and/or difference to say, XP Pro? From what i've heard, it slows performance down for many things (games, etc). Although I obviously don't know for fact

Comment

Originally posted by sw1ft View Post
            Hah, didn't intend to make it sound like false modesty :P

Will Vista 64 make much of an impact and/or difference to say, XP Pro?
            Oh I am just pickin at ya.

XP Pro is a 32-bit OS and has the same addressability problem that Vista32 has. You can only access 4GB of RAM and a lot of that top gig is not accessable for a couple reasons. Anyhow the bottom line is expect a little more than 3GB of accessable RAM if you have an XP or Vista32 system.

One other thing, even if you get a 64-bit version of Vista, that can access 8GB or more RAM (based on version) 32-bit programs still have issues if they get past the 2GB mark in terms of RAM usage. Some will crash when they get beyond 2GB of usage, but few games ever grab that much RAM. Supreme Commander is one such game, but only if you have tons of AI characters filling the map.

Anyhow, if you get a system with 4GB or more of RAM, it's best to have a 64-bit OS like Vista64, WinXP64, or a 64bit version of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
              Oh I am just pickin at ya.

XP Pro is a 32-bit OS and has the same addressability problem that Vista32 has. You can only access 4GB of RAM and a lot of that top gig is not accessable for a couple reasons. Anyhow the bottom line is expect a little more than 3GB of accessable RAM if you have an XP or Vista32 system.

One other thing, even if you get a 64-bit version of Vista, that can access 8GB or more RAM (based on version) 32-bit programs still have issues if they get past the 2GB mark in terms of RAM usage. Some will crash when they get beyond 2GB of usage, but few games ever grab that much RAM. Supreme Commander is one such game, but only if you have tons of AI characters filling the map.

Anyhow, if you get a system with 4GB or more of RAM, it's best to have a 64-bit OS like Vista64, WinXP64, or a 64bit version of Linux.
              I see

Thanks alot for the explanation, appreciated !

Comment

Working...
              X