This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the Germans?

Okay...to make things clear from the beginning: this thread isn't meant as a place to vent jealousy or (god forbid) anger.

So the Germans have the retail game in stores first. A cut version, but retail nonetheless. Nice for them. But why?

In the past, games, movies, and so on always either start in the US or Japan. Because they're the most tech-savvy? Because of import restrictions in Europe? Time for translations? I don't know. That's just the world as it is. Economy stuff...

So how come the German version is released earlier than the one in the rest of the world?
    Yes, I've heard of the legal thing, and that the game doesn't have the gore or the needed multilanguage files. Does that mean this extra content is still in the making right now?
    I'd like to think so, but that would contradict with the fact that the game already went gold. That would also bring up the question as to why English wasn't first choice. Especially since the demo is all-out English.

And the German in the game...erm...could have been better, judging by the impressions. That makes things even harder to understand. If there's a German localisation team at Epic quarters that finished their stuff ahead of the others, why didn't they take the time to properly test their outcome?

Another reason I've heard (though not officially...I don't follow all the press releases) is that it was done because the Germans always supported the UT-series very well. I most certainly won't contest that. But is that sufficient to grant them an earlier release date?

Most Germans I've played with haven't been able to find it in stores, by the way. Pre-orders arrived in time (at least: the ones from Amazon), but more than a few large hardware stores still don't have it.

I dunno...if the demo wasn't released in advance, I'd come to the conclusion that you're using them as voluntary Guinea pigs to test out the game. But now...I honestly don't know.

Any suggestions?

Apparently their european disc pressing facility is in Germany.

Plus their German cut version only needs to be administered to a very small community - whereas the rest of Europe and the World takes longer to press enough discs.

I wouldn't worry about it, the German version is not something to be jealous of.

Comment

Bad luck..
      Get used to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Matfei View Post
        I wouldn't worry about it, the German version is not something to be jealous of.

If it had proper translation or at least English Voices/Announce it coulda been great.
        I think we got it first, because its not as good as the english version, look at the translation and no blood.
        Probably early release = apologize for no blood and babelfish translation.

Comment

Another suggestion:

Might have something to do with the fact that Germany is one of the few countries that still has a very, very strong market for PC games, compared to other countries and consoles.

And this week there will be another PC game which is also made in Germany. Midway probably wanted to get more sales be releasing UT3 PC here before the other game, which is a very good thing, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by m4tze View Post
            If it had proper translation or at least English Voices/Announce it coulda been great.
            Here, check this out: http://boltwared.co.uk/cobra/Unreal%...o-English.html

Comment

Originally posted by m4tze View Post

The game can easily be patched to English.

EDIT: beaten

Comment

Working...
              X