Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I read this right? You can install UT3 on the PS3 HDD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I read this right? You can install UT3 on the PS3 HDD??

I read the recent article/review of UT3 (PC/PS3) from IGN

The very last paragraph on the 2nd page states:

The PS3 version is nearly identical to the PC release that will come at the same time. You can even install the PS3 version to the hard drive, though you won't be able to adjust video settings to optimize performance as you can on PC. Right now, the PS3 version is running in 720p. It looks good, though a PC can support higher resolutions and look even smoother
    I'm not sure if this was some type of typo, a misread on my part, or if its actually true that you can install UT3 on the PS3 HDD and run it off the HDD...??

If this is true, that is amazing! I'm sure load times would be faster and some things would run smoother, and then the whole conveniance of not having to put the Blu-Ray Disc in, etc...

I've been meaning to create an account for years here @ the epic forums, and this question finally got me to do it

Thx in advance

"some things would run smoother"

Why? You won't get any extra fps

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
      "some things would run smoother"

Why? You won't get any extra fps
      Level streaming works better from an HD.

Comment

I have no idea, just figured reading from a HDD compared to a Blu-Ray drive would have a minor effect on fps but I guess not, no big deal... just curious if that article was true is all

sorry for thinking that

Comment

Yes there is an install option which places a bunch of the commonly used content on your hard drive to speed up loading and texture streaming times a bit. It does not install everything - you still have to put the disc in the drive to run the game. The install is absolutely not essential. The game runs just fine from the Bluray and load times aren't bad but if you're going to play the game a lot, and you've got an extra 3.5Gb on your hard drive, then you might as well do the install because the few seconds you save here and there will add up over time. If you want to free up space you can delete the installed data at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rein View Post
            Yes there is an install option which places a bunch of the commonly used content on your hard drive to speed up loading and texture streaming times a bit. It does not install everything - you still have to put the disc in the drive to run the game. The install is absolutely not essential. The game runs just fine from the Bluray and load times aren't bad but if you're going to play the game a lot, and you've got an extra 3.5Gb on your hard drive, then you might as well do the install because the few seconds you save here and there will add up over time. If you want to free up space you can delete the installed data at any time.
            Cool..Hey mark, i know you guys were working on the *hopefully* final version of the ps3 this week...hows it going!? Gah i want this so bad! youre killing me!

Comment

Wow, the man himself replies to my thread! Thanks Mark Rein

I think this is a GREAT feature for the PS3, it helps increase things up... didn't see this one coming at all! I'm buying a PS3 specifically for GTAIV/UT3 (Whichever comes first), and ill be installing a 300GB in it (I'm actually debating installing a those fancy Samsung SSD HDD's ) so I think I'll have plenty of room!

Thanks again Mark Rein, I apreciate the info

Comment

Will the PS3 version also use the same FOV between 4:3 and 16:10? (assuming the PS3 can even run at 4:3 output)... or in other words will it have a LOW FOV like it does on PC (90) when the aspect ratio dictates a higher setting for comfort and ergonomics (100.4 to be exact on 16:10 - higher for HDTV 16:9).

Of course, even in today's widescreen riddled field of gamers, many many players still don't understand why this is of importance but for those that do or go on to see how it should be done we only shake our heads in disbelief at why these decisions are made.

Comment

Wow, this is good news I like the install option offered. Thanks EPIC!
                  Can't wait for UT3..

Comment

holy cow thats pretty freak'in amazing that Mark... sweet... now makes me wonder if the PC version could run right off the CD? even if u needed a Blue Ray drive to do it.

Comment

almost all ps3 games are installed. its because reading off an hdd is tremendously faster than blu-ray or dvd

Comment

Working...
                      X