No announcement yet.

My (short) review of UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The console key was changed because in the demo you could not type '@' on a UK keyboard without bringing up the console, thus you couldn't enter your email address easily when signing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Entil'Zha View Post
      When you say 1680x1050 can you confirm if we have proper widescreen hor+
      Meaning more viewscreen on the sides compared to a 4:3 monitor
      (And not less on the top and bottom)
      Reports say it's exactly as in the demo.. no proper widescreen FOV (doesn't change when you change aspect ratios nor is it selectable in the menus).

you can still type it in the console (FOV 100) but it still resets each time you die.

You can bind it to a key ('W') so that it's always set once you move forward but how clunky is that?

Also I think it's still restricted to 100 which is no good for 16:9 or triplescreen etc.

Seems no dev that uses UE3 takes widescreen users seriously...

to put it in perspective and sum it up, if you play on a widescreen you will be missing vertical axis view top and bottom (compared to the 'real' 4:3 view) and thus at a disadvantage. Horizontal is no big deal it's all about vertical in UT3 and is more important than the small amount we gain on the sides compared to 4:3. On top of that it feels too low which can cause problems with people who feel sick esp in a fast moving/roller coaster game like UT. Also your gun will appear to float at times because you will hardly see the hand/arm holding it (unconfirmed by myself, not played full version but that's what I read).

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post
        The console key was changed because in the demo you could not type '@' on a UK keyboard without bringing up the console, thus you couldn't enter your email address easily when signing up.
        Better yet, you could not type "Ö" which is a often used letter in finnish as well as in other scandinavian languages and even german.

Comment

Originally posted by DG25 View Post
          Hmm, i found that you can make some of the maps look more visible, by turning off DepthOfField (in UTEngine.ini).

ON: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/710/dofonej0.jpg

OFF: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3230/dofoffcf1.jpg

It's a shame that you don't have the option to turn this thing off in the menus, and you have to tweak the ini for this.
          ****! The freaking World Detail is STILL turned down to "1" when you turn DepthofField off. That is so incredibly retarded. I just can't understand why they have done that.

Look at the screenshots closely. You can clearly see that other effects and enhancements have been taken off in addition to depth of field.

I was really hoping that it would not be this way in the final game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
            Reports say it's exactly as in the demo.. no proper widescreen FOV (doesn't change when you change aspect ratios nor is it selectable in the menus).

you can still type it in the console (FOV 100) but it still resets each time you die.

You can bind it to a key ('W') so that it's always set once you move forward but how clunky is that?

Also I think it's still restricted to 100 which is no good for 16:9 or triplescreen etc.

Seems no dev that uses UE3 takes widescreen users seriously...

to put it in perspective and sum it up, if you play on a widescreen you will be missing vertical axis view top and bottom (compared to the 'real' 4:3 view) and thus at a disadvantage. Horizontal is no big deal it's all about vertical in UT3 and is more important than the small amount we gain on the sides compared to 4:3. On top of that it feels too low which can cause problems with people who feel sick esp in a fast moving/roller coaster game like UT. Also your gun will appear to float at times because you will hardly see the hand/arm holding it (unconfirmed by myself, not played full version but that's what I read).
            I made this from the demo, but in case people wanted to see what they're going to be missing by using their expensive widescreens instead of a typical 4:3 ratio monitor, http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ference_sm.png

The green was taken at 1280x720, and the regular coloured portions were 1280x1024. The FOV is default at 100. My screen is native 1080p (1920x1080) and I'd like to be able to see those portions missing at the top of the screen somehow. I don't know if they're limiting the view to be 'fair' to the gamers with 4:3 ratio screens, but now that a lot of people have widescreen, this is going to probably screw over more people than anything else.

I heard bioshock (which uses U3 engine) suffered from the same flaw, so I'm guessing it might not be a fix we'll ever see unless someone caves in and lets FOV be tied to aspect ratio instead of just a hard limit at 120.

Comment

I think of all the countless hours i've played the original Unreal and UT (and built maps, scripted, etc.) and less on UT2003 & UT2004 and i hoped so much that UT3 would get the game back on track but from all i've read in these posts, i've decided this will be my first UT to just pass up

my favorite puter game has become a not so great console game

i'll have a look into UT3 again later to see if any major changes to FIX this game

Comment

My native resolution for my screen is 1680x1050 so it fills the screen

I have a viewsonic VX2035wm 16:10 widescreen

Comment

Create a better res on the NVidia control panel like 1400x1050, 1500x1050 or 1600x1050. When you decided to buy a 16:10 screen you should have expect some compromise the same way there is on a 16:9 TV with 4:3 broadcast

Comment

Originally posted by VACkillers View Post
                    thats kind why im leaning towards that not all textures or full graphics are fully in the game yet and may come to be enabled through some sort of patch later when more home pcs are able to run it... but i may be totally wrong of course and probably am lol
                    There def seems to be more just like the retail if u look on the demo in the
                    \Localization\INT\utgame.int there are things that are not in the video setting
                    ;///////////////
                    ; Advanced Video Options
                    ;///////////////

;[FXDetail UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                    ;FriendlyName=FX Detail
                    ;Description=Change the detail of special effects geometry in-game.

;[DecalQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                    ;FriendlyName=Decal Quality
                    ;Description=Change the quality of decals in-game.

;[LightingQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                    ;FriendlyName=Lighting Quality
                    ;Description=Change the quality of lighting in-game.

;[ShadowQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                    ;FriendlyName=Shadow Quality
                    ;Description=Change the quality of shadows in-game.

;[PostProcessQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                    ;FriendlyName=Post-Process Quality
                    ;Description=Change the quality of post-processing in-game.

these are not there to change. who knows DX10 users might be able to access them, guess we will have to wait and see.

"i know someone already found this in the demo so im not taking any credit for finding it"

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadRoadkill
                      Epic's attitude seems so arrogant now.
                      Please, could you provide links where Epic employees show arrogance, or add up to 1/10 th of the number of arrogant posts against them on their own forum ?

Comment

Lol im just waking up dont mind me.. yes that is my viewing screen i just doing the quick and simple way printscreen and paist to paint and saving as jpeg so it loweres the quality, but at the same it gives u an idea on what it looks like Im using the DVI on my monitor and it looks quit better viewing it on my screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                          Please, could you provide links where Epic employees show arrogance, or add up to 1/10 th of the number of arrogant posts against them on their own forum ?
                          I think he's referring to the lack of communication.

Comment

Originally posted by Asil
                            I think he's referring to the lack of communication.
                            Yes, but there are so many arrogant, whining, everything-is-wrong-and-Epic-doesn't-care posts from forum members, that it would be a waste of time to reply to most of them because they are pure garbage or the same thing has been said before. Be certain that they are listening, and as any other software developer, they will solve most of the problem with future patches.

Comment

oh come on you guys.Some of you act rly spoilt...

this will actually be the first game ever i'm going to buy.And this is going to happen because i want the original "feel" back.Hey UT3 graphics look better,not like everyone expected,but are still ok.

The Feel is original UT atmosphere-speed,gun grip,gun power,dark atmosphere,sinister locations,claustrophobic DM maps...

Anyone remember old CTF-LavaGiant or DM-Fortress? Yea,i want the old safe feeling that snipers cover me on my run to the base,the unsafe feeling at the plato right in front of the base and the scare when you get someone's face right in front of you in the dark and narrow corridors of Fortress
                              I remember everyone complaining about the sparkling UT2k3 new maps and guns.

SO,besides all this graphical debates,could anyone write about the ingame atmosphere?Also,did anyone see Xan or the other 3 necris wehicles someone mentioned not being included?
                              Thx,siNBad

Comment

Originally posted by exil3 View Post
                                There def seems to be more just like the retail if u look on the demo in the
                                \Localization\INT\utgame.int there are things that are not in the video setting
                                ;///////////////
                                ; Advanced Video Options
                                ;///////////////

;[FXDetail UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                                ;FriendlyName=FX Detail
                                ;Description=Change the detail of special effects geometry in-game.

;[DecalQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                                ;FriendlyName=Decal Quality
                                ;Description=Change the quality of decals in-game.

;[LightingQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                                ;FriendlyName=Lighting Quality
                                ;Description=Change the quality of lighting in-game.

;[ShadowQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                                ;FriendlyName=Shadow Quality
                                ;Description=Change the quality of shadows in-game.

;[PostProcessQuality UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
                                ;FriendlyName=Post-Process Quality
                                ;Description=Change the quality of post-processing in-game.

these are not there to change. who knows DX10 users might be able to access them, guess we will have to wait and see.

"i know someone already found this in the demo so im not taking any credit for finding it"
                                If you uncomment those lines and the ones in the UTGame.ini, you'll see the options in the advanced settings, but currently they do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X