My (short) review of UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My (short) review of UT3

Played a little of the german version (the same as retail, if you patch it for english menus, except the gibs and blood).
    The first thing that stricked me is the graphics of the game are just a little better then in the demo, with all maxed out. It's very subtle. Imo, Gears of War looks way better. Tested out on the maps that were included in the demo. Judge for yourselves:
    Demo:

Final:

Demo:

Final:

And if thought that Shangrila was full of bloom and hdr, wait until you see the others. Some of them are just to much for my eyes. The high tech theme maps are way too dark and full of hdr and bloom and fog (some of them). And surprise, the graphics options in the menu are identical as in the demo.
    The good side is that some Asian themed maps are clean and good looking. Deck is identical to Deck form UT2k4 (with that sidewalk behind the boxes with quad). It's ok, but i don't like the textures at all. Too dark (not only by illumination, but the textures are all black/gray). Don't like it so much. I've tested only the DM maps for now. As for layout, arhitecture, some are good, some are bad. You will see when you play the game.

And now for the differences between the demo and final version:

-the flak shell (second fire) now has a normal ark, just like in UT2k4. Also the primary fire shards seem to travel a little bit faster. Not too sure about this one though. Later edit: this is not true, sorry for the confusion. Initially i thought it had a lower ark in the final vers, but it's the same, see this:
    Demo flak shell ark:
    http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8430/demobp1.jpg
    Final flak shell ark:
    http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/36/finalvt4.jpg

-there are some ingame net stats, if you press F6 (ping, loss, etc).

-the key for the console has been changed form "~" to "F10". All i can say is WTF.

-when the game is over, you can see other's chat messages on the screen.

-combo from ASMD seems the same, in terms of dmg. Needs more testing.

-death messages are in.

- you cannot remove the quad from a game, without also removing ALL the powerups, like big health AND shieldbelt. All this is done with a mutator called Remove Powerups, that you cannot configure.

-there are low gravity and superspeed mutators, but you cannot configure them.

ALL the rest that were in the demo, are still in the game, so i will not repeat them here, because the list will be too long.

In my verion the textures have a higher resolution than the demo. (And yes, I maxed out both)

Comment

Interesting... The mutators side of things i wouldn't worry too much about really as soon as the community gets their hands on the editor it'll moded to a point everyone will be happy some way or another. Maps can be modded as lots of ppl dont like the "darkness" even tho i personally do because it really does need to be different from the other UTs otherwise its just another upgrade from pervious UTs and that would be boring seeing the same style maps really and there would be no need to change to UT3. But as so many arne't likeing them, someone will do some kind of map-pack im sure, that'll include the default maps but with more or (better) lighting so i wouldn't worry too much about that either really. I like the bloom and HDR because to me it gives UT that next gen look and feel, but think im alone on this also... but be glad u got it dude, i gotta wait awhile yet to play it hope u still like it never the less

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
        In my verion the textures have a higher resolution than the demo. (And yes, I maxed out both)
        Hmmm...that's strange. :| Could post a pic of final version of Shangrila, with some close up with some of the textures? I have a 7900GT, btw.

VACkillers, it's hard to like it... There are so many little things that could have easily be corrected, but they were not. Hope they will add some patches to the PC version. For a console fps it's more then ok, but for a pc fps, not so.

Comment

Why are we losing options and configurability?

Comment

Originally posted by DG25 View Post
            -the flak shell (second fire) now has a normal ark, just like in UT2k4. Also the primary fire shards seem to travel a little bit faster. Not too sure about this one though.
            Hell yea!!!

Comment

DG25 I thought you said you weren't buying or supporting UT3?

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                Would love to see the comparison pics, both far away and close up.

Thanks.

Comment

hmm, the characters definitely have better textures. i think it does look different from the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by DG25 View Post
                    The first thing that stricked me is the graphics of the game are EXACTLY the same as in the demo, with all maxed out. Tested out on the maps that were included in the demo, that i played so much and i would know if there is a difference
                    LOL i said the same thing but people are in denial and dont believe me.
                    but i have to disagree about the secondary fire for the Flak its still shoots over the crosshair

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1013/92774975cj8.jpg

Comment

I'm willing to bet DG25 hasn't even played the full game...

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadRoadkill View Post
                        Why are we losing options and configurability?
                        Simplify.It's apparent everywhere.

Originally posted by btcomm View Post
                        Would love to see the comparison pics, both far away and close up.

Thanks.
                        Seconded as I have my doubts.

Originally posted by exil3 View Post
                        but i have to disagree about the secondary fire for the Flak its still shoots over the crosshair

I believe you.I just do not want to believe you and other comments I've read.

Comment

There are higher textures in the full version dont get me wrong, My game takes longer to load textures even on the maps that are in the demo.

Even the characters look good, but people were expecting the game to look like screens epic supplied. The game is great and the graphics a great i just cant wait to get my upgrades for my computer..

Will i get banned if i post the engine.INI on here... Admin?

Comment

What is your set up and the settings you are using?

Comment

There are higher textures in the full version dont get me wrong, My game takes longer to load textures even on the maps that are in the demo.

Even the characters look good, but people were expecting the game to look like screens epic supplied. The game is great and the graphics a great i just cant wait to get my upgrade my computer..

Will i get banned if i post the engine.INI on here... Admin?

Why would you get banned?

Second, are you saying you know the textures are higher simply because it takes longer to load or do you actually notice a difference somewhere in the game? I know you posted the screen shots of the demo and retail and not one thing looked different.

Comment

Working...
                              X