When do you play offline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I play offline all the time (except for LAN with buddies) As I can play at my own pace, and if I don't feel like a hard match, I can turn down the difficulty for a bit of an easy slug fest.

Just play for the fun of it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I do play offline it is to "test" things. I don't play against bots very often.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Other; I don't.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "I want to play at my own pace."

That fits me more since I don't always have a lot of time to spend playing the game, so going online and finding a good server can take a chunk out of that time, and if I have to leave a game mid-match I don't feel as bad leaving a team in the lurch, or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Reason for not playing online: Other

Mod content (my own and other's) has been the only thing keeping my interest in the UT series. Given how few mods are played online (with a few exceptions) I've never had too much reason to play online.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how many UT3 mods actually make it beyond the concept stage or internal releases given the amount of time & effort necessary to create game quality content.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i play off line when i don't got internet Lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I play offline for that reason also but mainly wen testing new sensi or x-air

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I play offline only when I have a big torrent going.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I usually play off line to test configuration, maps, mutators, settings, etc. Or if I am really bored and I can't find a good server.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    how can they know more then half played offline
    Imo, they have an exact number of the amount of copies shipped, and an exact number of the the keys with them copies that were used online.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [404]Cham3l3on View Post
    I play offline when I am learning a map, testing, etc.
    Same here.

Check the maps and where everything is first, then go online.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    other: the thing I love about bots is a can get strait into it, dont have to wait for sevrers. bots do what you say.. quite simply... Bots do what they are told under game objectives, they dont stuff around. they put up good contest and I can get strait into it.. no need for online play.. never need to give it a try because im happy with bots... well UT1 and UT3 bots... but if bots are like they are in UT2004 with CTF then i guess ill have to wait till UT4 again..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Warning: Online experience may change

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The online community is what turned me off of 2k4. I stopped playing it online a year after release, disgusted with the nonstop vulgarity and infantile posturing. The mic was a disaster, so I disabled that feature. The text message stream became a literally non-stop flood of abuse, so I turned off the messages. So I was isolated entirely from those I played with, and still had the frustrating experience of non-existent teamplay and the occasional person whose only joy was in messing with their team mates and their team's standing.

Why put up with an anonymous population who aren't satisfying team mates or opponents?

Then there's the fact that I love to play mod gametypes, such as Gemfeeder and Slavemaster. These have zero online presence. Where else to play such a game but offline?

Finally, with Mapmixer and Bot Mixer properly configured, why suffer through yet another game on one of the perhaps three maps the online community has anointed as worthy of play?

All in all, when my favorite community died off (Domination!), there was just no reason to keep playing online, to be honest. I have high hopes for UT3, but these aren't issues that a new game can really fix.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I play offline, testing my mod, and play LAN - that way there is some Quality Control over the human players. Occasionally I'll play online but I'm more into variety than playing the same map over and over and over again.

I think the fantasy element is an important point that separates UT from a lot of the other more "realistic/modern day" fps games. I'm glad there is a game where I don't have to choose a current day (or similar) weapon and play in maps based on current day environments - yuck! So from this point of view, the game may lend itself to people getting caught up in their own worlds, with some reasonable AI, and challenging themselves in their own controllable atmosphere, which isn't a replica of today's world....ya gotta love UT!

I get emails from a lot of people that use my mod (mapmixer) to play offline and LAN because it gives them more flexibility and hence more enjoyment (from their perspective) than being stuck to playing a limited number of maps available from online servers. An interesting point is that I've had a lot of people saying that mapmixer has extended the life of the game for them because it introduces a controllable random element and exposes them a lot more to custom user content. This is not always something you get online. (btw, I'm not trying to plug my mod, it just gives me an insight into different types of play.)

I'm not saying offline or LAN play is the best experience for everyone! Online play is the ultimate test because you get to play against a variety of skills but offline play puts the control back in your hands - if that's your thing. Each to his own...Long live UT!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X