When do you play offline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you play offline?

"What we found out to our surprise was how few people played Unreal Tournament 2004 online." Similar statements made by Epic's developers makes me wonder about the direction Unreal Tournament 3 will be heading.

What reason make people ignore the online feature of such a multiplayer-oriented game?

There are obvious reasons of course. Certain people exploit their anonymity to be coarse and vulgar, skilled players frustrate newbies, lag reduces the quality of play, and so on and so forth.

What about other reasons? Unreal has always supported modding and mod communities. There are terabytes of content for each Unreal Tournament game. But then online people only seem to play specific game types. Is this a reason that more than half of the buyers of Unreal Tournament 2004* did not play online?

In interviews, I did not see a developer discuss reasons behind the motivation to stay off line. I have had a suspicion it is because the games' server-browsers' menus pigeon-hole game types and do not focus in on modifications present on any given server. I'm posting this poll to help find out what reasons people do have for not playing online.

Maybe the answers could be worth a patch

If you checked the "other" option, please help and write your reason as to why you play the game offline.

I don't play offline. But I can increase my post count with this now because I ticked Other.

Comment

I play offline when I am learning a map, testing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by [404]Cham3l3on View Post
        I play offline when I am learning a map, testing, etc.
        Same .

Comment

I join in the middle of huge elite matches to learn new maps and watch as everyone flames me for not knowing where I'm going. :P I rarely play offline.

Comment

Other.

I play online.

Comment

Well I could imagine that it's a matter of skill that keeps ppl away from playing online. UT2004 could be very hectic and not everyone is good at playing it so if they still want to have fun they can play against some low level bots and have fun. I myself would only play ofline when I'm testing maps and other things.

Comment

for practice and to learn the maps

Comment

how can they know more then half played offline

Comment

Mostly when servers are empty but also when i want to learn maps better while they're not being played, if I can tho online is more fun

Comment

I play offline a decent amount. It's nice to get away from the drama of everyday life and life on the servers. There I don't have to deal with the high school **** that you see all too often as well as the petty nuisances. Some of the many reasons are as follows:

Cheating, Team killing, Clan whoring, Kicked because I'm too good, Kicked because I'm not good enough. Empty servers, Full servers, Servers, Whiners, Lamers, Flamers, Punks, Drunks, Crunks, Gangster wanna be's, Pro Wanna be's, Wanna be's, A general lack of common #%#$ courtesy in certain players

And lets not forget, Overkill on tons of random **** I have to download just to play one #%#$ map that ends as soon as I finally get to join (rare but it happens)

Other than that playing onlne is sweet and I love it

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatik View Post
                        Cheating, Team killing, Clan whoring, Kicked because I'm too good, Kicked because I'm not good enough. Empty servers, Full servers, Servers, Whiners, Lamers, Flamers, Punks, Drunks, Crunks, Gangster wanna be's, Pro Wanna be's, Wanna be's, A general lack of common #%#$ courtesy in certain players

And lets not forget, Overkill on tons of random **** I have to download just to play one #%#$ map that ends as soon as I finally get to join (rare but it happens)
                        Quoted for truth...

Comment

i never play offline... competing vs human players is what makes ut so interesting
                          offline is imo for training/testing purposes only

Comment

I have never played 2k4 online. At first it was because of inadequate internet connection, but I really settled into playing offline, and I just piled so many custom mutators, maps, player models onto my games, trying to remake UT into whatever game I felt like playing. I wouldn't be able to do that online with a bunch of random players.

I spent a lot of time playing online with the UT3 demo, so maybe my attitude will change for UT3 (haven't played a vanilla game of UT in so long, the weapons feel almost new!), but I'll probably spend at least as much time offline with mods and whatnot as I do online.

Comment

online is where it's at ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X