Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

options to disable "distance fog" and reducing "bloom"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well if we could disable it and not lose all other details that would be a start... even better would be to have a dreaded slider for it so it could be adjusted. but ultimately, confgiable settings on most options is really what we need

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
      Distance fog is an integral part of the engine, and is used to reduce framerates by culling distant objects.
      i don't talking about this far far away(shrek anyone?) distance fog like ut2k4 uses to cull level-geometry to keep the performance up.
      what i mean is the effect that turns textures into grey even in indoor maps where even no fog should be visible.
      disabling DOF in the inis is no option in this state because it turns off all post processing giving the colors a false look and making the game looks like ****.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Cannon View Post
        Please learn reading comprehension

This thread has nothing to do with the UI or Single Player campaign.

Oh yeah you can turn all that stuff off through the ini
        I think he meant that the UI additions/improvements might very well include a more scalable video options menu.

Since you jabronies are already digging around the .ini to manually change graphical settings, I don't think it would take much for them to add those options and more into the UI.

Comment

Just to be clear here, Depth of Field, in no way, culls distance objects or textures. There are other features that do that, such as clipping, mipmap lod bias, etc. Depth of Field really just adds another visual layer that helps you to guage distance, based on the lighting of the map. And as such, it adds yet another special effect that requires attention from the GPU.

Comment

im not sure what this thread is precisely about. essentially im seeing it from a laymans point of view. its blurry.

if i wanted a blurry game, i would adjust my monitor so that it was out of focus

however its not.

my game should not be either. but it is.

Comment

If you don't want it to be blurry, the only thing you need to do is turn off Depth of Field in the UTEngine.ini - all the other features can stay on, but you'll lose that atmoshperic effect in-game.

Comment

I wish you could tone it down some, I like the effect but not enough to be half blind at long range, and it should be toned down a lot underwater, atm you're nearly blind.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                  I wish you could tone it down some, I like the effect but not enough to be half blind at long range, and it should be toned down a lot underwater, atm you're nearly blind.
                  I agree it should be toned down some. I know in City of Heroes you can turn down Bloom, but not Depth of Field, so I wonder how well UT3 could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                    I agree it should be toned down some. I know in City of Heroes you can turn down Bloom, but not Depth of Field, so I wonder how well UT3 could do that.
                    Best thing is to switch off Depth of Field, Bloom and maybe Blur so you'll see more than red and blue spots from 10 meters away. Graphics are nice without those cheap effects as well.

Comment

I think it's a question of resolution in part, I run at 1680x1050 and on that the blur doesn't bother me much (except underwater), I can imagine blurring already low res render is horrible though.

Comment

*bump*
                        still hoping for an option to tone it down...

Comment

Agreed, the bloom and blur feels over done a lot of the time.

Comment

..when your mouse was moved over an object the view was shifted to that depth, move the mouse over a table really close and everything further away got slightly blurry, move it over the horizon and said table was blurred instead, I don't really know how UT3 would implement something similar, since looking at the wrong depth would mean that you might miss a player, and the rapid movement and looking around of UT3 would make you quite dizzy if the view was constantly being blurred/unblurred... ..
                            Unreal Championship 2 used something similiar with sniper aiming. That blurring got me too

Comment

Thats a very poor response, so because the UI is so poor we have to resort to editing text files and finding what do what now even more so now?

In Linux console commands can be quicker but most people prefer the UI, what Windows users are used to right?

Comment

You realize Sys-X is right, and this _is_ a UI issue, correct?

The UI is too simplistic and does not give you the option to disable distance fog and bloom separately - and that is _the_ topic of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X