Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

options to disable "distance fog" and reducing "bloom"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

options to disable "distance fog" and reducing "bloom"!

i can't understand why there must be this "distance fog" over the whole scene??

isn't the level fog enough?
    even in indoor maps the further a wall/texture is away the more it is turning all maps into grey foggy grey foggy foggy stuff.
    furthermore the "bloom" effect has to much power, let us fine tune it.

beside the two(most of the time) annoying effects, the gfx are fantastic but there is too much fog in the scene, it's like u have to look through a-milk-glas.

dont let the milkman always ring twice, give us the option to disable distance fog.
    faithfully, MuL

a pic:
    [shot]http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot00007z3h.jpg[/shot]

*bumpidybump*

Comment

This really is an issue Epic please fix it..........

Comment

I hate it when games give an advantage to players who play on lower settings, even when you have an uber graphics card, it's lame.

This just makes people blend in

epicplzfix.

Comment

Learn to read the sticky's http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584654

Comment

Originally posted by Sys-X View Post
            What does that have to do with the matter under discussion exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Sys-X View Post
              Please learn reading comprehension

This thread has nothing to do with the UI or Single Player campaign.

Oh yeah you can turn all that stuff off through the ini

Comment

Originally posted by X-Cannon View Post
                Please learn reading comprehension

This thread has nothing to do with the UI or Single Player campaign.

Oh yeah you can turn all that stuff off through the ini
                DOH!!

Comment

What you're referring to as 'Level Fog' is what the engine refers to as 'Distance Fog', so I'm not sure what you're getting at, other than the optional 'Volume Fog', which can be turned off. Bloom can also be turned off.

Distance fog is an integral part of the engine, and is used to reduce framerates by culling distant objects. It also adds to the suspention of disbelief, and the atmosphere of the map itself. It's obviously required when playing online, because if some people could turn it off, they would have a clear advantage.

I don't recall anyone complaining about UT2003/4's distance fog, probably because it was a lot better than none at all.

Comment

itll probably be able to turn this option off, and ppl with lower settings can have an advantage ie: fighting underwater

Comment

To turn off distance fog, type "show fog" in the console. Doesn't work online,

Comment

I am not sure that it is "distance fog" like you put it. The effect of the camera focusing on objects and buildings that are closer than father is valid. This happens when the camera focal point is kinda moving while the shot is taken. The slight accumulation of light will be more exact on objects closer to the view plane. It makes things look more realistic when done right.

Look at this photo:

http://www.hermann-uwe.de/files/imag....preview_0.jpg

The flower is in focus. The leaves behind the flower are out of focus.

Comment

Myst 4 had really nice DOF but that wasn't exactly an action game, when your mouse was moved over an object the view was shifted to that depth, move the mouse over a table really close and everything further away got slightly blurry, move it over the horizon and said table was blurred instead, I don't really know how UT3 would implement something similar, since looking at the wrong depth would mean that you might miss a player, and the rapid movement and looking around of UT3 would make you quite dizzy if the view was constantly being blurred/unblurred. That map posted is one of the most gray once in the game, other maps look quite different with the same effects on.

But yes the effect is horrid in some maps and places, while under water you're nearly blind with it (guess the goggles on reaper's head truly does nothing) it's not a good effect imo.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                            Myst 4 had really nice DOF but that wasn't exactly an action game, when your mouse was moved over an object the view was shifted to that depth, move the mouse over a table really close and everything further away got slightly blurry, move it over the horizon and said table was blurred instead, I don't really know how UT3 would implement something similar, since looking at the wrong depth would mean that you might miss a player, and the rapid movement and looking around of UT3 would make you quite dizzy if the view was constantly being blurred/unblurred. That map posted is one of the most gray once in the game, other maps look quite different with the same effects on.

But yes the effect is horrid in some maps and places, while under water you're nearly blind with it (guess the goggles on reaper's head truly does nothing) it's not a good effect imo.
                            Myst 4 did indeed have an amazing and well-implemented Depth of Field effect. UT3 would have a very hard time doing a similar trick, though, since your position is continually moving, and the focal range of every object in sight is always shifting.

I think when mappers learn the new engine, we'll be seeing better use of this sort of feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                              Myst 4 did indeed have an amazing and well-implemented Depth of Field effect. UT3 would have a very hard time doing a similar trick, though, since your position is continually moving, and the focal range of every object in sight is always shifting.

I think when mappers learn the new engine, we'll be seeing better use of this sort of feature.
                              I suppose you may be correct. If a lot of people do not understand the effect, then perhaps it isn't good enough to be believeable.

Comment

Working...
                              X