Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be a mutator to turn the lights back on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be a mutator to turn the lights back on?

All the screenshots of DM maps look like someone at Liandri forgot to pay the electricity company.

Deck looks like Doom 3 all over again, except with only 20% of the framerate.

Is it a performance thing? - More lights = less fps or what?

Someone enlighten me!

I think it was purposely designed that way.

Comment

From what I saw in the Deck screenshots, saying it looks like doom3 is doing doom3 a disservice. I really don't like that 'busy' floor texture and lack of contrast between walls/floors/objects (all a shade of grey/brown from what I can see)...

ah well it's always been about the gameplay and we know the demo had that in spades (in DM at least) but it does seem the maps have all be toned down and made serious inline with Gears style... which is slightly dissapointing for someone who has followed the series since the first unreal and always like that quirky 'unreal' edge it had... now it looks far more generic...

don't flame me, i'll reserve proper judgement until I seem them for real could just be bad screenshots, after all I though Shangri-La was pretty nice and played well but then maybe that was the best looking DM map they had?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
        after all I though Shangri-La was pretty nice and played well but then maybe that was the best looking DM map they had?
        Ye gods I hope not - it looked OK after you turned the bloom/blur/beervision **** off but it was nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by tlc View Post
          Ye gods I hope not - it looked OK after you turned the bloom/blur/beervision **** off but it was nothing special.
          maybe, but it may be the best they have... I've seen some nice shots eleswhere of that floating map looked quite nice but nothing as 'pretty' as shangri-la which I agree wasn't mindblowing... my point was I don't think they are going for 'awesome graphic's' this time and are concentrating on the gameplay which is better than the other way I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
            Hey, Sharpfish! I thought your name looked familiar. I remember playing(and thoroughly) enjoying ) your BR-FestiveRidge maps and a few others. You gonna be cranking out some UT3 maps?

Comment

Turn brightness and gamma up a bit, then shout out "FIX'D"

Comment

All the screenshots of DM maps look like someone at Liandri forgot to pay the electricity company.

I think they wanted to keep a very creepy look to the maps... Anyway, I THINK that if you turn of some effects you can have brighter environments... Exemple: In Beta Demo my game is really bright, while I see some people posting very dark screenshots of the same place. I have none of those bloom effects or so turned on because my video card is kinda old. While trying to change some settings I could enable those effects for a while, and the game became a lot darker, so if you turn off this effects I'm wuite sure you'll get brighter maps...

Someone enlighten me!
                Pointing a flashlight at you, lol

Comment

mutator to replace targeted lighting with ambient lighting?

Comment

I can talk about that...

It's because the unreal engine III sucks when it comes to lighting and shadowing on static meshes. It seems that static meshes can't receive shadows from other objects and most complex buildings/structures are lit unrealistically with some sort of fuzzy light coming from everywhere. In some rare instances (suspense) there seem to be some actual directional shadows but it seems that these are just lightmaps baked in the mesh texture. And they are probably too taxing to use since they are used so rarely through the levels.

Unlike player and vehicle models which are awesomely lit/normal mapped/shadowed, all the levels look flat and unlit (for a reason that I can't explain because most modern game engines have no problem lighting levels dynamically).
                    It is something that I've been ranting about for more than one year , since the first non-doctored screens had been released, because engine lighting is one of my little obsessions and I carefully scrutinize every engine shot that I can put my hands on.
                    Maybe it would have been too much to handle for the engine, I don't know. But the final result is that the UT3 levels look even more flat and unrealistic than the Unreal1/UT99 levels. Which is some sort of an achievement in itself.

Here is a good example to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Look at the lighting on the structure in the center of the view.
                    [shot]http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2007/11/ut_3_unreal_tournament_deutsch_526.jpg[/shot]
                    They seem to have baked in the texture a generic but unrealistic shadowing in order to be able to place the meshe anywhere on the map without having shadow clash. It's actually shameful to release such a hyped engine with such a crappy lighting model

Comment

Huh. I though this was a thread complaining about the lack of headlights on vehicles. Instead, it's a thread complaining about every other light in the game.

Comment

He has a point though.We shouldn't have to adjust our monitors per map.Why must everything be is shades of grey and brown? How about some clean maps with vibrant colors and a good contrast level?

Comment

Someone enlighten me!
                          yep, more light sources =more stress on hardware.

Comment

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6461/88173844ex9.jpg

those screens look like that doom3 shot from multiplayer map reactor.

Comment

Working...
                            X