Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very important question for people who have the full game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very important question for people who have the full game...

A question directed to the people who have the full game. Does it come with any kind of DRM, like starforce or securom or anything like that? Or is it just like UT2004, no drm on the disc but you need a valid cd key from an official database (pirated key will not work) to play online?

strange post... but i wouldn't think a quality developer like epic would ever use starforce as it damages your hardware over time.

Comment

There are many valid reasons to be concerned. It was in Bioshock and it has been included in many games published my midway as well.

Please, do NOT bring this thread off topic and someone try and get me the answer asap because I think the thread will be closed

Comment

what security exactly did bioshock have? i dont own it so...

Comment

securom:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

Comment

Very interesting question, one which could change my decision to buy this game.

Yes, I'm in Germany, and I haven't bought it yet.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the original release of UT2004 had copy protection (securom?) on the disc, and then it was removed in a patch.

Comment

No it didn't. All it had was that it originally required the play disc to be in the drive for you to play it. This was defeated by nocd cracks and later removed in the first patch.

Comment

Ah ok.. well CD check is still a form of copy-protection I guess.

Comment

I don't care about a CD check. I care about active drm software like starforce and securom. Cmon, I know a number of people here have the game, can't you tell if it has it or not?

Comment

I'm really eager to get an answer on this as well.

If it uses SecuRom then there will probably be a hidden folder in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data named SecuRom.

(Application Data is also by default a hidden folder)

If you have or had any other games that use this S@#! then it wont tell you much as SecuRom will not uninstall without a great deal of user effort.

[for Xp, Vista uses a different folder structure I think]

Some background :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

Comment

***bump***

Comment

Like bioshock you mean?

I would most certainly hope not because then it would go from a 'wait and see' to a 'definite no' regarding purchase. Mind you the lmited install BS on BS was worse for me personally because whoever thought that hairbrained scheme up didn't figure on what would happen if every game started doing it when it came time to reinstall windows (imagine uninstalling all that software just to get a credit back rather then just wiping the drive/reimaging).

Comment

If they have starforce or securom in UT 3 then I won't buy it.

Comment

Don't know what kind of protection there is if there's any but if you create an online account you can start the game without having the dvd in your disc drive.
                              If you don't have an account you always have to enter your cd-key (!) when starting the game and of course you need the dvd then.

Comment

Working...
                              X