Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many computers can I install one copy of this game on?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How many computers can I install one copy of this game on?

    The question is in the title. I'm asking this because I recently bought a game that had a serial code which would only work once, and I want to ensure that I'd be able to install multiple copies of this game using the same serial key before I buy the game.

    #2
    It's my understanding that only one copy of each CD-key is to exist at any given time. Therefore, if you want to sell or install on a different computer, you have to uninstall it from the first one.

    Comment


      #3
      Are you sure? Main reason I'm asking is because this most certainly wasn't the case with UT2004, so I just want to check.

      Comment


        #4
        You can install on multiple computers with the same serial key. The computers just wouldn't be able to play online at the same time.

        Comment


          #5
          Actually, none of us know.

          I read that UT3 requires a cdkey to be on the PC, but uses the account for authorization. Can anyone confirm this?

          Comment


            #6
            yea, i put my ut2k4 on multi coms at home for making sure that maps work without specual packet (i try not to use none myleveled custom content)

            Comment


              #7
              More accurately, it's 1 IP per CD-key I believe, so np if you install it on 20 LAN computers.

              Comment


                #8
                It's a good question.

                Can you play on your home LAN with/against your girlfriend (or sibling/child/parent)?

                Edit:
                @GG-Xtreme
                I saw your post only after I typed mine. Are you sure about this?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Modders like me would need to be able to install it on more than one PC - not for playing online but testing network related code, as I'm not able to buy two or more versions of the game simply to test that my mod works ok in a network situation.

                  Experienced modders know that network code needs to be included in design from the word go and cannot be easily added to something that works on one pc. Epic obviously knows this, so I can't see them stopping you from installing it on more than one PC but yeah GG-Xtreme has the answer as far as online play goes.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I think it's logical that:
                    a) you can install it on multiple computers (otherwise the CD key should have to be bound to your mac code of your pc)
                    b) as though you can install it on multiple computers, you won't be able to play it in network (lan) or online with the same cd key. Would be too easy to crack.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by iycgtptyarvg View Post
                      It's a good question.

                      Can you play on your home LAN with/against your girlfriend (or sibling/child/parent)?

                      Edit:
                      @GG-Xtreme
                      I saw your post only after I typed mine. Are you sure about this?
                      Your keys won't get checked on LAN play*ZOMG600THPOST*.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by sinx View Post
                        Modders like me would need to be able to install it on more than one PC - not for playing online but testing network related code, as I'm not able to buy two or more versions of the game simply to test that my mod works ok in a network situation.

                        Experienced modders know that network code needs to be included in design from the word go and cannot be easily added to something that works on one pc. Epic obviously knows this, so I can't see them stopping you from installing it on more than one PC but yeah GG-Xtreme has the answer as far as online play goes.
                        agreed.

                        b) as though you can install it on multiple computers, you won't be able to play it in network (lan) or online with the same cd key. Would be too easy to crack.
                        if they were smart they already know it'll be cracked so they'll just allow it anyway. not online play but lan. nobody is going to pay for 15+ licenses just to host the game on a lan. The main reason tho is the netcode testing that sinx spoke about.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by fraksken View Post
                          b) as though you can install it on multiple computers, you won't be able to play it in network (lan) or online with the same cd key. Would be too easy to crack.
                          Actually, I'm 99% sure you can play on LAN with the same CD-Key.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            GAH
                            me and my brother play online!!!!!!1 I don't want do be forced to purchase 2 copies just for us to play together

                            2 players per key would be nice (like 2004!)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by BlackOmega View Post
                              GAH
                              me and my brother play online!!!!!!1 I don't want do be forced to purchase 2 copies just for us to play together

                              2 players per key would be nice (like 2004!)
                              If you behind the same router (if you have the same IP) then you can. It was the same thing in UT2004.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X