So, this is why the UI lacks so many options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, this is why the UI lacks so many options

they've lavished so much love on the game that they've cut down the in-game options to decrease the visual details, to prevent players from just switching everything off in the pursuit of performance. Nevertheless, Rein expects determined players to find a way around any obstacles that Epic has left in their way.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/834/834098p1.html

Dear Mark,

You’re completely misguided in thinking that everyone who wants to turn off HDR bloom or fake depth of field effects are doing so because they want more performance. Some, just don’t find the effects that amazing, at least not in the context in which they’re implemented in UT3. Thanks for letting us get around your obstacles though.

p.s. I am a paying customer.

There is no HDR in the DEMO. HDR is not BLOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
      Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe bloom is in fact a type of HDR.

Comment

No need to shout.

I agree with the original poster that there is something wrong with specifically not allowing players to reduce options in order to force the visuals on them (and force the choppiness on them). Epic may think they are forcing the game to be BETTER for them, but if an intelligent human being specifically sets out to do something, it's to IMPROVE his personal experience, not worsen it. Like me: I play with World Detail=LOW, even though I'm on a dual-core AMD X2 with a 7900 GTS (playing at 1280x1024), because to me, it looks a lot more realistic (and a lot better overall) with all the post-processing turned off.

Comment

Or that DOF that makes the game look fuzzy. First time i played UT3 I tried adjusting my monitor cus I thought it was messing up.

Comment

No.

Sounds like either complete bull**** or one of IGN's favourite Misquote Time festivals they to throw in now and then. Sure, prevent players from tweaking their game by hiding vital options in the game ini's so the folk that are more likely to do this in the first place will still do it.

On topic, maybe he meant more along the lines of how you could turn off foliage in UT2004, per se... Which still makes little sense with how much more visibility and stuff you gain by turning things down to 1 from the frigging Menu.

Comment

Bloom (sometimes referred to as light bloom) is a computer graphics effect used in computer games and high dynamic range rendering (HDR) to reproduce an imaging artifact of real-world cameras. The effect produces fringes (or feathers) of light around very bright objects in an image.

Bloom is just another shader effect in UT3, you're correct that there isn't true HDR at work in UT3, I wish there were.

Bloom lighting is now sometimes considered overused and clichéd, reminiscent of the overusage of lens flare effects in early 3D-accelerated computer games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dario D. View Post
                No need to shout.
                There is a need to shout, many people think that HDR is Bloom and are hence criticising it. It isn't! In layman's terms Bloom is a glowing aura around lights and bright surfaces where HDR is High Dynamic Range, an image processing technique used to enhance the colors of bright or dark pixels which when implemented correctly make images seem more realistic. There is a vast difference between the two, how they look and how they perform and the techniques used to implement them!

EDIT: Sorry Dangerdog you posted as I was trying to simplify a response to this. I,m definitely with you on this, the final release of this game should have HDR implemented, it's a must!

Comment

The unreal 3 engine certainly is very good but I doubt even two years from now that 1/10 of pc gamers will have computers capable of running the game flat out at high resolutions with full detailling and effects as per the developers rigs.

The wow factor is absolutely important for catching a persons interest. Thats why I and many others played ut99 relentlessly for years but for that percentage of players who get into clan games/competitive gaming/playing at a high level then it doesnt matter how beautiful the game displays the players mind becomes absolutely focussed on the other players,the pick ups,radar map, text, vehicles and flags etc.

The texturing and look of the game fades in importance and if it doesnt because the mind is still trying to process the difference between players and background at medium to long range then players get frustrated.Thats one of the reasons why some people did not like ut2003/4.

In a fps I want to play the game not admire the scenery.

Comment

Realistic, bloom, HDR, cute, wow ...? What about this?
                    [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/ut3crap1.jpg[/shot][shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/ut3crap2.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Maybe it is murky water?

Comment

Benfica, those are just other effects available in the engine. On the right you have a heavy motion blur, on the left a custom effect that looks like it masks the players view with a texture and colour gradient... Quite simple really if I managed to get it right.

I think there are separate options in the ini's to enable/disable them. Check the article at www.tweakguides.com for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                          Benfica, those are just other effects available in the engine. On the right you have a heavy motion blur, on the left a custom effect that looks like it masks the players view with a texture and colour gradient... Quite simple really if I managed to get it right.

I think there are separate options in the ini's to enable/disable them. Check the article at www.tweakguides.com for more info.
                          Sure, but I posted because those 2 are just lame! That red flashing **** starts to get on my nerves, and the 2nd effect goes away if you set world detail to 1:
                          [shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/ut3crap2.jpg[/shot][shot]http://turtlegt.planetaclix.pt/ut3/ut3waterdetail1.jpg[/shot]

Epic, please create an alternative for this. For the 1st, an effect that doesn't induce fatigue but doesn't give competitive advantage either.
                          For the 2nd, reduce the advantage that world detail 1 gives. Or everybody will play at 1. It's even worse because it reduces fps (54 vs 42)

Comment

In project management terms, if it appears a a deadline won't be met either you a) add resources to help get it done in time or b) don't do one or more of the tasks.

Comment

Yeah, I also hope the depth of field stuff can be turned off separately in the full. What bothers me most: Now that the underwater view defaults to this murky ****, a remake of maps like AS-OceanFloor will be hands down impossible. Too bad, the underwater fights made a nice difference to the rest of the game... Hmm, but maybe they'll reintroduce the scuba gear and it clears the view, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X