Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP x64 + VirtualPC running Vista = DX10 under XP???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    XP x64 + VirtualPC running Vista = DX10 under XP???

    Yeah... so I'm starting to give up hope that the falling leaf project is going to actually succeed with DX10 on XP... so I've been considering other options.

    If I were to run something like MS VirtualPC on XP x64, and then run Vista Ultimate 64 on the vitrual PC, would I be able to run DX 10 on it and DX10 games?

    This is about the best idea I've come up with thus far...

    #2
    Ahaha, the performance doing that would be terrilble. WINE or something similar would be your best bet, which redirects Direct 3D calls to OpenGL. Even then, WINE is terrible at newer games, and takes quite a while to get fully working, and even longer to get comparable performance.

    As for a direct port, it's never going to happen. DX is tied into the operating system and Vista uses a drastically different driver architecture than XP, so there's really no way of getting any form of D3D10 to run on XP.

    The most likely (And it's still not all that likely) thing is if more developers switched to OpenGL. OGL will allow full D3D10-class features to be accessed in any OS, including XP, with no performance hit. The downside is that very few games are released anymore that use it. Quake Wars does though, and UT3 does have an OGL path (Used on Linux, PS3 and Mac), but AFAIK it's inaccessible on PC.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by martinblank View Post
      If I were to run something like MS VirtualPC on XP x64, and then run Vista Ultimate 64 on the vitrual PC, would I be able to run DX 10 on it and DX10 games?
      I'm not aware of any virtualization software that supports 3D acceleration. So, performance hit aside, you simply couldn't even start the game.

      Why do you want to force DX10 in the first place though? There are still a lot more customers using XP than there are those using Vista. Consequently it'll take quite a while before games will drop DX9 support.

      Comment


        #4
        Look up a crysis hack for unlocking max settings...I'd wait to see how DirectX 10 turns out.

        Comment


          #5
          I did some research, VMware already has experimental support for D3D and they are working on full support so there does seem to be hope!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
            WINE or something similar would be your best bet, which redirects Direct 3D calls to OpenGL. Even then, WINE is terrible at newer games, and takes quite a while to get fully working, and even longer to get comparable performance.
            Sh¡t, Wine is terrible at 14-year old games (specifically, the oldest game I've tried is X-Wing; can't even see enemy ships, you have to rely solely on radar -_-).

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by martinblank View Post
              Yeah... so I'm starting to give up hope that the falling leaf project is going to actually succeed with DX10 on XP... so I've been considering other options.

              If I were to run something like MS VirtualPC on XP x64, and then run Vista Ultimate 64 on the vitrual PC, would I be able to run DX 10 on it and DX10 games?

              This is about the best idea I've come up with thus far...
              wouldn't it be better just to dual boot?

              Comment


                #8
                I may end up having to do that but it will be a PITA :/

                Comment


                  #9
                  yep, just dual port your system 1 your d3d os and the other dx10. I did that and honestly, there's not much of a difference between 9 and 10 in the demo..

                  not worth the headache imho.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    dual boot would be the best way to go, but yeah, check out the crysis high settings hack lol, it basicly unlocks ALL the features in the DX10 version for XP, which is practiclly IDENTICLE to DX10. gamespot.com did a graphics compare. Not all DX10 games im sure will be able to get unlocked for the higher settings but im sure quite a lot might be because the game will have to be written in both DX9 and DX10 for sales success which might suggest its just a simple code hack to unlock the higher settings in the game options.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      DX9 is pointless... The graphical difference is barely noticeable while the performance drops ARE noticeable !

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by VACkillers View Post
                        dual boot would be the best way to go, but yeah, check out the crysis high settings hack lol, it basicly unlocks ALL the features in the DX10 version for XP
                        As for dual boot - yep, that's the only way! Btw the VM is slow like hell, I doubt it will run even UT99 (didn't try it with Windows though, I run only DOS on it to play old games under XP).

                        As for DX10. First, you need a DX10-compatible card. Then, Crysis demo actually uses no DX10 features, so apparently setting those vars manually gives the same effect as just running it on DX10 and it runs well on my x1900xt which's no way a DX10 card.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X