No announcement yet.

Race will kill Warfare mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you claim that Warfare will be 'killed' when it's not even 'alive' yet?

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
      How can you claim that Warfare will be 'killed' when it's not even 'alive' yet?
      Note the thread name: " Race will kill Warfare mode?"

I put a question mark, because I knew someone would say the obvious.

Originally posted by SEPHIROTH View Post
      <---- as quoted before "the man who killed assault with race maps"

The thing with race and trails maps on UT2004 is that players WANT to play them i ran 5 servers
      2 Race that were full for weeks on end
      1 trails server....once again always full
      1 RPG Inv server
      1 normal assault server DEAD

Now if i could arsed to search the server stats up you will find that the race server was always been played on....
      Reasons are
      The maps were ****! they were just black skyboxs with the OMFG and a track layout nothing fancy at all.
      They were fast a good team could do a map on 3 mins and a bad team would take 20 mins, it was always about speed!
      They were not graphic heavy so players with **** PC's could have a good game on them
      Only took a few players to have a good game

Reasons why Assault Server never worked
      Power hungry maps for poor performance PC's
      Needed a full team for it to be balanced
      Not many server admins hosted the maps because it was not properly

Now onto UT3....
      in away i do hope they make Race maps but not on warfare if someone makes a quick mod so that race maps do mix in with warfare i will be very happy!

As for myself i will NOT be hosting any race servers in UT3

unreal-race-land is dead hopefully unreal-warfare will live
      The maps were huge, just big wide open areas and filled with vehicles, making fps worse than it would be on official maps, which were optimised for performance. For example, all but one of the official Assault maps had 1 or no vehicles. Mothership was the only one full of them during the entrance objectives. People played Race because it was easy and filled with overpowered weapons/vehicles so they could lame their way to the top of the socreboard.

Comment

Originally posted by -Sephiroth- View Post
        People played Race because it was easy and filled with overpowered weapons/vehicles so they could lame their way to the top of the socreboard.
        I disagree there - I believe people played/play Race and Trials maps because they enjoy those particular modes of gameplay
        Assault wasn't killed because these maps hijacked its maplist (_EVERY_ race and trials map has RACE or TRIAL built into its name, with very, very few exceptions)
        To a certain extent, Race and Trial maps killed most gametypes except for TAM. Unreal.ie used to host 5 UT2004 public servers. 2 general play servers, 1 TAM, 1 Trials/Jumpy and 1 AlienSwarm.

The 2 general play servers were completely empty about 90% of the time, the AlienSwarm server was full every night of the week, the TAM server was full every night of the week, and the Jumpy server was full for about 16 out of every 24 hours per day.

I'm not making those statistics up - they're the flat truth. TAM, Jumpy and AlienSwarm were all over-popular gametypes.
        That is the reason other gametypes dwindled. Players found something else that they enjoyed more.

Originally posted by SEPHIROTH View Post
        As for myself i will NOT be hosting any race servers in UT3
        If I could source another machine for Unreal.IE's server room, I'd be more than happy to host a Race/Jumpy server. I thoroughly enjoyed the gametype in 2K4, and I look forward to seeing what the devs come up with in the new UT3 physics environment.

Comment

There's really no logic here. Race might've conquered the AS scene, but it never took away players from ONS. Why would it take players away from WAR if it is there to tend to the needs of the ONS community aswell? I think the AS and therefore race elements will be overshadowed by the ONS side of things.

Just because Race killed AS doesn't mean it will kill the ONS side of WAR.

Comment

/me nods in agreement

Players will play what they want to play. Stop panicking

Comment

Originally posted by -Sephiroth- View Post
              The maps were huge, just big wide open areas and filled with vehicles, making fps worse than it would be on official maps, which were optimised for performance.
              huge, wide-open areas are very easy for computers to render.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosh View Post
                Just because Race killed AS doesn't mean it will kill the ONS side of WAR.
                I think the argument was/is:

- Race used the AS gametype and showed up as AS maps.
                - There was a short but heavy hype about race maps since they were new and easily accessible. During that phase many many servers switched from AS maps to Race maps.
                - Many people that wanted to play AS didn't find servers anymore. Eventually they gave up on the gametype or gave up on UT2k4 completely and went back to UT99 to play AS there.
                - When the hype about Race maps faded, it had won a community that enjoyed those maps, but at the cost of AS. When servers that ran AS afterwards didn't get used right away (because the AS community didn't even expect AS servers to exist), they reverted back to Race after a short while.

Will the same happen to WAR? Perhaps. Likely? As long as WAR is accessible for new players and as long as the old ONS'ers like it, I doubt Race or any similar thing can take over the majority of the servers and then slowly dry out the community.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
                  huge, wide-open areas are very easy for computers to render.
                  "Filled with vehicles" >.>

I got better fps on normal Assault, I've had this pile of tash for 4 years now, so I do know :P

Comment

Working...
                  X