No announcement yet.

The $500 Gaming PC Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent about 550 on my rig...And that was with new everything in the box.

x1950 Pro 512 MB
    AMD 64 Xs 5200 @ 2.6ghz duel core
    2GB Ram with heat spreaders
    550W cooler master PS
    Cooler Master Centurian Case
    250GB HDD
    Some Mobo...can't remember which one...lol

Either way. Crysis Demo? Ran just peachy
    UT3 demo? Maxed everything I could and still was smooth as butter.
    Sup Com? Yet to have a slow down even in HUGE battles.

So yea, no need to spend mega bucks.

Oh, and AMD for life. Simply CANNOT beat the bang for the buck in my experiance.

Comment

Originally posted by theeDEATHMASTER View Post
      Another thing is that the article is for upgrades, not building one from scratch which would include a decent case, psu, HDD. Probably bring it to about $700 at least.
      A minimal upgrade may be the way to go for many. A cpu upgrade on a AMD system may be enough to enhance play until the next generation quad core chips are out 2nd half next year. As for myself, I went for the CPU plus memory upgrade for now. Socket 939 3700+ single core OCed at 2.6GHz to a Opteron 180 OCed to 2.6 GHz and cheap value ram to G.Skill @ DDR 415. That made my system run pretty good for now.
      AM2 systems have much better options. A minimal upgrade really makes sense. But do not fool yourself, Intel is king right now. If your going to buy a new motherboard plus CPU, you would be a fool to buy AMD. If you are buying a new motherboard and cpu, The E6750 intel is the one to get to OC. Just look at the benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/...ad/page24.html

That is a very impressive number, >20% faster than any AMD chip. Read the whole review. Use your brain, cold and calculating as it should be.

Never be a fan of any company. You owe them nothing, it is they who owe you. You don't play UT showing mercy and favorites letting yourself get fragged, so when it comes to your wallet, you should not as well. Use your brain, show no mercy as you will never see any yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by xi0s View Post
        Nice article, they did leave out the fact most people DO and need to upgrade their PSU and possibly their hard drives as well, all depending on how old they are, are something that goes hand in hand with newer power hungry components and newer formats like SATA.
        That's very true- I'm looking at buying a 500GB hard drive and a new PSU before I splurge on my new 8800GT.

Comment

Originally posted by tqz View Post
          If you were referring to me then know that my last 2 CPUs were AMD and I would have bought an AMD CPU this time as well if their CPUs were any match to Intel's. Even considered waiting for Phenoms but all signs indicate they will still be slower that Intel CPUs. I would really like to see Intel have some good competition but looks like it won't happen any time soon.
          Sorry. I was referring to the global, plural "you" for all Intel current Intel fans

Yep. I'm waiting for the Phenom, too. But I stay behind the price curve enough on upgrading (even though I upgrade every year) that I'm not in any hurry.

Comment

I've got an old socket 939 mobo with an Athlon 54 X2 3800. I was thinking about getting a better processor. I don't want to have to replace the mobo, does anyone know where I can still get a better socket 939 processor for a decent price?

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadRoadkill View Post
              I've got an old socket 939 mobo with an Athlon 54 X2 3800. I was thinking about getting a better processor. I don't want to have to replace the mobo, does anyone know where I can still get a better socket 939 processor for a decent price?
              www.ebay.com

Comment

Which would be more worth the money: a 4800 for $200, a 4400 for $130, or a 4200 for $70?

Comment

It's not worth upgrading to any of those from a 3800.

Comment

Why not? - If he's looking for a cheap fix, it would worth the upgrade for a socket 939 cpu.

The 4400+ was recently sold on eBay for about $79.00 and that's not a bad deal, considering it is dual core.

If you are suggesting to him that it's better to just upgrade to a new cpu then consider that he mentioned that he will be keeping his current mobo.

So in his situation, it might be worth it if he's low on cash...If not, then upgrade after Jan '08 ^_-

Comment

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll wait to buy another CPU until I'm ready to build my next system.

EDIT: or not...

weasel: I'm not loaded right now, but I guess I'm kind of worried about the supply of socket 939 CPUs dwindling and the prices going up. I want to snag the best deal I can.

Comment

Another thing is that the article is for upgrades, not building one from scratch which would include a decent case, psu, HDD. Probably bring it to about $700 at least.
                        Yes and I was saying that sometimes upgrades are dictated by your current parts and the ones you are trying to add, as newer formats come out, you begin to have compatibility issues and have to upgrade more than just the basic addons.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedweasel View Post
                          low on cash...If not, then upgrade after Jan '08 ^_-
                          I'd keep the cpu until you get more cash for a different system. Unless you can find a dead on bargain and are really that desperate.

Comment

Newegg has socket 939 Opteron 175 (2.2GHz), 180 (2.4GHz), and 185 (2.6GHz) dual core chips. These all have 2X1MB cache. I bought the 180 for $169, the 185 was much more expensive. These are your only choice as far as new socket 939 chips as AMD has abandoned the platform.

I was able to OC it to 2.6GHz with the following settings;
                            clock 250 with multiplier x10.5 -> 2.625GHz
                            HT mult x4 ->2000MHz
                            mem at DDR333 -> DDR415 using G.Skill DDR400
                            I could not get any OC using value ram on my Epox NF4 ultra MB, had to buy the G.Skill.

I run UT3 demo at 1600x1200 with 3-3 world and texture settings, very rarely does it go below 40 fps anywhere. I have a 7900 GTX with 512MB. I am now good until spring '09 when I plan to move to a new motherboard, cpu, vid card, and memory setup after I see the new generation quad cores from AMD and Intel.

Comment

Socket 939 Opterons are better deals

Which would be more worth the money: a 4800 for $200, a 4400 for $130, or a 4200 for $70?
                              The 4400+ is way overprices, it's clocked at only 2.2GHz, new socket 939 Opterons are much better deals.

Comment

Working...
                              X