Breakable Levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakable Levels?

Somewhere lonnnnnnnnnnng time ago I heard you cld destroy the levels? Is this still going to happen? I thought it wasn't...

It's not, that was a physics demo made by Ageia, it's not feasible to do that kind of stuff online since it would hurt gameplay and it's problematic since if one guy lacks the PhysX card what would happen on his end? Huge FPS drop or make the pieces vanish? And the PhysX card isn't common yet, since it's actual effect on ingame physics isn't well documented at all.

Comment

This feature would seriously destroy online gaming ... though I love to have a reality feeling. Its better to have it in singleplayer games ... it just doesnt fit really into online gaming.

Think yourself: playing Capture the Flag, and you just break down the walls in front of it, so the enemy team isnt capable of getting the flag ... before it has to destroy the bricks to even touch the flag =)
      Or put some chairs together and see what happens ... dunno which game, but that was fun.

Comment

This also excists in cs maps, and it works great with the rounds because after every round it gets resetted. For example a vent you can only go through if you destroy it, but the enemy can hear you destroying it. And it would also work in UT in multiplayer if the gametypes would work with rounds... maybe something for TAM?

Comment

kinds seems like it would mess with the fell of UT. Personally I don't take cover much behind anything that could be destroyed

Comment

Originally posted by BuFFY View Post
            This feature would seriously destroy online gaming ... though I love to have a reality feeling. Its better to have it in singleplayer games ... it just doesnt fit really into online gaming.

Think yourself: playing Capture the Flag, and you just break down the walls in front of it, so the enemy team isnt capable of getting the flag ... before it has to destroy the bricks to even touch the flag =)
            Or put some chairs together and see what happens ... dunno which game, but that was fun.
            Sorry, can't agree with you here.
            You may have heard of "red faction" launched somewhere 2001. It had the GEO mod, which made it possible to blow up walls and all. It also had DM, TDM, CTF, and it was loads of fun to blast your way trough the walls. No lack of gameplay there

Comment

not really suitable for UT imo. Great fun in other games though!

Comment

fraksken: that makes for a much too chaotic feel to the game, and breakable terrain is nice and all, but you can't make a solid wall of rock into swiss cheese without having the same amount of rock taken out of the wall strewn all over the place, and if you're close to the explosion when it happens you'd be blasted by rock fragments, the entire notion of having a rocket launcher and play lemmings is preposterous.

Comment

funny how you mention "too chaotic"
                  Imho, UT is about chaos. (see the GOTY edition of UT1, lots of chaos maps and mods)
                  DM is about chaos. otherwise it wouldn't be fun

Comment

I think it would be great and as the person above me says it adds to the chaos and UT is all about chaos ... now maybe it could be a mutator like Excessive Weapons. I know that is what I really liked about Stranglehold and why I played the game a couple of times to completion and played certain levels 5 or 6 times. I'm still angry I traded it in for Conan ... darn it! But anyway more chaos is always better in Unreal Tournament imho you just have to get used to it.

Comment

This was only seen on a DELL convention, so every 1 could see the first laptops with Ageia. Those where exclusive maps for for DELL, but they wont be on the real game

Comment

I hope someone releases the Ageia demo maps, it would be fun to mess around with after someone removed the hardware requirement - that is if there is one in the first place.

No reason what so ever that a quad core cpu couldn't perform the physics calcs just fine in single player.

Comment

it would be very exciting. i like games where you can destroy walls and even houses. i want to play this game.

Comment

will make for a very realistic military fps in the future for sure

Comment

red faction did this. I thought it was a lot of fun

Comment

Working...
                              X