Is normal CTF going to be in UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is normal CTF going to be in UT3?

To tell the truth, after playing the demo, I hate vCTF. I didn't see normal CTF though, so is it going to be in the real game?

No, it's not in the demo. Yes it will be in the real game.

Comment

edited for mistake :P

Comment

Yes, but it will ship with only 6 maps. (as will vCTF; there's 12 maps between 'm IIRC)
        Better hope they're good ones.

Comment

CTF should support vCTF maps imo. Just load the vCTF in CTF and it will remove all vehicles and extras of that particular vCTF map. This is not hard to make for Epic and this way we can support maps for both purposes, maps that work quite well in both vCTF and CTF will excist. It saves megs on servers, clients, download time and mapload time.

In UT2k4 there was a mutator that allowed you to play CTF in BR maps, the mutator replaced the goals with flags and just removes the ball, and changes some other things that comes with CTF. Worked really efficient, especially for the big maps.

If someone from Epic reads this, propose this to the team! Being able to use vCTF maps for CTF. Maybe for a patch on UT3 or for a future UT game.

Comment

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" [...] I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

And I can't comprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke this question.. how could Epic possibly release a UT FPS game without CTF

Comment

No, vCTF and CTF should remain seperate gametypes completely. Why? The CTF maps would hardly get played because they don't have any 'fun' cars in them...

Comment

Originally posted by Simeon View Post
                "On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" [...] I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

And I can't comprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke this question.. how could Epic possibly release a UT FPS game without CTF
                For someone who's not following all the UT news, just looking at the demo would create that suspicion. I guess his line of thinking(close to mine) was 'How could Epic possible release a UT FPS game demo without CTF?'. And reasoned that maybe the reason was that it was not there in the retail version either.

Comment

Originally posted by coldplasmid View Post
                  No, vCTF and CTF should remain seperate gametypes completely. Why? The CTF maps would hardly get played because they don't have any 'fun' cars in them...
                  You dont know what I mean?
                  Yes they should be seperate gametypes, but for the reasons I mentioned it should be possible to load vCTF maps in CTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Taboen View Post

You dont know what I mean?
                    Yes they should be seperate gametypes, but for the reasons I mentioned it should be possible to load vCTF maps in CTF.

CTF and VCTF maps are different in size. loading vehicles on a normal CTF map isn't going to work out that great because those maps aren't set-up for vehicle usage. Over all map size, hallways, pathways, layout, are (and should) be different between the two styles. It's good that they are separate.

Just because there aren't a high quantity of maps coming out doesn't mean that should combine the two styles. It'll defeat the whole purpose of 'balance' that Epic has worked so hard to get.

Slightly OT: Patience everybody. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was UT99. It took a long time for UT99 to get where it is and the same will happen with UT3 - if we want it too. And we - as in the community - can make it happen. It'll be a long road and it won't happen over night but things can be great (again).

Comment

quite frankly a mirrored DM map works better for CTF than a vCTF map.

Comment

Hmm yea I guess you guys are right, not worth it with vCTF and CTF. It was very good with BR and CTF though.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post

Maybe, but I bet you could have some decent games on maps like Redrooms or Alleys FBU if you totally disregard the vehicles, in fact, I have!

And this coming from a classic ctf-hater - see, I can handle a bit of give & take..

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                            agreed

vCTF maps are (probably) too big and open for normal ctf.

Comment

man i hope those 6 ctf maps are good, or we get some good community ones later, regular ctf in ut99 was the peak of awesomeness

Comment

Working...
                              X