Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic devs, how does mouse polling work in UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic devs, how does mouse polling work in UT3?

Many people have noticed that the mouse sensitivity seems to fluctuate with framerate, possibly due to the game polling the mouse once per frame rather than at a constant interval.

How does the mouse polling work in UT3?

No responses? It's a pretty simple question.

Comment

There was a pretty big thread about this floating around somewhere at one stage, probably in the beta demo feedback thread.

The search button is your friend

Comment

Yeah also there is no Mouse Sampling time setting in any of the ini files, there was in UT2004. In 2k4 it was defaulted to only take samples of the mouse for a 125hz polling time, you had to modify it if you increased your polling rate, otherwise there would be no ingame difference. Something tells me UT3 is locked at 125hz...

Comment

Basically with epic, no response is what you get.

The reason why? Well most likely they did not expect so much negative feedback/bugs/gameplay issues and were under pressure to get the game out so they did not fix most things and figured that if they responded to only a few things they did fix and not the rest people would not buy the game because their particular issue was not fixed.

I guess in epic logic, no response at least gives some people some false hope that they did fix their particular issue and will not cancel their pre order.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
            Something tells me UT3 is locked at 125hz...
            That's just the thing in question. If the game does in fact sample once per frame, then it would be like the sampling rate fluctuating with your framerate, and there are very few people who get 125 FPS in this game (which is pretty much the lowest sampling rate you're going to find with most mice nowadays). For the default settings, even if you have a really good computer that can run the game at a constant 60 FPS, it would be like a sampling rate of 60hz which is less than half of the standardized minimum mentioned above.

The PC version should definitely use a constant sampling rate (independent of framerate) that can be manually adjusted in the config, just like UT2k4. I don't know why this was changed, honestly.

Input is the biggest difference between a PC and console, so why should PC users have to contend with an input mechanism that works fine on consoles (since framerate is locked) but not on the PC?

Epic, we would really appreciate it if you guys could comment on how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by btcomm View Post
              Basically with epic, no response is what you get.

The reason why? Well most likely they did not expect so much negative feedback/bugs/gameplay issues and were under pressure to get the game out so they did not fix most things and figured that if they responded to only a few things they did fix and not the rest people would not buy the game because their particular issue was not fixed.

I guess in epic logic, no response at least gives some people some false hope that they did fix their particular issue and will not cancel their pre order.
              Their logic isn't working too well then. I know it's not much, but my 3 UT buddies and I already canceled our preorders. Best to see if they fix some of the compounding issues before forking over the cash. Keep in mind everyone, the only thing that motivates game companies is sales. If everyone just orders without liking what they see in the demo, you've lost any of the control you have as a consumer. (since it's not monthly payment like mmorpgs) Just something to think about.

Comment

turning off vsync and mouse smoothing fixed my mouse issues
                also use the driver your mouse came with, not the windows one.

Comment

I want to say I have personally not noticed sensitivity fluctuate with framerate, and I've had anywhere from 15fps to over 100.

Comment

Working...
                  X