Question for those folks who have SLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NakhtiUT3 View Post
    As far as the fps ... tell me what map you want me to run and I will do stat fps and let you know what I am averaging with SLI disabled and also with it enabled.
    stand over by the helmet on Dm-shangrala (by the edge) and look over the map to the tall mountain.. this will be taxing as you PC has to render the map centre and the mountain. what's ur FPS ( stat fps )

Comment

Originally posted by bazzwano View Post
      stand over by the helmet on Dm-shangrala (by the edge) and look over the map to the tall mountain.. this will be taxing as you PC has to render the map centre and the mountain. what's ur FPS ( stat fps )
      Cool I will do that and get back to you ...

And let me explain about the RAM issue ... yes I am running a 32 bit OS (vista in this case) and all 32 bit OSes have this issue (well 64 bit Vista has this as well but you can then get past it ... I'll explain later) where the area between 3-4 Gigs is already mapped to physical video ram if there is ram present and if there is video ram as well (which there always is in some amount even on crappy cards). So when you load up a 32 bit system with 4 Gigs you are never going to see all of that in an OS ... depending on the memory your vid card has that will be subtracted from the usable ram for the OS itself. In my case since I am using two 512 MB cards the bios makes sure that all of that memory is mapped to the area between 3 and 4 gigs and so I only have 3 Gigs of usable ram. Now when I only had one card in I had 3.4 Gigs of usable ram ... so hopefully that clears that up for you.

Now with Vista and other 64 bit OSes they can use memory above the 4 gig address space so while that area between 3-4 still gets used if you have 6 gigs you still have access to that additional 2 gigs of ram above the 4 gig area so in my case if I had 64 bit Vista I would have 5 Gigs of usable ram. 64 bit Vista Home standard can use up to 8 Gbs of Ram, Home Prem 16 and Enterprise/Ultimate a whopping 128 Gbs (but all suffer the loss of the 1 gig between the 3-4 gig area if you are using SLI like mine or greater).

Comment

anyone with dual 8800gtx/ultra 768 meg (1536mb total) find they have ram shortage due to this XP not supporting much ram? anyone know anything? i plan to do this with XP (see sig) but now I hear I may be short of ram even if i put in 2 gb
        Nah you will be fine if you only put in 2 Gb because you don't have physical ram in the area that the OS can map video ram to. Now in your case if you 4 Gbs you will end up with only 2.5 Gbs usable because those cards are eating up 1.5 Gbs of physical memory. And they are using not only All the memory in the 3-4 Gb space but also chewing up some in the 2-3 Gig Area ... so really anything over 2.5 Gb of ram in a SLI 8800 GTX/Ultra setup will end up having this issue. Really that is why for most 32 bit systems 3 Gbs is the optimal amount of Ram to have (unless of course you only have a 128MB vid card and these days who trys to get by with just that?).

Comment

Cool I will do that and get back to you ...

And let me explain about the RAM issue ... yes I am running a 32 bit OS (vista in this case) and all 32 bit OSes have this issue (well 64 bit Vista has this as well but you can then get past it ... I'll explain later) where the area between 3-4 Gigs is already mapped to physical video ram if there is ram present and if there is video ram as well (which there always is in some amount even on crappy cards). So when you load up a 32 bit system with 4 Gigs you are never going to see all of that in an OS ... depending on the memory your vid card has that will be subtracted from the usable ram for the OS itself. In my case since I am using two 512 MB cards the bios makes sure that all of that memory is mapped to the area between 3 and 4 gigs and so I only have 3 Gigs of usable ram. Now when I only had one card in I had 3.4 Gigs of usable ram ... so hopefully that clears that up for you.

Now with Vista and other 64 bit OSes they can use memory above the 4 gig address space so while that area between 3-4 still gets used if you have 6 gigs you still have access to that additional 2 gigs of ram above the 4 gig area so in my case if I had 64 bit Vista I would have 5 Gigs of usable ram. 64 bit Vista Home standard can use up to 8 Gbs of Ram, Home Prem 16 and Enterprise/Ultimate a whopping 128 Gbs (but all suffer the loss of the 1 gig between the 3-4 gig area if you are using SLI like mine or greater).
          Oh ok thanks that helps me alittle, I was considering getting 4 gig 1066 ram(and 64 OS) when I upgraded my mobo. But I also read that after 3 gigs, extra ram would be useless at this point of gaming. So I'll just up my mobo and get 2 gigs of 1066 ram

Comment

Originally posted by Spinner187 View Post
            Well Maybe this would help you on your overclocking.
            1. try using Uguru...its for abit mobo
            2. Look at this post http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Like I said I am in the same boat as you in the OC, Barely Any knowdelge, but I do know my Mobo stinks for overclocking(Biostar T965-e). It has the features, but i can't adjust the voltage in small increments in the bios, and the on-the-fly overclocking program that came with mobo is so dam inaccurate.

Are you using 32 bit or 64 vista.
            I heard 32 bit can't detect more then 3 gig of ram, for some techbabble reason I can't recall.

As for the fps. Hmmm Shangali...around the helmet area ,like we mention b4.
            I guess do it in single player, since bandwidth lantecy won't be a factor.
            Thanks for that excellent link to Overclocking the Q6600 ... I should be able to make some headway now ... at least I hope so. Heck at this point I would settle for a 2.8 Ghz Q6600. What is so crazy to me is that so many people have OCed this using the Abit board and yet I have had so much trouble finding someone who can step me through this. Anyway I have Abit lastest and greatest Mobo as well as the most recent bios so from that standpoint I am good to go and yes I am familiar with uGuru although it doesn't make that much sense to me atm. Hopefully after reading that article it will.

Comment

Oh I just remember something.

This may or may not be true but.

I heard in ddr2(and maybe for ddr3 for that matter) that if you run an odd number or ram sticks, you lose the Dual Channel function, therefore be a lose of speed or something or other.

It probably just speculation, but I going to google it after I post this.

Comment

Oh ok thanks that helps me alittle, I was considering getting 4 gig 1066 ram(and 64 OS) when I upgraded my mobo. But I also read that after 3 gigs, extra ram would be useless at this point of gaming. So I'll just up my mobo and get 2 gigs of 1066 ram
                Yeah I would recommend that ... like I said I just got four because of the great price and also Vista does run faster with 3 Gigs instead of 2 ... not much faster but still it is faster and I like my OS to load things as fast as possible.

Comment

Oh I just remember something.

This may or may not be true but.

I heard in ddr2(and maybe for ddr3 for that matter) that if you run an odd number or ram sticks, you lose the Dual Channel function, therefore be a lose of speed or something or other.

It probably just speculation, but I going to google it after I post this.
                  No that is the truth ... which is another reason I did 4 gigs but you can also do 3 gigs by using 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512 sticks. But really you can't just do 2.5 because that would cause the system to actually be slower. This is true for any dual channel ram ... ddr1 and up.

Comment

No that is the truth ... which is another reason I did 4 gigs but you can also do 3 gigs by using 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512 sticks. But really you can't just do 2.5 because that would cause the system to actually be slower. This is true for any dual channel ram ... ddr1 and up.
                    Well I guess having more memory is better then having memory speed(to a certain point of course).
                    But I going to stick with 2, until vista comes out with service pack. Hopefully soon

Comment

ok so based on what you have said.. im starting to think instead of spending $360 (NZ) on 4 GB ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 that i would be better to get just 2 GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-18 for $332 in the end, im not sure which is faster due to the timings

really keen to know those FPS'S

Comment

ok so based on what you have said.. im starting to think instead of spending $360 (NZ) on 4 GB ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 that i would be better to get just 2 GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-18 for $332 in the end, im not sure which is faster due to the timings

really keen to know those FPS'S
                        I wish I had a answer to that. More memory vs. Better timing and speed.
                        And what will really bake your noodle, what abour ddr3 when it comes out?

Yeah FPS please.

Comment

im getting the striker extreme.. to impatient for ddr3.. gota have my build finished b4 i get UT3.. if i got 4 gigs... as said it would only use 2.5 of it due to the SLI ultras... hmmm im trying to finder performance benchmarks between the tw0 types of ram to help me decide.

Comment

im getting the striker extreme.. to impatient for ddr3.. gota have my build finished b4 i get UT3.. if i got 4 gigs... as said it would only use 2.5 of it due to the SLI ultras... hmmm im trying to finder performance benchmarks between the tw0 types of ram to help me decide.
                            No, I think NakhtiUT3 said you get 2.5 gig if u have 2-1gigs sticks and 2-512mb sticks.
                            I believe he is getting 3 gigs while having 4 gigs and sli setup

Comment

No, I think NakhtiUT3 said you get 2.5 gig if u have 2-1gigs sticks and 2-512mb sticks.
                              I believe he is getting 3 gigs while having 4 gigs and sli setup
                              Actually for me you are correct and it is because the cards combined have 1 GB of memory which ALL gets mapped to that area in the 3-4 gig space because I actually have the physical ram. Now if you have 3 Gigs of ram you are okay because you are not putting any physical ram in that area where it would get used by video cards ... but in a dual channel system the only way to really do this is to use 2 1 Gb sticks and 2 512 sticks so you are still using all the ram slots in a dual channel system. You should be fine to run even GTX cards in SLI without losing more than than .5 gigs of ram in a 3 gig system. This is because there is so much video ram.

Heck when the 1 Gb cards come out unless you have a 64 bit OS it won't make any sense to use 4 Gbs of physical ram because 2 gigs will get used up if you do SLI with these cards ... these days it really appears that 64 bit Vista will be the way to go in about 6 months to a year when it becomes just a bit more stable. The 4 gig limit for 32 bit systems combined with how video memory is mapped makes them less than optimal for the future.

Comment

DDR3 is already out but it is VERY EXPENSIVE .. the cheapest I found was $319 for a 2 gig pack. It is fast but not that much faster for the price imho. I was going to get this kind of memory if I would have gotten the E6850 cpu because that has an effective speed of up to 1600Mhz and the DDR3 memory is rated to go that high ... unlike the best DDR2 Ram which maxes out at 1066Mhz (I think).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

Comment

Working...
                                X