No announcement yet.

Man 8800GT is amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it seems to me that the only difference is that the GTX can do 4X AA. How much of a difference does this really make though? Hopefully I'll be building myself a new rig sometime in the not too distant future, and I'm trying to decide what video card to get.

Would someone be willing to post / link to pics, one with and one without this AA? (basically I'm looking to contrast the visual quality between the GT and the GTX)

Comment

Originally posted by Miles_Militis View Post
      Well, it seems to me that the only difference is that the GTX can do 4X AA. How much of a difference does this really make though? Hopefully I'll be building myself a new rig sometime in the not too distant future, and I'm trying to decide what video card to get.

Would someone be willing to post / link to pics, one with and one without this AA? (basically I'm looking to contrast the visual quality between the GT and the GTX)
      There are close up shots on that link I posted... some games AA is better than others (I can take or leave it in UT3 demo even though I can easily enable it @ over 100fps!) it does look better but whether people prefer that to a performance hit is down to personal taste.

Other games of course can look pretty bad with aliasing and even 2X helps. Need proper replies from those who already have PC gears and the means to test both AA on and OFF. Personally if I buy it I would play with AA on in gears as it's not too fast paced (in single player mode; having played the 360 version many times i'd want it to look it's best!)

Comment

Thanks! I guess I should have looked first. That's a really excellent review! I can live without AA, so I guess unless the price drops on the GTX with the release of nVidia's new card I'll probably be the proud owner of a Geforce 8800GT (hell, I could get two in SLI for just over a GTX).

Comment

Who really needs AA in such a fast paced game as UT3, especially when the resolution is something like 1600x1200?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacher View Post
            Who really needs AA in such a fast paced game as UT3, especially when the resolution is something like 1600x1200?
            People with LCD screens.
            But you're right about the game being so fast paced you won't be standing still long enough to notice jaggies.

Comment

As I said AA is a preference not an essential (above a certain resolution) and in UT3 if you are moving around so fast it's not as important.

BTW - It wouldn't suprise me if there is a similar 'bioshock rename' trick for gears of war exe to enable you to overide in the drivers even on a GT so before long there may be a way that everyone can play ON DX9/XP *WITH* AA on 2X, 4X whatever and the likely speed boost from DX9/XP will offset the 2XAA.

Just got to wait to see if it's possible, if anyone has the game try renaming the .exe to 'bioshock' in XP and seeing if you can overide the AA in game (with an 8series gpu probably).

Comment

Specifically those of us on lower res LCD's that can't go higher (even though our cards could easily handle it) @ 1440x900 I like to Use AA where I can, I use it in UT3 (demo) because I can still get very fast frame rates so would always prefer it on unless performance dropped below 60ish (in a fast response game like UT) in gears single player or offline single players I would drop down to 30fps if I can have AA on in a single player/slower game.

Comment

My 8800GT is around 75-80c when playing UT3 with max details. That's with fan on auto (= 29%?). When I manually turn fan to 100%, it stays around 60-65c area, but sounds like a freaking jet engine.
                  What program are you using to see your GPU temps? I would like to know my GPU temps as well and that Nvidia control panel is confusing to me ... I can't tell what my card is running at. Is there a better program like a Coretemp but for Vid cards?

Comment

man the 8800GT hasn't arrive in newegg they all sold out

Comment

Originally posted by NakhtiUT3 View Post
                      What program are you using to see your GPU temps? I would like to know my GPU temps as well and that Nvidia control panel is confusing to me ... I can't tell what my card is running at. Is there a better program like a Coretemp but for Vid cards?
                      Try everest free demo.

Comment

aww man, all i got is an old card.
                        Verto FX5600 i think
                        hopefully i'll get a new one soon

Comment

mehs got 5900XT (nvidia), should get a 6800 soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X