UT3 and Hitscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm having trouble adjusting to hitscan in UT3. I was decent in UT2004 (sometimes I was very good). In this game, I simply miss. Often on guys who are making no effort to dodge my shots too. Even my sniping is woefully unreliable.

Several factors I can think off:

New movement. New graphics. Lower fps then ut3. Unchangeable crosshairs. New mouse settings. More spam gameplay.

I'm blaming lucksture fps, mouse settings, and the crosshairs. Maybe I was too used to hitting green neon targets back in ut2004 as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ESL, I'll give you one actual answer and lead you towards the second:

1. The movement speed is drastically different and this makes lining up shots a lot different than 2k. My aim is godlike in 2k and mediocre in UT3.
    2. Do some testing with a friend, there IS a difference in aiming with rifle and shock. No joke. Once you figure out what is going on you'll be better.

Sorry to be cryptic about #2, but I'm keeping the secret close for a competitive advantage But I wanted to ease your mind, you're not insane. Aiming is done differently between rifle and shock. I'll leave the testing up to you. I've tested this extensively with a clan mate. The lack of consistentcy in what constitutes a hit is what screws you up.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know, I experienced the same thing when 2k3 came out vs UT99. I think a good portion of it is just getting used to how the mouse and the mouse button resoponds differently from game to game. It took me a couple of weeks, but I seemed to have started to get the "feel" for timing firing versus hitting with hitscan.

I think it's more that we just a fresh movent and firing system from the ground up and it's just hard to adapt after playing a massive amount of hours recently in another UT game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    colored tiny dots ftw

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For UT2K4 I found decreasing their size to 75% or 55% and decreasing their opacity to no more than 50% helped ALOT. Especially if you play at lower resolutions where enemies in the distance appear very tiny and pixelated. I had the problem with the cross hair covering the enemy up and I had to constantly move it back down to see where they moved next.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah - I do miss the dot as well. Our clan leader actually taped a hole punch out onto his monitor and turned off the crosshair. I should try that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I had a dot and a bracket. Gotta love UTComps custom x-hairs :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's all about the crossair.

In ut2k4, I had a dot for every weapons and yes it make me more acurate with a dot then a big ugly cross.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gravit View Post
    It may be related to this thread from BU:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=191263

They kind of discuss a way to test the varying sensitivity if you can find some places with consistent fps while doing a 360.
    Wow, that makes much more sens (pun intended) now. This would have to be not present in the release. I don't see how it could be.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It may be related to this thread from BU:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=191263

They kind of discuss a way to test the varying sensitivity if you can find some places with consistent fps while doing a 360.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oz, I don't disagree with the items you call out as differences. But Ickle is also right that any hitscan fight in 2k4 was pretty grounded or you die.

I don't think those two items are the reasons for hitscan %% dropping like a rock tho. After playing a bit more I really do believe that it's due to the movement speed difference. But NOT the movement speed change of your target - it's the movement speed of me as a shooter.

I was the kind of shooter that would put the xhair up and use movement to get the xhair on my opponent. I would sweep the xhair thru my opponent and pull the trigger when he was under it. But my reaction time is pretty poor in general. So I think my brain just got used to the fact that "once my xhair was X cm away, pull the trigger" By the time my brain processed all that, I would hit. Call it brain lag

Well once the movement changes, X isn't X any more. Now, it's Y.

So, I think it's just going to take me some time to recalibrate to Y now.

This is how I am justifying it today anyway

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
    1.the GRAVITY, UT2k3/4 were very "floaty" in that dodge jumping/wall dodge jumping could carry you across the room because gravity and the jump arc were much more like a hill curve than a mountain as real gravity is. You must now adjust to the fact that you will fall much faster and the jump arcs are more narrow than wide now.
    Well actually in '2k4, hitscan fights were more of a grounded experience too. You left the gorund and you were dead, so people tended to stay rooted. It was only really '2k3 that had the predominantly airbourne fights.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you are used to 2k4 physics and hitscan but never played UT99 then you won't be able to adjust as fast as those of us that played UT99.

There are two factors;

1.the GRAVITY, UT2k3/4 were very "floaty" in that dodge jumping/wall dodge jumping could carry you across the room because gravity and the jump arc were much more like a hill curve than a mountain as real gravity is. You must now adjust to the fact that you will fall much faster and the jump arcs are more narrow than wide now.

2. Run speed has increased to compensate for the drop in flying speed from dodging, over all it has given the game a faster pace with less predictable shots compared to 2k3/4, in 2k3/4 people were dodging in every direction, somewhat in strait lines because of the length of the dodges, but now that dodges are short and run speed is up, there will be much more contact with the ground and thereby much more change of direction and "difficulty" in the shots.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by stoker6 View Post
    I've played with leech a few times.
    yep we have! o/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tasties View Post
    I have days where I have issues but I know what my problem is.Two things, mouse sense is at 1 and its still to fast, and I dont have a dot. Hopefully there will be a way to go with a lower mouse sense in the full version. Il never be able to play at the level I used to consistantly with the mouse sense this fast.
    You can in the demo.
    It's the 6th line down in your UTinput.ini. Scale at 0-100 being equivalent to the in-game 0(1)-10.

You can also set it in the console with set sensitivity #.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X