No announcement yet.

UT3 and Hitscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one has even mentioned the fact that you have to SLIGHTLY lead the sniper rifle. I think this has something to do with it. I think there is a slight delay in the hitscan shot, there has to be.

The reason I say this is because I am slaying at the moment with the sniper rifle because I figured this out some time ago that I had to shoot JUST in front of where the target was headed. I could hit real well in UT2 with hitscan, and now I can hit really well with the sniper in UT3. However my shock primary sucks balls and not the secondary type, the hairy type. I think it has everything to do with some sort of delay in firing.

**My connection is fine and has always been fine and has not changed since UT2 when I was hitting with LG like it went out of fashion. I'd even take a LG into a flak fight cause I know just over 5.3246 times out of 10 I could pull it off.

Yeah, there has to be a delay in UT3 just to make sure that hitscan was much harder to do.

Try it. If some one is running perpendicular to you across the map, shoot rouighly an arms length in front of the model.

EDIT: But this does not explain the ease of hitting a shock ball with the primary but not being able to hit another model just as easy. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacher View Post
      I think this is about at least two things.
      Second, and actually the more important one. FPS-related mouse sensitivity.
      You mean, lower FPS leads to higher sensitivity to compensate lag or what? In ut2004 I have 30-45 fps, but it doesn't affect aiming so much.

Personally, it is shock beam itself that confuses me - it's too thick and uneven. I don't feel a perspective at all. In ut2004 I used to make each shot being based on previous shot. That clear, precise, purple line helped me a lot in visual estimation of degree needed for next shot. Now, I have to watch at crosshair all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacher View Post
        I think this is about at least two things.

First, slower rate of fire, especially on shock primary. It really takes time to time your shots right, when the rate of fire is slightly slower than what it used to be.

Second, and actually the more important one. FPS-related mouse sensitivity. Unless you have absolutely solid 60fps all the time (and locked so it doesn't get above that), your mouse sensitivity fluctuates all the time with the fps. It makes aiming in combat really tricky.
        For the first point, i dont think this really counts (well, not with me anyway) - considering the ASMD is at the same ROF as in UT99, I would hardly need to adjust??

The frame rate I can understand - smoother is ALWAYS better - but even then, my frame rate hardly ever dips below 20FPS, and is generally very consistant. But hey, it could just be exactly that. I'm still inclined to believe the sensitivity is somewhat out somewhere, such as in the mouse acceleration, but I have no way of prooving this.

Comment

I think it's the fact pings are higher in this demo than in most 2k4 servers.
          I get around 45-60 ping, in 2k4 I had steady 20-30's.
          I'm playing like 2k4.. as if it's a lan. Shoot them = hit them.
          It feels like it's a low ping when firing etc, but when it comes to hitting - it just isn't.

Comment

I am not sure. But, I do think that good players look kind of like they are 'vibrating' around because of the run speed. There is something different, what I am not sure. It's like anticipation weapons are much easier to use. Maybe that's what it is. Maybe it's not that the HS are harder, but that the other weapons are easier? I am having a heck of a time killing anything with the enforcer. Especially the secondary because the spread is horribly wide and random imo. Primary is ok, but I still find it hard to hit anything with it.

Comment

EDIT: But this does not explain the ease of hitting a shock ball with the primary but not being able to hit another model just as easy. WTF?
              + one million at that....

Comment

May be because "model" runs and fires back at you?

Comment

I think it's a combination of things, first thing is most people do not get the same fps in this game as they did ut99 or ut2k4, getting higher fps helps with hitscan.

Second thing is I think movement is faster, people move out of your cross hair faster then they did before because running is faster, yes in ut2k4 you could move faster with dodge jump but that is a very predictable movement and most people good at hit scan would kill a player that dodge jumped, and you don't have to wait as long in ut3 to do another dodge as you did in ut2k4.

Third, the players seem to be smaller in this game then they were in ut2k4, so now your target has shrunk in size making it harder to hit.

I would say those are 3 major reasons why hitscan is harder in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt View Post
                    phew, i thought i had suddenly start to really suck, but yeah i seem to be just off target alot, maybe its just all the eye candy distracting me but it does seem odd, withthe sniper i have to stand still to get a shot off but i think the slow reload on that doesn't help at all as i'm ready for the next shot way before the gun is and then am out of sync. the asmd is weird, i mean i like it and love the vortex suck effect it does on the combo but primary seems a little twitchy. i know the weapons look and 'feel' heavier but maybe they have some 'weight' to them so fast movements mean the weapon carries on moving a little like it would in real life (momentum).
                    being able to change cross hairs would be good too.
                    I was having trouble with the flak cannon until I turned the aiming cross hairs off and began practicing without them. My aim was off for the spread because of my U2K4 sighting practices. UT3 and U2K4 are just different. So I'd suggest playing without cross hairs at all for a little bit to get the feel for where to aim.

Comment

It also may be worth noting that some weapons do not fire at the center of the screen. Is this part of the design or a bug?

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...5#post25074085

Comment

This is what helped me a lot: http://forum.thedubclan.com/viewtopic.php?p=17267#17267

Comment

You can try also the ini edits to the X/Y scaling as mentioned somewhere in this forum (edit: that up there ^). It helped mine a little, but not by much.

I've pretty much given up trying. I think it's the combinations of FPS dependant mouse sensitivity, not FPS related mouse lag that messes things up. The faster walk speed, not of the enemy but your own (becuase you should try to aim with your movement more if not as much as your mouse). And the huge whopping crosshairs. Simple crosshairs help, but i needs my dot.

I'll leave it until insta comes along anyway.

Comment

We just need to adapt to it

Comment

Its exactly the same thing that happened when UT2003/4 was released, you just need to adapt to the new game.

Comment

Lower framerates + screwed up mouse input (basically your sens changes a little bit randomly) + new enemy movement to keep track of = hard to get comfortable with hitscan.

Comment

Working...
                                X