UT3 and Hitscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 and Hitscan

ok I have had it and I have to ask. I been playing the UT series for awhile now. The vast majority of my time on UT2k4. I got to a point where I could hit my hitscan reasonably. I could hit twitch shots, etc.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT UT3?

I mean this is a serious question. I'm trying to diagnose what it is about this game that seriously screw up my aim. I made my sense pretty much the same. I have no accel. But I reliably pull the trigger at the wrong point. My brain is instinctively telling me when to pull it and it's so wrong.

Is there something obviously different about the mouse input? I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has figured out what about the mechanics is so different so that I can try to compensate. And if any of the developers have any clues, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

UT3 isn't as HS dominant. Learn to use other weapons?
    I have really no problem hitting people with HS weapons. I think the giant crosshair and missleading crosshair color change doesn't help.

Comment

I didn't say I had problems playing. I LOVE the game. I can play just fine using the other weaps. I'm just trying to figure out what it is about hitting with sniper and shock primary. I just read a lengthy thread which jumps to the conclusion that the problem is with the mouse. I don't know if it's that. I don't know WHAT it is but I really think there is something there.

I'll adapt. But I might adapt faster if I knew what was different.

P.S. I have Vsync off, mouse smoothing, etc. But the characterization I read in that other thread about how small movement when trying to aim are exagerrated are pretty right on.

Comment

i'm sure some of it is the lack of cross-hair options. The defaults blow and as far as I know you can't change them in demo. I've never been that good at HS in the first place, but I'de sure like to see the mini-gun damage turned down a notch and the damage upped on Shock. I can't get a shot off if there's more then 10-12 players, without some fu*ker mowing me down with a mini. Sure I can use a mini too, but I don't find that challenging at all.

Comment

yeah I thought about maybe it being the xhair. I have been able to change the color but yeah - I do miss my dot alot.

Comment

You know, i have the exact same problem with the ASMD Shock. At first i thought i was going insane, but i realised now i am not the only one with this problem.

You know what i think it is? It probably is the smoothdrag weapon effect. That means that the weapon is wobbly when you move the mouse left-right and it might cause some brain damage and make me miss.

However, the hitbox on the opponent seems to get smaller when shot at with the Shock primary. I mean, i can hit shock balls very good, but not an opponent (i think there were some threads about this).

Anyways, try playing with the weapon HIDDEN and see if you miss then. If not, then that's what's the problem.

I for one however love to see my weapon on screen so i'll have to adapt somehow to get my hitscan game going

Comment

Always play with a hidden weapon.

Thing is, I know its not the hitbox or anything like that. I see me missing. I flat out pull the trigger at the wrong time. Normally, I wouldn't even mention a thing and assume I just can't aim But my aim on 2k4 versus UT3 is night and day. There is SOMETHING different.

I even experimented heavily. I have no accel at all (even better than 2k4 actually). Maybe it's just in my head. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by duddley View Post
                i'm sure some of it is the lack of cross-hair options. The defaults blow and as far as I know you can't change them in demo.
                There's a simple xhair option that gives all weapons (and vehicles for that matter) the xhair from either the enforcer or the sniper (don't remember which): dot with 4 blades around it. It helps some.

As to the rest, maybe it's just the faster run speed screwing you up. I know I'm not as good w/ hitscan as I was in 2k4 either, but then I've had a year off to gather rust (and wasn't that good to start with).

Comment

Thing is, I know its not the hitbox or anything like that. I see me missing. I flat out pull the trigger at the wrong time. Normally, I wouldn't even mention a thing and assume I just can't aim But my aim on 2k4 versus UT3 is night and day. There is SOMETHING different.

That's exactly my feeling too. But with me it only happens with the Shock rifle. My aim with the sniper is as good as the other UT's and i can hit flying headshots and stuff. But when i get the shock, it's like synapses in my brain reverse and i hit anywhere but my opponent. It's like i'm trying to move the mouse through water or something (although the sensitivity is the same).

Comment

I think ut2004 players have a plain disadvantage in this game with shock.

They just made it the way that it feels like the opposite of what we are used to. i play instagib in ut2004 & trying to aim in ut3 goes wrong... i'd blaim the diffirent moving speed, since we are all used to aiming in-double-dodge, if u know what i mean. Most gamers who dont play unreal take their basic aim for a standing-still aim, in ut, your basic aim is your aim when moving/dodging. since that all changed, we are confused with our aim.

But after time i manage to do good. my hint: DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT. play on pure impulsive reactions only & y'll be lining them up

Comment

Originally posted by Discord 2.0 View Post
                      There's a simple xhair option that gives all weapons (and vehicles for that matter) the xhair from either the enforcer or the sniper (don't remember which): dot with 4 blades around it. It helps some.
                      Sounds good, I'll try and find out what the option is.

Comment

just make sure you have a constant ping and that ping is under 16, then hitscan weapons will work better

Comment

Exact same thing with me, I swear I was much better at aiming back in UT99 and 2k4 days with the sniper and ASMD - im wondering if some of the mouse settings behind the scenes are different here in UT3 - im trying to get used to it, but im still struggling

Comment

I think this is about at least two things.

First, slower rate of fire, especially on shock primary. It really takes time to time your shots right, when the rate of fire is slightly slower than what it used to be.

Second, and actually the more important one. FPS-related mouse sensitivity. Unless you have absolutely solid 60fps all the time (and locked so it doesn't get above that), your mouse sensitivity fluctuates all the time with the fps. It makes aiming in combat really tricky.

Comment

phew, i thought i had suddenly start to really suck, but yeah i seem to be just off target alot, maybe its just all the eye candy distracting me but it does seem odd, withthe sniper i have to stand still to get a shot off but i think the slow reload on that doesn't help at all as i'm ready for the next shot way before the gun is and then am out of sync. the asmd is weird, i mean i like it and love the vortex suck effect it does on the combo but primary seems a little twitchy. i know the weapons look and 'feel' heavier but maybe they have some 'weight' to them so fast movements mean the weapon carries on moving a little like it would in real life (momentum).
                              being able to change cross hairs would be good too.

Comment

Working...
                              X