buying a new psu increases fps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying a new psu increases fps?

someone made a thread here saying that upgrading for a 650 watt to 800 watt psu increased their fps by 10.

buying that 800 watt psu really brought ur fps up by 10??? in all game or just ut3? im asking because i have a 600 watt psu ultra xfinity i bought for 85 dollars (2 pci express connectors only 16amps/12amps). My system is qx6700 2.66ghz @ 3.2ghz, 8800ultra, 2 harddreives, 2 dvd drives. Can i survive with this 600 watt ultra xfinity.

only if the amperage was higher on the +12V rail on the 800W on his card which also would have a 6-pin pci-e cable...it would give the card a more accurate and stable clock reading, and hence better performance. But if the amperage is the same I'm betting there was some other reason.

Comment

I highly doubt if this did occur it was directly the PSU. In other words, the only real reason this would make sense is if the PSU wasn't supplying proper, clean voltage in the first place then it is possible (I suppose) to introduce bit errors. However, 10 fps is quite a lot of frames and I doubt that even if you had some type of errors that a PSU would be responsible for that. That all being said, I am a strong advocate of buying the absolute best PSU you can afford. Also, there is a finite amount of wattage that is needed by your components. Additional wattage won't solve anything. If there was any problem at all it would be because it was either underpowered or really noisy. In that case a PSU upgrade would help. But once you have enough wattage, you have enough.

Comment

i have 0 experience with 8800s, but just by going from what i've seen on this forum and general forums around the web, i think if u got an 8800 card, its probably better to get a slightly higher watt PSU anyway, even if it runs just fine, the general feel i get from 8800's is that they need quite a bit of power and if u "can" get a fairly big PSU it will just make it run that lil bit better. 7-750+ i would think for an 8800, just to make it run better just to make double sure theres no bottlenecking on the PSU side to slow you down especially with the machine that your running aswell... yes 8800's "can" run on 600/650 psu's but you do run a risk of bottlenecking the graphics card though. As your running an 8800 ultra to top it off... i would certainly recomend upgrading the psu anyway really.

Comment

Working...
        X