confused about RAM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    My god, when amazon said '3 - 5 weeks' they weren't screwing with me, were they?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Bump - card still not here

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've installed the 2 gigs of ram and they work stunningly - so far I haven't gone past the 1.9gig mark usage. Unfortunately my graphics card still hasn't come so yuh not much difference with framerates but oh well I'm expecting it sometime in january.

btw I installed the PSU first (OCZ stealth Xstream - 600 watts) and definitely reccommend it, I have a SATA connector that I'm not using and to PCI connectors I'm not using either so that leaves room for another hardrive and sli gfx cards... not that sli or crossfire is worth the money

Thank you all for your help although I'm a little anxious about installing the graphics card, do I need an ESD wriststrap? What shoudl i do with the old card?

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
    Thanks for adding anoth problem lmao I have no idea how much voltage is running through my computer or anything + with the new gfx card I'll need alot. Know any good sites that can tell you these things...?
    If your existing ram came with the machine, most likely it will be 1.8v ram. You'll want to stick with ram with similar voltage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you can, avoid getting a DELL.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Crysis needs 1.5GB! Thanks for the suggestions guys, I don't think I'll want to get more than 3gb of RAM any time soon so I'll stick to 32 bit 'til then.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are there any games that actually need > 2 GB of RAM yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea I have 2GB and my computer is pretty old, 2GB is the 'sweet' spot right now.

On another note, with the slow uptake of 64-bit OSes and the horrible bugs in them, what's gonna happen when games start 'needing' more than 4GB of RAM? That's only a few years off, will 64-bit OS development speed up?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just be aware that with ANY 32 bit OS by MS (maybe any period) is going to be limited to 4GBs of RAM minus the video ram and some other stuff that is reserved in the 3-4GB memory address space. So no matter what there will never be 4GBs total available to you under 32 bit Vista or XP. As an example I'll use my system ... I have two 512 GPUs so right off the back I lost a Gig of memory before Vista even boots up. Once Vista does boot it only sees 3GBs of usable RAM. So really the only reason you would have 4GBs in a 32 bit PC is due to the dual channel implementation, if you only had 3 GBs then you would actually run slower. It's the price you pay when dealing with a 32 bit OS ... that is why people are moving to 64 bit Vista where all 4 GBs are usable by the OS and up to 128 GB total can be addressed (Vista Business Ultimate).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey everybody... I'm buying either 1gi or 2 gig of ram and I'm not sure what to get really. Click HERE to see the ram that Dell eccomends for my system, there's only 5 results . I don't know whether to get 533mhz or not, it looks a little low but it's cheap, sorry If I sound stupid here I haven't upgraded ram before.
    What type ram do you need? DDR or DDR2? You need to be specific. In any case, it's always backward compatible. That means you can get DDR2 800 and it can run at DDR2 533 if that's all your motherboard can handle. Buying DDR2 533 a waste of money, it's obsolete. Dell recommendations are from when the machine was designed, not from what is compatible today.

WARNING, only buy from Dell if you want to pay way too much for it. Do a price comparison.

Get value ram if you do not plan ot OC. Kingston, Corsair, and some others have lifetime warranty and will retain higher resale value as such. make sure you get a brand with that type of warranty.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks I know this is a fairly old thread but just saying I took your advice and bought a 600 watt PSU (OCZ StealthXStream >>link<<) which has a 120mm fan as you suggested and is only £49.99 but after I ordered it they increased the price to £59.99 lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for adding anoth problem lmao I have no idea how much voltage is running through my computer or anything + with the new gfx card I'll need alot. Know any good sites that can tell you these things...?
    The power supply in a dell is usually very tiny and barely able to make what you bought work, That is an example of dell efficiency. Lucky the power supply can be replaced without worry.
    Better off spending a little more on a good power supply that will last a long time. Think of a power supply as a long term investment in infrastructure, You need at least a 600 watt power supply to make sure you will have enough power. Power supplies vary in price and quality. A cheap power supply may be OK for the kids computer that only does word processing and surfs the internet. For a good rig, you need to choose a good power supply. You can re-use the power supply when you upgrade to a real motherboard and cpu based system.

Things to look for;
    Cables and plugs, how many, how long, and for what?
    Is it SLI Certified?
    Does it have active PFC?
    Does it have plugs for SLI (2 video cards)?
    Fan configuration - 120mm, 2 x 80mm, 3 x 80mm, 1 x 80mm?
    MTBF - Mean time between failures - get one with 100,000 hours or better

Modular type cables and connections have both pros and cons. The pros are easier cable routing with fewer cables, improved airflow, and better astetics. The cons are more connections mean less reliability and the possibility of losing the unused cables in your office's black hole. I prefer a supply with a 120mm fan, they are typically much quieter and still push out the heat.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well thanks for the help, look like I'm getting the above mentioned Ballstix 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 2 gb kit
    There is a reason there are 10 times more DDR2 800 PC6400 2 gig kits listed than what you have chosen. That is because what you have chosen is obsolete. If your system supports DDR2 800 PC2-6400, which if you check the memory specs is 100% backwards compatible, you will be better off. Choose wisely or just toss the money away, your choice. FYI, all memory will work with a slower clock, DUH!

But remember, your dell may not use industry standards for compatibility. You may not have have much of a BIOS, that adds a dollar or two to the price you know. With a dell there is no fine print to read nor manuals to inform, it's just a dell piece of dell type thing. You get what you get if you buy a dell. If the DDR2 800 PC6400 2 gig kit does not work, simply return it to newegg and then get the more expensive and obsolete Ballstix 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 2 gb kit. Again your choice. Choose wisely or just toss the money away, your choice. It's definitely worth the risk.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by THORB4 View Post
    Don't forget about the voltage difference, it will be 2.2V each ram that you install. good hunting

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Lithic View Post
    Hoy there, I've recently upgraded my Dimension E520 with 2x of the "Kingston - Memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 533 MHz / PC2-4200 - CL4 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC" variaty, works like a charm.

First time I've really upgraded RAM as well, so couldnt comment on if the other versions might be better, but I saw a fair jump in performance for the money I spend, easy as hell to install and havent had a single problem what so ever.
    yeh 2 GB's is nice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X