confused about RAM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused about RAM...

Hey everybody... I'm buying either 1gi or 2 gig of ram and I'm not sure what to get really. Click HERE to see the ram that Dell eccomends for my system, there's only 5 results . I don't know whether to get 533mhz or not, it looks a little low but it's cheap, sorry If I sound stupid here I haven't upgraded ram before.

I hate to be off topic/on topic but:

I hear that if you have 4 gigs(or more), you should run 64 bit OS. Why is that? I hear there is alot of software compability problems in 64bit.

But Neways EpicKiller, you got a dell? Man I don't know how dell are built nowadays, but when I had a dell(bought it in 2003) It had very limited upgradable capabilities. I was stuck with rimbus ram, while all my other friends were getting ddr. But neways, do u know what memory speed your "dell" motherboard can handle, cause 533 is pretty slow to today's stardards.

P.S. I see you getting a 1950 pro. You should go for the Sapphire 1950xt. I have a 256 version, and man it is pretty bad ***. It unclockes in 2d mode(so your card isn't running hot while not playing games), and then it shots up to 691/1800mhz(ddr2 mode) while playing games.

Comment

2gigs of 667mhz RAM would be the best imo.

Comment

Hoy there, I've recently upgraded my Dimension E520 with 2x of the "Kingston - Memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 533 MHz / PC2-4200 - CL4 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC" variaty, works like a charm.

First time I've really upgraded RAM as well, so couldnt comment on if the other versions might be better, but I saw a fair jump in performance for the money I spend, easy as hell to install and havent had a single problem what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithic View Post
          Hoy there, I've recently upgraded my Dimension E520 with 2x of the "Kingston - Memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 533 MHz / PC2-4200 - CL4 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC" variaty, works like a charm.

First time I've really upgraded RAM as well, so couldnt comment on if the other versions might be better, but I saw a fair jump in performance for the money I spend, easy as hell to install and havent had a single problem what so ever.
          Don't get me wrong, dells are pretty good machine. But they are so limited. U can't use different cases, cause the mobo was specifically made to fit only dell cases.(and there cases have usually have poor air circulation.

Actually any Pre-bulit Brand name computers are made like that. But usually their life span is basically 3 years. While Home built computer varies.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinner187 View Post
            I hear that if you have 4 gigs(or more), you should run 64 bit OS. Why is that? I hear there is alot of software compability problems in 64bit.
            Because 32 bit operating systems can't address more than 4GB. Most CPUs are designed to use a single integer register to address the memory space. So, with 2^32 possible addresses you can reference 4 GB. While it could be possible to use more than one register that would slow down memory access (since then 2 or more cycles would be needed). Also, older memory buses simply aren't wide enough and have a 32 bit hardware limit. Operating systems simply follow what the hardware can do.

Comment

Originally posted by ixiWildflowerixi View Post
              Because 32 bit operating systems can't address more than 4GB. Most CPUs are designed to use a single integer register to address the memory space. So, with 2^32 possible addresses you can reference 4 GB. While it could be possible to use more than one register that would slow down memory access (since then 2 or more cycles would be needed). Also, older memory buses simply aren't wide enough and have a 32 bit hardware limit. Operating systems simply follow what the hardware can do.
              Thanks man, Ive been thinking about getting 2 more sticks for $100 bucks. but I guess I also have to get vista 64 home premium. Ironically that cost more then then the ram

Comment

Originally posted by Lithic View Post
                Cool thanks, it looks like the only type of RAM the E520 can install. How much did you pay for each 1gb of RAM and did you buy direct from DELL?
                Originally posted by Spinner187 View Post
                P.S. I see you getting a 1950 pro. You should go for the Sapphire 1950xt.
                thanks for the info how much is it?

As for my DELL casing I'm suprised at how good it has a sizeable fan which slowly circulates cool air and two front grill fans which... errr... look cool.
                I have 4 slots to put RAM in right now, 2 slots are being used up by 2x512mb chips. That leaves enough room for either a couple of 1gb chips or 2gb chips or 512mb chips. I'm getting two 1gb so I'll total 4 gig of ram, enough to run on my 32-bit. Thanks for the help so far

Comment

Just remember guys that more ram is only good to a point. Once you go past that point having more ram won't make much difference, unless you're running some serious graphics/video editing stuff (there's other more exotic things too). IMHO 3 gigs is good for most things at this point in time. Past that isn't gonna get you much. Once we reach a point where general computing needs ~4gigs to function well you'll see much more focus on 64bit OS's.

Just wanted to point that out.

Comment

^^ Good point, I don't want to upgrade my ram again for a few years or until I get a completely new rig...

Oh and how would I go about overclocking the Sapphire 1950 PRO? Apparently ATI tray tools doesn't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
                      Hey everybody... I'm buying either 1gi or 2 gig of ram and I'm not sure what to get really. Click HERE to see the ram that Dell eccomends for my system, there's only 5 results . I don't know whether to get 533mhz or not, it looks a little low but it's cheap, sorry If I sound stupid here I haven't upgraded ram before.
                      Does you motherboard support DDR2 800? If DDR2 800 will work, it's best to buy memory that will be usable later for a motherboard upgrade or will have better value to sell on ebay. The slower memory they have listed is very expensive and very obsolete. Anything you buy from dell will be very expensive and very obsolete.

You can buy 2 gig, 2X1 gig or DDR2 800 Corsair extreme for like $72 USD from non dell online vendors.
                      http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...85025-5&ps=ho1

Never buy from dell. You will pay more and get less.

Comment

How do I find out what my mobo supports?

Comment

Go to newegg.com and look at crucial RAM, they might have a better selection and definately a better price.

Comment

Again, I don't want to buy anything that my motherboard doesn't support.

Best I could find from Crucial
                            Best I could find from Kingston
                            Best I could find from Corsair

edit - according to newegg, my mobo supports all of these

Comment

either Kingston or Crucial have a scanner that will tell you what ram is supported by your mobo, it is a download and it scans your system and tells you the results

Comment

Working...
                              X