Joystick support in release version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joystick support in release version?

I did a search on the forums, but I have not seen an official post addressing the joystick support issue. The demo version did not have this, so I would like to know if the initial release will.

Since the game has gone gold, I hope we can get an official response.

i think it will but I'm not completely sure

Comment

Just a question: Why would you want to use a totally inferior input device?

BTW: Have you actually tried binding the joystick axes and buttons in UTInput.ini?

Comment

Huh ? How can you play an fps with a joystick Oo ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
          Just a question: Why would you want to use a totally inferior input device?
          Out of curiosity, what is the superior input device? I've always played UT (and other FPSs) using Joystick+Mouse. Some of the better players I know use Joystick+Trackball. What do the "professional gamers" use?

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
          BTW: Have you actually tried binding the joystick axes and buttons in UTInput.ini?
          No. I've looked around and haven't found any instructions that work. Trying to use older UT2004 did work for me, but I didn't spend too long fiddling with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Muaziz View Post
            Out of curiosity, what is the superior input device? I've always played UT (and other FPSs) using Joystick+Mouse. Some of the better players I know use Joystick+Trackball. What do the "professional gamers" use?
            KBM > *... most precision plus you can bind a lot more stuff to a keyboard than you can to any joystick.

Comment

Originally posted by Muaziz View Post
              Out of curiosity, what is the superior input device?
              the one you judge to be so - there is no real "superior" input device. if it works for you and you do well then that is the "superior" one.

to answer your other question - i don't have real numbers, but it stands to reason that the vast majority of all PC players use mouse/KB.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetTooth View Post
                KBM > *... most precision plus you can bind a lot more stuff to a keyboard than you can to any joystick.
                notice he said he uses joystick and mouse.

as for being able to bind a lot more stuff...i've got a joystick with 24 individual buttons (this not including the total if the mode switch is used). it's not ye olde atari joystick with the stick and a button.

Comment

Originally posted by wasser View Post
                  i don't have real numbers, but it stands to reason that the vast majority of all PC players use mouse/KB.
                  I am real curious as to what the numbers are. I think a lot of people *do* use KB+Mouse. Not because it is optimal, but simply because they do not know any better, or don't have the option.

My experience has been that Joystick/Mouse (or Trackball) players do much better. I'm a keyboard junky. I know more shortcuts than most people I know (I never use the mouse for pull-down menus, etc). I can type fast and move stuff around in a way that amazes the novice. And yet, I find Joystick+Mouse to be much better for FPSs.

I will admit that this may be true for intermediate levels, but false for the high end gamers. I really don't know ,which is why I was asking what the elite players use.

But the bottom line is that lots of players use the good old joystick so I hope it will be fully support in UT3. And unlike the old Atari 2600 square joysticks that gave you hand cramps after 4-6 hours, the modern ones are quite nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X