Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone Check this out! DESTRUCTABLE ENVIROMENTS AND WEATHER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone Check this out! DESTRUCTABLE ENVIROMENTS AND WEATHER!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/114604.html
    Talk about unreal!!!

Probaly campaign I assume.

Comment

That's been around for a little while.
      It's actually not part of UT3, but is a map made by Ageia to demo their physics card.
      Although there is a CTF map that will be in the game that has periodic sandstorms.

Comment

SWEET! weather hey... us modders might be able to set it so if you start some factory in warfare, it CREATES GLOBAL WARMING AND CAUSES A HURRICANE THAT KILLS EVERY!

nah im jkin. its gona be GREAT tho.

Comment

What I want to see is snow!

Comment

That map was made by ageia just to demonstrate their technology. It won't be in the game.

Comment

danm. if maps were THAT responsive in the environment, i would be rioting for the game.

Comment

Destructable environments would screw up gameplay to no end.

Comment

There's instances in maps where the environment can be affected. They have said there are Warfare maps where you can trigger avalanches and floods- plus the sandstorm CTF map....those are the ones I can remember anyway.

Comment

I dont know it would be pretty cool to be able to make your own stratigic points in a map. eg. blow out a chunk of this wall so I can see if theres a flank or maybe put a hole in this wall for a strategic sniping location. It would probaly work better in the strategic modes like ctf, tdm, war. Not so much for deathmatch.

Comment

OMG this map demonstration has been out for months, where have you been hiding.. besides I sooo DONT want any of that in my UT, i like lightning etc but that map it so not kool

Comment

Originally posted by sincreator View Post
                        ... it would be pretty cool to be able to make your own stratigic points in a map. eg. blow out a chunk of this wall so I can see if theres a flank or maybe put a hole in this wall for a strategic sniping location.
                        You can do that with UE3/UT3 (Kismet etc.).
                        Just like you can do something like that with UT2004 (Triggered Movers etc.).

Comment

distructable enviroments is the future.....

nothing is more irritating then shooting at a door made of wood and nothing happening.. dammit, after so many shots with a rocket launcher.. it bloody well should fly apart...

then lvl designers would likely start using the "building made of straw>Sticks~>Brick~>Steel~>Massive Force Fields" approach...

i mean we aren't talking about blowing out a side of a mountain with a freaking rocket launcher, but an avalanch caused by a redeemer would be pretty **** cool.

Just think of suspense, being able to snap the main suspense cables, bring the bridge down, and then having only one land method to get across to the other side.... OR blowing chunks outa the **** to the "north?" to flood out the bottom portion of the map...

Seriously, a whole lot of cool things could be done, obviously some taking more damage to create then other, i think to destroy the dam alone would require no less then 10 redeemers point blank in the same location..... cutting a main cable would take a whole lot of bullets (rockets probably wouldn't be all that effective)....

Comment

Originally posted by DHJudas View Post
                            Only for single-player games.
                            If the environment is too interactive the game will crawl for online play due to all of the required replication.
                            Making a multi-player fps game with a realistic interactive environment causes a lot of technical and gameplay issues.

Just think of suspense, being able to snap the main suspense cables, bring the bridge down, and then having only one land method to get across to the other side
                            Limiting the map to a single path or choke point after the environment is destroyed will kill the game play.

Comment

It's actually the past.

Red Faction.

Red Faction is a first-person shooter video game that was released in 2001 for the PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, and Macintosh by THQ and Volition. A version for the Nokia N-Gage was developed by Monkeystone Games. And the game was re-developed as a top-down shooter for the mobile phone version.[1]

Red Faction takes place on Mars in the 22nd century. The player controls a miner named Parker who helps lead a rebellion against the Ultor Corporation. The premiere feature of the game is its "Geo-Mod" technology, short for "geometry modification", which provided destructible environments, allowing the player to destroy certain sections of the scenery in the game. For example, instead of opening a door, a player could blast through the rock surrounding the door.[2]

Gameplay

One of the main "selling points" of Red Faction was the game engine's GeoMod technology, which allowed players to significantly alter and otherwise affect the surrounding terrain and buildings, either with explosives or otherwise. Past games had allowed limited alteration of the environment through scripted means, or special triggered areas which would add or remove certain predefined level elements. Red Faction was the first game to allow players relatively limitless level-altering possibilities.[citation needed] In fact, many of the areas in the first few levels, such as a hidden underground lake, serve little purpose other than showcasing the capabilities of the GeoMod technology.

GeoMod allows the player to alter (and destroy) the environment so significantly because of the way it designates altered (or "GeoModded") areas. Whereas other game engines would have to modify the shape of the altered object to create a similar effect, GeoMod creates special objects which represent empty space. When, for example, an explosion blows a hole in a rock wall, the GeoMod technology creates an "empty space" object which is the approximate size and shape of the explosion. The training level uses a much larger "empty space" object than the rocket launcher is able to produce in other circumstances, simply because tunnelling is required to complete part of the level.

The use of these "empty space" objects is not limited to in-game environment alteration. Some of the objects in the game, such as the wastebaskets found in certain office areas, are stored as one solid shape with another "empty space" shape defined within it.

Geomod has become popular in multiplayer as players tend to build "tunnels" with explosive weapons. For example, in the warlords level, players could create caves using rocket launchers by repeatedly shooting a wall with the rocket launcher or using the remote detonators (or occasionally the fusion rocket launcher and grenades). Some players build tunnels for an advantage because they could hide in them and use a sniper rifle to pick off enemies. In CTF games, players build tunnels as a shortcut into an enemy base to gain an advantage in capturing their flags.

One of the main criticisms of the game was inconsistency in the use of GeoMod, mostly owing to the design limitations of linear first-person shooters. Where the game needed to halt the player's progress, locked doors and appropriate nearby walls were invulnerable to attack; players were not allowed to circumvent the obstruction using their own initiative, except in a few cases presumed to be glitches. Another deblitating issue was lack of ammunition for the explosive weapons needed. It was sparse throughout the single-player experience, meaning opportunity for GeoMod experimentation was severely limited. Other, less justifiable inconsistencies in the use of GeoMod could be found in the game; some players noted how it was possible to blow holes in the rocky caverns of the mines, yet at the same time the partitions in office cubicles were completely indestructible. Despite these and other GeoMod issues in the single-player game, critics were essentially unanimous in their praise of the system in multiplayer matches.[citation needed]

And here we are 6 years later...

The game industry seems to pay more attention to continuously improving graphics rather than working on new revolutionary features. Which is a shame. Perhaps it is directly related to the advancements in graphics card technology. But I am no expert on it, so I can't say with any certainty.

When NEW graphics are SHOWN everyone (including me) goes "WOW!" but when playing new games, what is always on my mind is "it would be amazing if this-and-this feature would be included in this kind of game" and not "I want even better graphics"

Current graphics seem and remain amazing until we get used to new and better ones imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X