Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Upgrading Questions

Hello All,
    I have not been a hardcore PC gamer, so I apologize if I am a little ignorant.
    I just upgraded my CPU from a 3200+ Athlon XP to a 4600+ Athlon X2.
    I was under the impression that I would get a noticable boost in performance.
    UT2k4 has long been one of my favorite games, so I was really more than willing to upgrade my comp to run UT3 well.
    However, after upgrade, I'm not sure I notice an increase in my game performance, not only in UT3 but in other games as well.
    I was running at 1280 x 1024 with max settings before and after the upgrade, but I'm pretty sure fps under both conditions were around 25-35 fps.
    I use a geforce 7950GT 256mb version, and I have 2gb of ram.
    I realize it could be that my graphics card is the bottle neck, but I didn't think it would have been.
    I was wondering if possibly after replacing a CPU, do you have to reinstall anything? or change any settings for the computer before you see an increase in performance?
    Again, if I shouldn't have expected a gigantic increase in performance, I apologize for the question. However, I am underwhelmed with the upgrade so far.
    Any help would be really appreciated.

The Beta is plagued with a lot of reasons why FPS decrease. Having xfire opened, memory leaks, minimizing UT, etc.

I usually pull 60-90fps, but with the above factors, I've seen it drop all the way down to 20-30fps. I say try reboot, don't open anything else and immediately play UT3 and see how it runs.

What I'm not really sure, though, is how that 256mb on the video card affects performance. With your system, you should most certainly be in the 30-50fps range or possibly a little higher.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.
      To see the fps not drop down to around 20 or possibly lower was my whole purpose for getting this upgrade. It played just fine under my old processor, but I really don't want to drop the resolution to 1024 x 768 just to ensure I don't see a momentary, slight, choppiness. This still happens with the upgrade. It's certainly barely noticeable, but if i knew it would still be like this after the upgrade, I would've just saved my money and used it on the actual game.
      I don't have a large monitor, so I don't even care about higher resolution than 1280 x 1024.

I hope something just needs to be set correctly...or something simple.
      I'll try running UT3 right at startup and see if it's any better. I think I did try this last night, and it didn't help. Thanks for the advice though!

Comment

Originally posted by yehhey311 View Post
        Hello All,
        I have not been a hardcore PC gamer, so I apologize if I am a little ignorant.
        I just upgraded my CPU from a 3200+ Athlon XP to a 4600+ Athlon X2.
        I was under the impression that I would get a noticable boost in performance.
        UT2k4 has long been one of my favorite games, so I was really more than willing to upgrade my comp to run UT3 well.
        However, after upgrade, I'm not sure I notice an increase in my game performance, not only in UT3 but in other games as well.
        I was running at 1280 x 1024 with max settings before and after the upgrade, but I'm pretty sure fps under both conditions were around 25-35 fps.
        I use a geforce 7950GT 256mb version, and I have 2gb of ram.
        I realize it could be that my graphics card is the bottle neck, but I didn't think it would have been.
        I was wondering if possibly after replacing a CPU, do you have to reinstall anything? or change any settings for the computer before you see an increase in performance?
        Again, if I shouldn't have expected a gigantic increase in performance, I apologize for the question. However, I am underwhelmed with the upgrade so far.
        Any help would be really appreciated.
        What motherboard? It sounds to me, because you had a athlon XP, socket A MB with AGP, that your video card is an AGP type, It also sounds like you are still using the AGP card on your upgraded motherboard? How about you list some of those details so we know what your talking about. List what your system specs are, also list memory amount, type, and speed.

Comment

If I had to guess, the video card is your bottleneck.

If this is the case, then I wouldn't expect an increase in performance with a cpu upgrade.

Comment

whoops. I might have said it wrong before, but looking at my intial set up,
            I had Athlon 64 3200+ socket AM2 single core processor
            2gb DDR2 667 ram
            BFG Geforce 7950GT 256mb
            MSI Socket K9VGM-V motherboard, which supports both single core and dual core AMD processors
            and i forget the brand, maybe an Antec 500W power supply.

I upgraded the Athlon 64 3200+ (runs at about 2.0 GHz) to a Athlon 64 X2 4600+ dual core (runs two cores at 2.4GHz).

I realize, the problem very well might be that the 256mb of video ram is just being the bottleneck.
            However, with pretty much nill gain in performance, what I suspect is something didn't go right with the installation, or windows, or something. It seems like only one core is running, or like windows is only set up to use one core, or not optimized or something. I have yet to try fully exploring what's going on with my device manager and installing new AMD drivers, which I'll try next.
            I was hoping someone went through a similar situation.

Comment

Also, i figured 1280 x 1024 wasn't a high enough resolution that video memory capacity would affect the performance enough to bottleneck a processor upgrade entirely.
              It certainly doesn't look like it when looking at the anandtech's tests.

Comment

The change from one amd cpu to the other will only give an incremental boost to performance according to this handy calculator.

http://www.ut2341.com/UT3SystemScore/

Have you fully tweaked the ini?

Comment

I wasn't expecting a 100% increase, but something noticeable.
                  http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=4
                  This shows a 60% increase. I know my gfx card probably won't allow for a 60% increase, but I am seeing not much increase if at all. If i were seeing a good 5fps increase on average, I wouldn't have made this post and would've probably been reasonably satisfied.
                  I have not fully tweaked the ini.

Comment

I'm, still having probs finding a mobo for my first built, is this 1 good ?
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128059

Comment

It was given the e-zone 'choice' award in Afghanistan in August of this year.

What more can I add?

Comment

This shows a 60% increase. I know my gfx card probably won't allow for a 60% increase, but I am seeing not much increase if at all. If i were seeing a good 5fps increase on average, I wouldn't have made this post and would've probably been reasonably satisfied.
                        You never specified if you have AGP or PCIE graphics. In any case a card with 256mb is going to limit your resolution to 1280x1024 with low to medium details. The 8800GT is the best card to buy.

UT3 runs better on Intel processors probably because of the much larger on chip cache memory. The AMD either have 512k or 1Mb per core, where the Intel chips have 2 Mb or 4Mb per core. You went from a single core 2.0GHz to a dual core 2.0GHz. (Cheap chips) EPIC recommends a 2.4GHz or higher dual core. The dual core 4800+ AM2 or higher fit into this category. The Intel chips are 10-20% faster at the same clock speeds right now due to the larger cache and better design.

Comment

FYI, You need the AMD dual core optimizer for XP to see the 2nd core. Get from AMD.com

Comment

pci-e.....
                            i found out that windows only recognizes one core.
                            I have to do a windows repair install so that windows can "install" and set the configuration to dual core.
                            windows repair install sucks! so many errors and things that are freaking me out.
                            whew, got windows back up and running. now it sees two cores, but i gotta get back all the service packs and updates to windows.
                            which it's not liking...
                            this is so much trouble. i only hope it'll be worth it!

Comment

finally, an increase! still, i rarely get a 25fps, but finally i see an increase in fps. I see 60fps sometimes, when nothings happening, and 40 fps when there's some stuff happening. not a huge, huge increase, but at least i see that my upgrade did SOMETHING. the rest must be the 256 mb video memory bottleneck or just flat out too much going on the screen.
                              thanks everyone for taking time to read and respond.
                              even though no one blamed it on windows being bad, the true culprit, i appreciate everyone's time.

Comment

Working...
                              X