Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Geforce 8800 GTS runs hits 71 degrees... bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Geforce 8800 GTS runs hits 71 degrees... bad?

71 degrees seems pretty damned hot to me. Is this normal? Or is my computer about to melt?

Edit: Typo in the title. Meh.

It's normal.

Comment

It's normal.
      really?

For CPU's thats a bad temp right? (or the highest you'd be safe with).

Comment

That's not gonna kill your card right away, but I advice you to take that atleast under 60 with better cooling if you want to keep that card a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
          really?

For CPU's thats a bad temp right? (or the highest you'd be safe with).
          Ya that would be a problem if it were your cpu.

But for Gpu's thats low. Ive heard some of PNY's gt's are getting as hot as 90*c(which is a little hot. I wouldnt be comfortable with that temp. If it gets over 95 Id RMA it). My 8800GTX gets up to about 74 75 at full load,idles around 68 and its got a mamoth cooler on it The only bad thing with the gt's is the hot air goes right into the case, potentially raising MB and CPU temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Taboen View Post
            That's not gonna kill your card right away, but I advice you to take that atleast under 60 with better cooling if you want to keep that card a few more years.

Cards have been running in the 70*c range for a few generations now. The 9800's/5800's had Idle temps over 75.

Comment

when it hits over 100C is when u should start worrying

Comment

when i get my new 8800gt (yer, i listened to the good opinions by some kewl people here ) im really gona need cooling... im even maybe considering Liquid Nitorgen cooling (incredibly expesive tho)

Comment

with my 7950GX2, minimal temperature is 70 degrees. (at idle)
                  when gaming, it goes around 85 degrees :P

Comment

I also have 8800GTS and similar temperatures, until I installed 92mm fan on my case panel, which lowered temperatures a bit. Now its around 65 C idle, but I've seen it reaching 79 C after few hours of UT3.
                    Alternatively you might replace stock nVidia cooling with stronger one (Zalman VF1000 or Thermalright HR-03).

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
                      when i get my new 8800gt (yer, i listened to the good opinions by some kewl people here ) im really gona need cooling... im even maybe considering Liquid Nitorgen cooling (incredibly expesive tho)
                      Get real, LN2 is for the lab, not home. A side mounted fan directed at the card works great. I have 2 7950GT cards, 570MHz clocks, passive cooling, in SLI in an aluminum Lian Li case. I have a 120m fan mounted in the side cover blowing filtered air directly at them. GPU temps never exceed 62C, 110C is the setpoint for slowdown. Case also has a 120mm fan in the lower front blowing air in over the ATA and SATA drives. The air is exhausted via the power supply, a rear 80mm, and a top blow hole 80mm fan. An Atlas Vanessa type L, with 120mm fan, cools the CPU running with slight, 10%, OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Taboen View Post
                        Not true. 70 degrees is a perfectly normal idle temp for an 8800. Temperatures of 80 degrees under load are nothing to worry about either - your card will speed up and slow down its fan to keep its core temp around 80 under load, while remaining as quiet as possible.

Comment

how do u guyz find out the temp of vid card?

i have pc wizard but it doesn't show that

Comment

Check what MB you have, check for optional software.
                            (asus ==> asprobe, ...)
                            you can also buy a real thermometer with little wires to the zones you want to record.
                            isn't so interesting though...

If you don't overclock your GPU, you normally shouldn't worry about heating ...

Comment

shoot man, instead of peeps researching alternative fuels, we should just make mods that allow us to fry our eggs on the heat from the video card

Comment

Working...
                              X