New video card help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    The ATI Radeon HD3800 series comes out late this week. I'm buying a HD3870. They look like really nice cards. They should be at least as good as the 8800GT and probably better.

AMD's Phenom quad cores and RD790 chipset boards come out next week. There's at least one board that can take four Radeon cards in Quadfire mode, at least when the drivers come out. The HD3870's are going to be well under $300. theinquirer.net got ahold of a RD790 board and overclocked a X2 5000+ Black Edition to insane levels. It looks like all the new AMD gear will overclock really well if you have the right cooling and power supply.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Stryker MS View Post
    Looks like a decent card. Iv never been a fan of ATI, but it looks like my only choice for a card that will run around 40 fps for UT3.
    Yeah. I don't like ATI as much either, but this seems to be one of the best options in this price range.

It may do better than 40 fps. That x1950 GT, while AGP, should be much better than the 8500GT PCI-E you were looking at. The x1950 GT PCI-E version seems to do as well as the 8600GTS in tests. See toms hardware vga charts and compare it to the 8600GTS in the different games:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=296

I get over 60fps average on Suspense at 1400x1050 after tweaking some of the ini with my 8600GTS. So I'd bet, contrary to what that other post said, that you could get in the 50's at 1280, but it sort of depends on your processor.

So keep that card in mind. A much better solution than upgrading your board to use (and buy) the 8500GT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks like a decent card. Iv never been a fan of ATI, but it looks like my only choice for a card that will run around 40 fps for UT3. Im gonna hold off for a while, untill the game comes out, mabe even January to pick up any upgrades. Hopefully my laptop will be done pretty soon so i can check to see what it gets for fps. Im hoping we can get it running like a desktop, but it seems like after a month from being repaired its always slowed down to a halt in performance. NEVER i repeate NEVER! buy something from http://www.xtremenotebooks.com/
    Looking now that i have a better understanding of prices, i could have made a custom one for 1/2 the price or less. and it would be a lot more reliable. I feel like i stole money from my parents for getting it basically. if he cant get it to work, im gonna mount it into a case with liquid cooling or something lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Stryker MS View Post
    bah, looks like im just gonna have to ditch this old bird and hopefully the laptop can play it for a couple hours at a time without turning to plasma lol. thanks for the help.
    Don't give up before checking out the Sapphire x1950 gt:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102093

Read the reviews on Newegg. Sounds like an excellent card for getting by with. I researched it a little as a possible upgrade for a secondary machine I have. Notice that someone on the forums has posted some FPS

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...7&postcount=30

If you used some of the tweaks listed in the forums, you could certainly get that card to average in the 40's at 1024x768 if not at 1280 res.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    bah, looks like im just gonna have to ditch this old bird and hopefully the laptop can play it for a couple hours at a time without turning to plasma lol. thanks for the help. Anyone happen to know a good technique for turning a gaming laptop into a desktopish type of fragboxy thing lol. Maybe mod the flip top screen into a stand alone monitor. IDK maybe im talking crazy.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Brutal View Post
    Buying an AM2 board right now is not a good value. Intel has so much better performance. Planning for an upgrade first depends on your budget for it. The budget drives what components give you the best bang for the buck. Future upgrades, like installing a better CPU when prices fall, must also be taken into account. Getting a main board with pcie 2.0 and capable for faster multi core cpu is a good idea as chip prices will fall over time for future upgrade. A pcie 2.0 capable board has 2X the bandwith of todays pcie 16x slots.The 8800GT already is and all future cards will be pcie 2.0 standard. The current AMD AM2 socket will go the way of socket 939 by the end of next year if not sooner. Intel has the better deal right now for a gaming rig.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LeaderX View Post
    That's a good mobo... and, like everyone else said, you can't go wrong with the 8800GT... I'm trading my 8600GTSs for two 8800GTs... can't wait!
    I was going to do that. But I heard they coming out with the G92....it's just like the gt but better.

Here is a link http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=582726

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's a good mobo... and, like everyone else said, you can't go wrong with the 8800GT... I'm trading my 8600GTSs for two 8800GTs... can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Stellar View Post
    $794 = Shuttle SG33G5B + Core 2 Duo + Leadtek PX8800GT
    if that C2D is a 6x50, then you should be good. Even better when you overclock it to get a 1333MHz bus.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    Don't even bother buying a new AGP card. It's going to cost you way more than $400 to run UT3 decent. You will need new motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, and video card. Your looking at like $1k, min.

Your best bet is to pick up a AGP card on ebay. A X1900XT or 7900GT for cheap and then save up for that pc upgrade.
    Good idea for the ebay search. Use this GPU chart to help guage power.

I think one can build a $600usd computer (without monitor) fairly easy & get 60FPS, maybe more if you don't mind overclocking.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Stellar View Post
    well ****, now im in a delima... here is what i was planning to get...

$780 = Shuttle SG33G5B + Core 2 Quad + XFX PVT84GYDQ3 GeForce 8600GTS

so now im lookin at this card and thinkin ...

i dunno. the quad core is 2.4ghz, does that mean 4 600mhz cores, or 4 2.4ghz cores? im not really sure what the best bang for the buck would be :/
    Welp I just got a Q6600 g0, and coming from a E6420 Conread 2.13, it dam significant. Everything loads quick fast...and i get about 20 more fps consistent on ut3.

I also read that nvidia is coming out with NEWER new cards early december. So maybe you should wait for them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well ****, now im in a delima... here is what i was planning to get...

$780 = Shuttle SG33G5B + Core 2 Quad + XFX PVT84GYDQ3 GeForce 8600GTS

so now im lookin at this card and thinkin ...

i dunno. the quad core is 2.4ghz, does that mean 4 600mhz cores, or 4 2.4ghz cores? im not really sure what the best bang for the buck would be :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have a
    p4 2.8ghz
    1gig ram
    EVGA Geforce 7800gs agp

In the demo my settings are
    textures 5
    details 2

I get 30-40 fps averages.(it can reach the low 20's though) Bought it from frys.com. Theere was a rebate special to get it for 100$, but they are still the cheapest at 133$ now.(aside from ebay)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Brutal View Post
    MSI makes good mobos. I just purchased the Intel version of that one. Oh... and I have an 8800GT 512MB on the way to slap in that puppy!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is this a good mobo ?
    http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...5&body=REVIEWS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X