New video card help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New video card help.

Im running on an Nvidia 5700 right now, and im going to need to update for the release. I got this custom built computer from Cyberpower about 4 years ago. I have 1.5gigs of ram, intel p4 2.8 GHz. My motherboard has 5 PCI and 1 AGP slots, which is my problem. I cant find a worthy card, because i dont have PCI-e. Should i upgrade my motherboard, so i get some PCI-es? If i do, im not sure what card i should get. Im trying to stay under 200, but pref around 100 if i need to upgrade my motherboard. Im trying to look for mabe an 8 series. This was what i was looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150245 But the PCI-e is the problem. If someone could tell me what i should upgrade to get a decent running system and the estimated cost, i would be so happy. If its gonna cost around 400, ill just go and buy a PS3, and load Linux on it. Im sure i can get UT3 installed through those means right? (Im not sure, of course)
    -Ty

It depends on what kind of average fps your looking for. It would likely cost more than $400 for constant 50+ fps (with tweaks). You current processor will be the bottleneck with a top of the line video card since it isn't dual core. Your MB dosen't support upgrading to a dual core does it? If it dosen't, you'll need a new MB anyway, which might mean new memory also.

As far as I know you can't run modern 3D games yet on Linux for the PS3. Even if it did work someday I would expect a lot of issues.

Don't get that 8500GT card though, it is slow, slower than some 6 series cards.

Comment

Go for the best mid range card.
      http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/

Comment

get the 8800GT 512mb u wont regret it and its cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker MS View Post
          Im running on an Nvidia 5700 right now, and im going to need to update for the release. I got this custom built computer from Cyberpower about 4 years ago. I have 1.5gigs of ram, intel p4 2.8 GHz. My motherboard has 5 PCI and 1 AGP slots, which is my problem. I cant find a worthy card, because i dont have PCI-e. Should i upgrade my motherboard, so i get some PCI-es? If i do, im not sure what card i should get. Im trying to stay under 200, but pref around 100 if i need to upgrade my motherboard. Im trying to look for mabe an 8 series. This was what i was looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150245 But the PCI-e is the problem. If someone could tell me what i should upgrade to get a decent running system and the estimated cost, i would be so happy. If its gonna cost around 400, ill just go and buy a PS3, and load Linux on it. Im sure i can get UT3 installed through those means right? (Im not sure, of course)
          -Ty
          Don't even bother buying a new AGP card. It's going to cost you way more than $400 to run UT3 decent. You will need new motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, and video card. Your looking at like $1k, min.

Your best bet is to pick up a AGP card on ebay. A X1900XT or 7900GT for cheap and then save up for that pc upgrade.

Comment

Well, personally I would save until you could make the jump to a new motherboard. Then, the clear victor in videocards is the 8800 GT. The performance of a 500$ card a few months ago for $250.

Comment

Originally posted by Vir View Post
              He has AGP. But yeah, thats a great card for the money.

Comment

Sadly agp aint the best anymore for todays gaming. Might save for a new mobo aswell and hope your processor and ram goes along with it

Comment

Is this a good mobo ?
                  http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...5&body=REVIEWS

Comment

Originally posted by Brutal View Post
                    MSI makes good mobos. I just purchased the Intel version of that one. Oh... and I have an 8800GT 512MB on the way to slap in that puppy!!

Comment

I have a
                      p4 2.8ghz
                      1gig ram
                      EVGA Geforce 7800gs agp

In the demo my settings are
                      textures 5
                      details 2

I get 30-40 fps averages.(it can reach the low 20's though) Bought it from frys.com. Theere was a rebate special to get it for 100$, but they are still the cheapest at 133$ now.(aside from ebay)

Comment

well ****, now im in a delima... here is what i was planning to get...

$780 = Shuttle SG33G5B + Core 2 Quad + XFX PVT84GYDQ3 GeForce 8600GTS

so now im lookin at this card and thinkin ...

$794 = Shuttle SG33G5B + Core 2 Duo + Leadtek PX8800GT

i dunno. the quad core is 2.4ghz, does that mean 4 600mhz cores, or 4 2.4ghz cores? im not really sure what the best bang for the buck would be :/

Comment

Originally posted by Stellar View Post
                          well ****, now im in a delima... here is what i was planning to get...

$780 = Shuttle SG33G5B + Core 2 Quad + XFX PVT84GYDQ3 GeForce 8600GTS

so now im lookin at this card and thinkin ...

i dunno. the quad core is 2.4ghz, does that mean 4 600mhz cores, or 4 2.4ghz cores? im not really sure what the best bang for the buck would be :/
                          Welp I just got a Q6600 g0, and coming from a E6420 Conread 2.13, it dam significant. Everything loads quick fast...and i get about 20 more fps consistent on ut3.

I also read that nvidia is coming out with NEWER new cards early december. So maybe you should wait for them

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                            Don't even bother buying a new AGP card. It's going to cost you way more than $400 to run UT3 decent. You will need new motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, and video card. Your looking at like $1k, min.

Your best bet is to pick up a AGP card on ebay. A X1900XT or 7900GT for cheap and then save up for that pc upgrade.
                            Good idea for the ebay search. Use this GPU chart to help guage power.

I think one can build a $600usd computer (without monitor) fairly easy & get 60FPS, maybe more if you don't mind overclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellar View Post
                              if that C2D is a 6x50, then you should be good. Even better when you overclock it to get a 1333MHz bus.

Comment

Working...
                              X